JKD's Tim Tackett, top Bruce Lee student teaching NFL players to apply MA movement to their game.

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussions' started by ghost, Jul 25, 2012.

1. ghost

ghost Disciple

Love this. Basically, showing escapes to get around an opponent: pass-rush. Enjoy
    RJ Clark and Deborah like this.
  2. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

That's fantastic. I'd love to see martial arts introduced into other sports. Swimming perhaps :)
    ghost and Deborah like this.
  3. Deborah

Deborah Ninja

Did you know it was Bruce Lee that first introduced The kick shield from the training on the equipment used in American football?? Yet another way Bruce Lee adapted for His style......Love, peace and respects sweetfart xxxXXXxxx
    RJ Clark, Bruce and ghost like this.
  4. ghost

ghost Disciple

Most of these movements demonstrated are related to the Filipino/Indonesian fighting styles incorporated into JKD. I, especially, favor the unarmed "de-fanging" techniques of Escrima and its other related Pacific Rim cousins. The first time I viewed this video and saw the simulated elbow strike into the bicep and the mild finger thrust into the throat of that blocker, I couldn't believe these were acceptable in the NFL. But they're great combat techniques in tight quarters where you may be backed into a wall or in a narrow hallway or walled-in walkway.
    RJ Clark and Deborah like this.
  5. Sensei Martin

Sensei Martin Warrior Monk

Elvis Stojko, who is the only person who has ever done a quadruple jump in figure skating, attributes his abilities directly to his Kempo and TKD training background.

His 2002 Olympic performance was done to a composition called Dragon ... which was a tribute to Bruce Lee, and was done wearing a Kung Fu uniform. Kung Fu moves were so obvious in the routine.

He actually still teaches martial arts north of Toronto and also west of there, and competes at many martial art tournaments. Several of my colleagues know him.

This is a fine example of martial arts physical and mental training as applied in sports in general.
    Deborah and RJ Clark like this.
  6. Enkidu

Enkidu Destroyer of your martial arts fantasies

My best friend is a former NFL football player who played left tackle and was an all-American at Georgia Tech. He told me that when he was a Georgia Tech, the coaches had the offensive linemen study various martial arts' hand-fighting techniques to assist with blocking.
    Deborah, ghost and RJ Clark like this.
  7. Enkidu

Enkidu Destroyer of your martial arts fantasies

You would be amazed what they get away with in football and what is acceptable. You may have seen that defensive linemen jump up to swat down passes when they cannot get close enough to the QB to either pressure or hit him. What you may not know (and that I learned from my friend) is that offensive linemen are taught to punch defensive linemen in the nuts or gut if they do jump up to swat down passes!!
    Deborah, ghost and RJ Clark like this.