Training tips

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussions' started by Film Nerd 42, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Film Nerd 42

Film Nerd 42 Initiate

Hey everyone,

About a year ago I started lifting weights to improve my strength and physique. Since then I've lost a substantial amount of flexibility. Also, while my right side has always been dominate, my body seems to be more lopsided than ever. My left side, while weaker, has become noticeably bigger than my right side. Is this common? Any tips on how to even things out? Also if anyone has a few tips on how to maintain my flexibility I'd really appreciate it!

3. Bad Karma

Bad Karma Warrior Monk

I lift to tone not to bulk. Little weight, lots of reps. Also isometric training is big in my book.

4. Wastelander

Wastelander Initiate

If you stretch thoroughly after lifting, you should not lose flexibility. If you don't stretch enough/properly then your muscles will stay tight and, because you are getting stronger, they will be harder to stretch out later. It isn't that you've lost flexibility, exactly--it's just that your muscles are resisting your attempts to stretch them. After you lift, use a foam roller for self-myofascial release, then go through a thorough full-body stretching routine.

I never used to lift heavy weights, partially because I believed the "bulky muscles = slow and inflexible" myth. I added barbell lifting to my training regimen in the beginning of this year, and I have gotten stronger and just a little bigger (I'm not "bulking" from caloric intake perspective), but I haven't lost flexibility or speed.

MattCMMA, Eric Dufurrena and RJ Clark like this.
  5. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

Very good post, Wastelander! No need for me to add anything about maintaining flexibility(y)

You can do power lifting, Olympic-type lifting, and strongman training without necessarily bulking up. You certainly will gain some quality, functional muscle but you won't be "muscle-bound". Without me wasting too much time on the "bulked up" myth, just Google Olympic lifters (or powerlifters). There are some massive beasts of course but most just look very fit - toned and muscular. As I said in another post, form follows function.
    To keep it simple, you can cycle in one "heavy" session a week for upper body focused and lower body focused*. You can also combine the two all in one day if you'd like. By "focused" I mean the movements mostly hits upper or lower body. Flat barbell presses obviously hit mostly upper with almost every other muscle in the body acting as stabilizers. Whereas squats are the converse. I do a modified clean & jerk where I keep my feet slightly wider than shoulder width - mostly upper body. Then a sled drag is mostly lower, etc and so on.
    *You can still choose to do one medium/light session for each muscle/muscle group during the week also, but listen to your body so you don't over train.

I have to get going, but I can get back to this at a later time.

Eric Dufurrena likes this.
  6. Lost flexibility? Massage! Find one that specializes in Sports Massage and/or Deep Tissue. I had a partially separated shoulder and could not move very well. Chiropractor helped, but short-lived. Went on for weeks, then saw a massage therapist. Went from 30% mobility to at least 85% within hours. Much of your flexibility is due to tightened up and knotted muscles. Stretching and massage are critical to flexibility and preventing pain. Yoga is good too - P90X yoga is a bit much, but you can do it or like programs at home.

7. Film Nerd 42

Film Nerd 42 Initiate

Thanks for the tips guys!

Anything on evening out the two sides of the body?

8. Angelos Koskinas

Angelos Koskinas Initiate

in terms of flexibility i usual do a long warm up with some stretching and then stretch again after the work out. My girlfriend studies acupuncture so i would also have her need the knots in my muscles and when i would get more blood flow i would do another light stretch.

in terms of the uneven build, my roommate in college had the same issue because he was a pitcher and would throw a couple hundred fastballs with his right and his left would do anything for hours each day. The team trainer had him lift each side separately in every lift. I.e. no flat bench go with individual dumbells. during chest day he would do 1 armed pushups and do 5 with the bigger side and 10 with the smaller size. he had to do everything very gradually and add small reps here and there on individual lifts to make sure that one side isnt getting drastically stronger than the other. after a few months when he balanced out a little more he went back to doing everything on straight benches and toned down the individual lifts to try to sync the strength on both sides. He also started to practice throwing balls and pitches lefty not for actual use but to give the other side some reps.

DeeD likes this.
  9. RJ Clark

Rather than doing a lot of asymetrical training, first try simply looking at the arm that is smaller while you do your sets. It's a little trick to bump up a max lift/bring up a lagging or weak side by making the mental "connection" with the weaker arm/side. No need to get all med-tec and talk neuro-muscula-blah-blah-blah. It usually works surprisingly well, so give it a try

10. Caneman

Caneman Test all things.

Said from a psycho-somatic blah, blah, blah perspective... LOL

RJ Clark likes this.
  11. RJ Clark

I definitely streamline my posts when I'm typing on my phone:D

12. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

I should start looking on my phone but then again probably wouldnt get any work done(n)

RJ Clark likes this.