MOST REALISTIC COMBAT ART?

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Franco, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Franco

Franco BUDO

A friend mentioned that he read somewhere a Bruce Lee article were he mentions Judo as the most realistic combative of the arts I imagined without the competition rules of course. Does anybody knows about this statement?

3. David Manson

David Manson Disciple

I,ve never heard that from Bruce but I can understand why he might have said that. It's been said that Judo is a soft or passive martial art because you can repeatedly but an oppionant on his ass without ever striking him. When I was a cop that was oh so important. Thats why I practiced it.

4. D. WOODS

D. WOODS Shaolin Toad

I would think Silat or the fma are the most realistic since they use weapons, strikes and grappling.

Sherratt likes this.
  5. Gone

Gone Guest

Krav Maga, probably.

Dpendleton and Muay Thai Samurai like this.
  6. Sherratt

Sherratt Disciple

not so much that its the flow I think about with FMA. depending on how its taught and used Wing Chun and Taiji would also very effective

He raises a very good point about WC

Vldz, Dave76 and Master of Nothing like this.
  7. Semper Gumby

Semper Gumby Disciple

I had never read that Lee had said that. Judo is a great art and I can see the validity of that statement when dealing with non competition Judo. He often wrote about western boxing, fencing and wrestling. I don't think there can/will be an answer to the best/most effective/realistic/practical/ arts question. Too many variables with each individual; and there are only so many ways to hit a guy in the face.

Sherratt likes this.
  8. Semper Gumby

Semper Gumby Disciple

Master Wong, I enjoy watching his videos.

SifuPhil and Sherratt like this.
  9. Sherratt

Sherratt Disciple

so do I. Its actually very applicable to most striking arts particularly ones like ITF TKD

10. Andy Homer

Andy Homer Disciple

I think that any art that teaches how to fight at all ranges is realistic, But the practitioners ability to apply what they have learned in the dojo in the real world is also valid.

11. Muay Thai Samurai

Muay Thai Samurai Never Back Down

Agreed it is designed for modern situations therefore making it realistic

Dpendleton likes this.
  12. Enkidu

Enkidu Destroyer of your martial arts fantasies

I don't know what Krav Maga is like in Israel, but here in Los Angeles, it has a McDojo-esque feel to it.

I would pick MCMAP.

Nexquietus and Aaron like this.
  13. tony7

tony7 Disciple

i think the most realistic combat art, is what works for you, some feel comfortable using kicks, some punches, and so on, whatever you can learn that feels natural and works is what matters , no style can offer complete resolution to defense,however, your biggest natural weapon is your will to survive, and when faced with death, you be surprised what you will be able to overcome, i hope it never happens to anyone else....

Vldz, SifuPhil, Dave76 and 1 other person like this.
  14. Johnny186

Johnny186 Initiate

As a career cop and life long martial artist I find Judo adapted to No-Gi grips with a blend of Muay Thai clinch work to be most effective..

RJ Clark and Enkidu like this.
  15. ghost

ghost Disciple

I personally find it difficult to judge which arts are the most effective. Unless you have experience using your stuff against others' you're not going to get even a good feel for comparison. I don't know if Bruce Lee ever stated Judo's the most realistic of combatives. But he highly respected both, this art and one of its great exponents, Gene Lebell. I agree with that sentiment. Although, I don't consider myself a Judoka, I pick up stuff working out with my Judo friends all of the time. As far as, it being a "soft", passive or gentle art, I humbly disagree with those who have coined this description. There is nothing worse than being hit by the ground.

16. Master of Nothing

Master of Nothing Psychotic Pacifist

I find if all thing being equal. The one with the highest threshold for violence usually comes out on top. You can have a high capacity for it while remaining calm. Or you can have the mind twisting enjoyment for it. So, my answer would be Experience. Its a "pain" to acquire in the beginning. But, if you make it through the transition phase. You get it just becomes another event or situation in your life.

17. Gone

Gone Guest

That would also be another very good one to train in.

There are numerous very real, practical martial arts but then there is the question of accessibility.

And in most countries it would be easier to find a Krav Maga gym than a MCMAP gym.

I am noticing a trend in martial arts where some individuals are developing a "combat" counterpart to the original traditional/sports art. The newest one I believe is Combat Hapkido.

Some, like MCMAP, are combat at their core and that's probably all they ever will be. But some traditional arts are taking a modern, self defence/combat approach.

Sherratt and Master of Nothing like this.
  18. Sherratt

Sherratt Disciple

Being in New Zealand lower north island and thus quite far away from auckland wile its relitivley easy to find say TKD, Karate (there are two Karate dojos in my town but i digress) some (but still limited) Kung fu, TKD Boxing, Muay Tai, bjj, kendo and i think (but am not sure about) judo and kick boxing are fine but accessibility to some of the more underexposed martial arts like FMA or fencing can be a pain. Which sucks because after 5 years of TKD those are martial arts i want to try out

19. Nexquietus

Nexquietus Disciple

It was designed from the start to be practiced at 100% and not kill a person. No other martial art was or is designed that way. That said, The things we have all learned for "self defense" cannot be tried at 100% in a dojo, unless you are using padded weapons, and even then, there is a bit of a different feel.

I love Judo, and yeah, it does get you real comfortable is a clinch or on the ground. Thing is, it's a good adjunct to other more damaging things. Real Krav Maga (not most of the Mc Dojo US version) is a Combat art. MCMAP is a combat art. Pekiti Tersia Kali (what they teach the Filipino military as well as some US Special Operations forces) is a combat art. They are used in current wars. They are designed to get the job done in the modern context. They don't rely on throws to harm an armored opponent like Aikijujutsu. They Don't teach joint locks to defeat an armored opponent like Hapkido. They don't teach high kicks to de-seat cavalry.
    I can't speak for the other two, but in Pekiti Tersia, we address firearms, edged weapons, impact weapons, grappeling, locks, throws, empty hand and all the permutations therein. Everything is designed to be practical. I've said it before elsewhere, but when you assume the opponent has a weapon you are prepared for the worst.

jim

Aaron and Mr.Bond like this.
  20. Vldz

Vldz Warrior Monk

I am not sure about "Judo" being the "most realistic" combat art.

I guess it all depends in what do you mean by being "realistic".

1. Realistic in the sense that it can be done by mere human being in the dojo, dojang or gym without killing your classmate?

2. Realistic in the sense that it can be practised by all people in sporting competitive environment while still adhering to the standard of today's society and legal rules?

3. Or, realistic in the sense that "well, there is is guy trying to rape my wife at a knife point, therefore I should be programmed to kill the guy before he kills/rape my wife"?

The original post mentioned Bruce Lee, therefore I am inclined to think that Bruce being Bruce (although I never read him saying that), he didn't mean the first two definition of being "realistic". I am pretty confident Bruce meant the third definition above. Bruce is the guy who taught Steve McQueen to bite when being rear neck choked in one of his movies anyway.

If this is the case, first thing I would do is to stop putting label any ANY martial arts. Forget Judo, forget Kungfu, forget Karate, TKD, JKD, BJJ, MMA, whatever. Get rid of the labels, and drill down real deep and dirty into the bits and pieces you are being taught at any particular school.

Disclaimer: this is NOT to say that any of the MA I mentioned above is invalid, I am simply implying that being realistic means that during street fight, you will be fighting dirty and for real, you won't be thinking "hang on, I gotta pull my hand back, and I gotta snap this bit here and tense this bit there etc etc, or now now, that's not proper Gyaku-zuki etc etc"

As long as the class (more about the sensei/sifu really) teaches the students about the nature of aggression, anger management, multiple opponents, fighting in the closed space (where there are tables and chairs around etc) and all the techniques and moves are done in realistic fashion, anything can be realistic for that particular aspect of the fight.

What I meant by that, is if you go to Judo class, expecting to learn how to fire a gun, then you went to the wrong class.

at the end of the day, you still gotta learn as much as possible and from as many masters as possible.

21. Eric Dufurrena

Eric Dufurrena The Iron Fist of Fun

30 years ago, maybe. Martial arts have evolved much in the past 30 years.

Nexquietus likes this.