Star Wars Martial Arts

Discussion in 'Martial Arts Films & Videos' started by Bruce, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Bruce

Bruce Samurai

[​IMG]

Papajay likes this.
  3. Battodoka07

Battodoka07 Warrior Monk

The Grand Master of Grand Masters. Soke ni rei!

Bruce likes this.
  4. Midnight_Omni

Midnight_Omni Initiate

When I read 'Star Wars Martial Arts' I thought you would be talking about lightsabre forms/kendo. Or the Echani martial art.

5. Bruce

Bruce Samurai

My young padawan that will be for another post

6. David Manson

David Manson Disciple

The light saber routines were taught to the acters by kendo instructers. Darth Vader's costume was modeled after samuri uniforms. The movie was the primary reason i started practicing kendo in the 70s.

7. shyquille graves

shyquille graves Warrior Monk

darth maul was actually a martial artist from england and he also palyed toad from the first x men movie his double sided light saber was a beautiful and his excution was even better but none the jedi or sithe wanted to take on yoda he is a prime example of size does not matter as long as you have a badass green light saber and a great line to go with every situation nd if you ahve been around fro 900 years lol

Bruce, arron butler and dmach like this.
  8. dmach

dmach Martial Archivest

Yep Ray Park. he was also the "Good" Ninja in GI Joe

9. Aaron Hutto

Aaron Hutto Master

I remember watching the original start wars trilogy back in high school with a friend of mine who studied fencing. He always talked about how bad vadar's stance was.

10. MadoreGojuRyu

MadoreGojuRyu Master

I have read over 200 star wars novels and know a ton of the history. most people dont realize the force is based off eastern philosophy and the jedi/sith are based on the samurai. Lucas said himself in an interview that he has always loved the eastern philosophy and was fascinated with the samurai so he couldnt think of anything better to base it all off of.

Bruce and RJ Clark like this.
  11. DharkAwakening

DharkAwakening Grasshoppa

Regardless of all of the hyped up, super-theatrical we-need-to-make-sales flailSwingingStuffs going on in the other movies, I think that This scene remains the most authentic. It's LIGHT - it's Delicate, an extremely slender blade both pure and unmitigated in it's energy. With conventional pre-gun weaponry, I love the flourishes and I'm both crazed and elegant to behold :) but This weapon requires a refinement and grace in order to not be cut at each and every gesticulation.
    And uh... no. The Maul fight scene is veeeeeeeery weak. Just watch Him as if you had tunnel vision. He does very little in terms of technique or even interraction with two separate combatants. THEY mostly 'hit his sword with theirs' like when small children play with sticks. Ray Park is a good and respected wushu practitioner, I'm not putting him down. But when you see the fights in the Third prequel there's absolutely no comparison.
    Now that I've addressed the actors and cinematic appeal - I'm down with the methodology of the clip above :)

12. Midnight_Omni

Midnight_Omni Initiate

Hahaha oh wow, sorry that fight scene reminds me if this image: 249143_10150616793130026_3146780_n.jpg

dmach likes this.
  13. dmach

dmach Martial Archivest

Found this while trawling google images... :)

[​IMG]

Bruce likes this.