Aikido with MMA

Discussion in 'Video Instructional's' started by Locutus, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Mr.Bond

Mr.Bond Big Ass Dog

Difficult to go from a hard art to a soft art...hardest thing was to relax and try NOT to use force...and then the technique would work best when relaxed.

Anyway, I think that we are now chatting in the thread....so I will stop it, not sure if ethical.

RJ Clark likes this.
  2. Enkidu

Enkidu Destroyer of your martial arts fantasies

Gotcha.

You should read up on the Tokyo Police Tournament of 1886.

3. Locutus

Locutus Your fight is futile, my hands are pounding you!

4. Locutus

like this?

5. Mr.Bond

Mr.Bond Big Ass Dog

The article that I posted gets into Yama Arashi....in detail.

RJ Clark likes this.
  6. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

Well, darn it Enkidu has covered this stuff pretty well! On topic with this, Ueshiba was critiqued by his peers and contemporaries (yes, while he was still alive) for Aikido becoming a watered-down less-than-combat-worthy system. Whereas Judo eclipsed JuJutsu by focusing on techniques that could be drilled and utilized in sparring at full combat speed relatively safely, which resulted in practitioners who could apply their techniques more effectively against resisting opponents.

I've covered Aikido in previous posts, mainly addressing the negative effect (for combat) that Morehei's religious advisor and philosophy had on his art. And I also stated that I would rather hear from Ueshiba's teacher who lived a warrior's life and didn't grow up as a rich privileged child with a silver spoon in his mouth and dealt with no real adversity.
    Also, my experience with Aikido is that more time is wasted "honoring" your instructors than is spent actually training (which may be in part due to a lack of combat depth so I guess they have to fill the time somehow:hilarious:) A similar system is Small Circle JuJitsu, which makes no pretense of only using the standing grappling and pain compliance unto itself as they incorporate striking in combination with their grappling techniques which makes it very viable, IME with that art.

There we go, some merciless strikes at Aikido! No more Mr Nice Guy for you Locutus!;)

Locutus likes this.
  7. RJ Clark

You can do just about anything you want to a total grappling goofball, so I guess they can apply Aikido from the guard then:whistle:

Caneman likes this.
  8. Locutus

I will take your strikes and deflect them so they come back and bite you in the ass. I am water my friend :smug:

SifuPhil and Caneman like this.
  9. RJ Clark

Well, I am fire and eventually I will get you steamed! :LOL:

SifuPhil, Caneman and Locutus like this.
  10. Locutus

By then you will be quenched.

Caneman likes this.
  11. RJ Clark

This is starting to sound like Megamind, I shall super-heat you in the microwave of evil...:rolleyes:

SifuPhil, Caneman and Locutus like this.
  12. Locutus

I will enslave you in a block of ice. Then shatter you in a million and one shards with my super Hong Kong Phooey karate chop.

Caneman likes this.
  13. Enkidu

Personally, I am just gonna give a Cleveland Steamer to both of you.

14. Mr.Bond

Mr.Bond Big Ass Dog

Ok Superfriends, cool it....eat a snickers.

RJ Clark likes this.
  15. Caneman

Caneman Test all things.

And the ACTUAL!

RJ Clark and Locutus like this.
  16. Locutus

Isn't that reaching below the belt? :yuck:

17. Enkidu

18. Locutus

I had already posted that one :)