What does Taekwondo mean?

Discussion in 'Taekwondo' started by angie828, Jun 5, 2012.

1. angie828

angie828 Disciple

I have always wondered what Taekwondo meant. In short, Tae means foot, kwon means fist, and do means way. So basically it is the way of the fist and the foot.
    Deborah likes this.
  2. Andrew_

Andrew_ Initiate

You are quite right in tracing the meaning of Taekwondo. It is definitely "the way of hand and foot". Taekwondo was once rated as the No. 1 form of martial arts. I still follow few of the Taekwondo practitioners.
    Tooley likes this.
  3. angie828

angie828 Disciple

Do you practice Taekwondo? And I would be interested in knowing who you do follow.
  4. Tooley

Tooley Initiate

Translated literally, Taekwon-Do means "Art of hand and foot fighting" devised and named by the man who is acknowledged as the founder of Taekwon-Do, General Choi Hong Hi... Well that's what I've been taught. :)
  5. stevedad

stevedad Initiate

Please can anyone suggest to me which clip or books or videos to buy to get first hand knowledge on taekwando?
  6. TKCHIDO

TKCHIDO Initiate

If your after first hand knowledge of TKD then going to a class is the best thing you could do. books and videos give a lot of information but nothing beats actually doing it to find out what its all about and a lot of clips on the internet are either the worst/funny ones or the best that is out there and not the real way that things are.
  7. Michael Spivey

Michael Spivey Warrior Monk

It is important and crucial to realize that "Do" in Korean does not mean the same as "Do" does in Japanese. In Korean there is no demarcation or difference between a characterization of Do and Jutsu. In the Japanese parlance, the hard style Tang Soo Do I was taught in the 60s was a "justu" art, the Olymipic sport Tae Kwon Do that is taught today is a "do" art.

In Korean:

Tae Kwon Do - tae (태, ) means "to strike or break with foot"; kwon (권, ) means "to strike or break with fist"; and do (도, ) means "way", "method", or "path". Thus, taekwondo may be loosely translated as "the way of the hand and the foot." The name taekwondo is also written as taekwon-do, tae kwon-do, or tae kwon do by various organizations, based on historical, philosophical, or political reasons.

Tang Soo Do - The Korean pronunciation of the Chinese characters 唐手道 (Tang Shou Dao). Tang Soo Do literally means "China Hand Way" (the "Tang" refers to the Tang Dynasty). Similar characters are pronounced karate-dō in Japanese. The first character, 唐 (which initially referred to China), was later changed to 空 by Gichin Funakoshi to mean "empty" rather than "China" (空手道, or Kong Shou Dao; the Korean pronunciation of these characters is "Kong Soo Do"). Outside of the Far East, the term "Tang Soo Do" has primarily become synonymous with the Korean martial art promoted by grandmaster Hwang Kee.

Moo Duk Kwan -Hangul 무덕관, Kanji/hanja 武德館 - Moo Duk Kwan means "School (Institute) of Martial Virtue". Moo – military, chivalry, martial; within the ideograph the inner part of the symbol is the word for "stop" and the outer part means "weapon". Duk – benevolence, virtue, goodness, commanding respect; within the ideograph on the left it means "little steps" or "to happen", and on the right the character means "moral"; thus moral steps or perhaps virtuous conduct. Kwan – large building, palace, library; again within the ideograph the left part looks like a roofed building and technically means "to eat" (under a roof).
    Dinkyduda and TKCHIDO like this.
  8. Ryuus

Ryuus Initiate

Do does mean way but it's talking about the way of life

So it's Foot, Fist, Way of life. Which is where the five tenentets of Taekwondo comes into it.

Courtesy: consideration, politeness
    Integrity: honesty, sincerity, being of moral principle
    Perserverance: persistence. To continue patiently and insistently
    Self-Control: control of one's actions, emotions and desires
    Indomitable Spirit: not easily discouraged or defeated, unconquerable

As for Stevedad a good example of Taekwondo will be shown in the Olympics coming up at the end of the month. As for what you will learn will depend on where you go to learn. There are many types/organizations to learn from. Being in the Military I move around and have seen different people teach different things. For example when I was at Ft. Riley KS. I went to an ATA (American Taekwondo Association) school and they taught a lot on Olympic sparing, hook kicks, and weapons. At Ft. Knox KY I study under a traditional IMF (International Martial Arts Federation) Grand Master Instructor that concentrates on everything except weapons. One, Two, and Three step sparring, Free Sparing, Horsensures (self-defense/joint manipulation), and forms.
  9. Michael Spivey

Michael Spivey Warrior Monk

Ryuus,

What you suggest is but one possible meaning of the "do" in Tae Kwon Do.

Pronounced "do" in both Korean and Japanese and "Dao and Tao" in Chinese. The simplest translation for this character is "the way" or "a way", it can also mean roadway, street, journey, teachings, and yes as we see it used in tao te ching it can mean "a way of life".

Some of us predate the ATA and the IMF and the art we studied in the 1960s predated the nationalization of the Korean Martial Arts by then Korean Pres Park.

10. TKDLeeds

TKDLeeds Initiate

Do remember that when General Choi coined the phase "Tae Kwon-Do" he chose it as it described the martial art correctly plus it sounded like the old martial dance of Taek kyon, to try and continue historical links ie restore the history of korea, which the Japanese tried to wipe out.
  11. TKDLeeds

TKDLeeds Initiate

To add, if I may : )

When I started Tae Kwon-Do, my Master (now GrandMaster) Hwang Chae Pok, describe "Do" as prounced in Hap Ki Do, that it meant the Path of the warrior, ie to learn moral culture, the tenets as written out by General Choi, the code of conduct as a student, then as a black belt member, the theory of power, the whole circle of TKD training and apply it into your everyday life.
    To become a better person in society, at peace with yourself and surroundings.
    Scott3963 likes this.