Aikido vs Kickboxing a study.

Discussion in 'Video Instructional's' started by Locutus, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Locutus

Locutus Your fight is futile, my hands are pounding you!

He looks like a lovable teddy bear and I didn't understand a word he was saying but his moves speak for themselves.

And part two.

3. Enkidu

Enkidu Destroyer of your martial arts fantasies

I am sure that Aikido has some useful moves in it, but why is it that I never actually see Aikido being used in real sparring and only in demonstrations?

SifuPhil likes this.
  4. Locutus

SifuPhil likes this.
  5. Enkidu

I saw the video...

Let me put this nicely... I am still waiting to see it used effectively in a non-demonstration manner.

6. Locutus

Gee your a hard one to please :) I suggest then you go and find an equivalent Aikido belt to yours and pick a fight with them :devil: I very much doubt you will find out any other way, or be convinced, as that is not how the way of Aiki works. Also you will notice that in that video they were going full out and they were actually surprised. You will also notice that the Aikido guy had been doing it for 25 years.

And why put it nicely. I'm a grown guy and can take a bit of keyboard bashing :troll:

SifuPhil likes this.
  7. Enkidu

Okay. It looks totally staged to me. The MMA fighter and karate guy aren't really fighting at all. It doesn't look even vaguely real to my eye but just like about every other Aikido demo I have seen. In the world of the Internet and YouTube you would expect at least a handful of videos actually showing a real sparring session, challenge match, sport fight, or street fight where Aikido proves to be capable of anything like what we see in this or many other demos. Until I see evidence, I remain skeptical.

RJ Clark and MattCMMA like this.
  8. Pedro

Pedro Baek Doo San

Do you practice Aikido? If so, do you spar in class? I think i've seen something about Aikido being more of a self defense art, and for that, as Krav Maga, people don't spar with the specific Aikido techniques, I even remember a joke that said an Aikido (or Tai Chi...:confused:) match would be only two people staring at each other waiting for the opponent to attack.

Dave76 and Sabomnim Dan like this.
  9. Mr.Bond

Mr.Bond Big Ass Dog

I posted a video a while back where there as a style of Aikido where there was something closer to sparring...

10. MattCMMA

MattCMMA Master

Can't seem to find it in any of your past posts. Care to repost it?

11. Mr.Bond

Mr.Bond Big Ass Dog

12. Mr.Bond

Mr.Bond Big Ass Dog

Here, Google "tomiki randori"

13. Mr.Bond

Mr.Bond Big Ass Dog

14. Locutus

I saw an Aussie Flag! I saw an Aussie Flag! Aussie! Aussie! Aussie!

ER, ahem sorry, got a bit excited there.

WOW! That guy is fatter than me. I still have some work to do then :D

Seriously this was originally an "instructional video", not Aikido is kick ass against other martial arts video, but I should have realised the forum I was posting it on. :)

Besides, I personally believe that Aikido would be much more effective in a fight than doing squats with a tug toner. Scenario...Two muggers approach Enkido. He does some power squats and they go down laughing. Or. Two muggers approach Locutus. He runs, runs out of breath then flips the muggers into a passing squad car. The governer gives Locutus the keys to the city and free usage of all Aikido dojos. As well as the bodyguard job for Whitney Houston. :troll:

MattCMMA likes this.
  15. Enkidu

She died of a drug overdose. Pretty sure her body would be fairly easy to guard.

Aaron, RJ Clark and Locutus like this.
  16. Locutus

I'll get you one of these day's Enkidu....one of these days [turns around and walks off stroking cat] One of these days! :)

MattCMMA and Enkidu like this.
  17. Dave76

Dave76 Deheuol Gwyn Dragon

"He was about to deliver a kick while protecting himself with punches":confused:

Um.....yeah.

Perhaps they meant to say - setting up the kick with a combination of punches.
    Perhaps.........but they didn't :banghead:

18. Enkidu

Hey, I found one!

19. SifuPhil

SifuPhil Lucky Cat Is Lucky

@Enkidu - so what you're saying is that if it doesn't live on YouTube, it doesn't exist? That REAL Aikido cannot POSSIBLY work because you haven't found a VIDEO for it?

C'mon, E ... you know better than that.

I've used both Taijiquan and Aikido for years on the street, but I don't have any videos - does that make me non-existent?

Aaron likes this.
  20. Enkidu

Did someone hear something?

Dave76 and SifuPhil like this.
  21. Enkidu

And Phil, c'mon, you know better than that. You are too smart to play games like that. I never said Aikido cannot possibly work because I haven't seen a video demonstrating it working. Certainly there is a possibility that it can. BUT, the absence of such videos in an age where EVERYTHING makes its way to youtube doesn't speak well of there being a lot of evidence that it can do the things close to like what are shown in various Aikido demonstrations videos. I start with the null hypothesis and try to use Bayesian reasoning to assess the probability of something being true. Given what information I have available, I give a fairly low probability to Aikido being effective anywhere close to what I have seen in multiple attacker demos. I assign a higher probability (albeit less than 50%) of it being effective in a 1-on-1 encounter against a "proven" martial art.