Alan Belcher MMA BJJ Class Punk'd by Alex Vamos

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu' started by Kevin, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

UFC figher Alan Belcher (who's about to fight Bisping), posted this video on Sherdog. It's quite funny.

They got a black belt in BJJ to go into a class and pretend to be a white belt with only a few months experience in Kung Fu.

Dave76 likes this.
  3. MattCMMA

MattCMMA Master

Kevin likes this.
  4. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

Great point made in the end about upper ranked guys feeling pressured by a lower rank then giving up position to say "Oh, I gave it to him..." rather than fighting harder. BJJ often has a certain skill level associated with the belt due to such emphasis on free sparring and competition. But you can have a guy new to BJJ class who is an accomplished Judoka, Samboist, wrestler, etc, who has been in a hundred submission grappling tourneys or tourneys in their own field. So to have little regard for anyone simply by looking at their belt or to think someone is unbeatable just because they've worked their way up to earning their black belt is a huge error.

Enkidu likes this.
  5. Enkidu

Enkidu Destroyer of your martial arts fantasies

I remember getting humiliated by a white belt rolling on his first day. Turns out he was a former all-American wrestler. Within a few weeks of his starting at the academy, our instructor had him teaching a regular wrestling class.

MattCMMA and RJ Clark like this.
  6. RJ Clark

That's the beauty of BJJ. Utilizing someone's elite skills to improve that aspect of their own game. You wouldn't see that as often in TMA unfortunately. I've personally had instructors that have actually said I couldn't use my hands to strike at all when sparring (to negate the boxing) or tried to start me in bad positions grappling (without having anyone else do that) not realizing I did that all the time and submission defenses, sweeps, and reversals are very much strengths of mine...
    EDIT: Oh, before someone gets all up in arms about my statement, these same instructors didn't limit themselves when sparring (if they sparred, some didn't). So the impression I got wasn't so much about expanding my use of other tools but to attempt to handicap me in sparring.

Enkidu and MattCMMA like this.
  7. Enkidu

Among the Gracies, Renzo and Royler are the two probably most well-known for learning from and incorporating other related disciplines. Not surprisingly, the instructor where the above story occurred, is a Renzo Gracie black belt, who clearly got a lot of his style from Renzo.

MattCMMA and RJ Clark like this.
  8. Enkidu

This is clearly another one of Eddie Bravo's humor vids and is all a set-up with all important players in the video being in on the joke.

MattCMMA likes this.
  9. MattCMMA

MattCMMA Master

Yeah there's a whole series of him and "Renato Laranja". Who is actually Rhasaan Orange . and Eddie will punk a class. This is just one of them. The latest if you have some time, you will laugh your ass off because Renato is drunk.

Enkidu likes this.
  10. MattCMMA

MattCMMA Master

random [​IMG]

Kevin, RJ Clark, Enkidu and 1 other person like this.
  11. Enkidu

That is freaking awesome!

12. RJ Clark

I am impatiently waiting for even the most tenuous segway into using that on someone because it is so awesome!!:LOL:

MattCMMA likes this.
  13. Enkidu

14. MattCMMA

MattCMMA Master

[​IMG]

Enkidu likes this.
  15. Locutus

Locutus Your fight is futile, my hands are pounding you!

Now that has just crossed from cute to weird :S

16. MattCMMA

MattCMMA Master

17. MattCMMA

MattCMMA Master

18. MattCMMA

MattCMMA Master

19. MattCMMA

MattCMMA Master

[​IMG]

Kevin likes this.
  20. MattCMMA