Amazing Judo Counter Throw

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Kevin, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

I came across this gif of a counter throw in Judo. Very impressive!

judo-counter-throw.gif

Pedro, Sherratt, Mr.Bond and 3 others like this.
  3. Sneaker

Sneaker Warrior Monk

I think I just watched this 7 loops, my focus was on the counter attacker's left leg hopefully it is not smashed by his weight ... I remembered (seen) this ... ok good throw ... bye before it gets stuck in my head

4. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

Just when you think youve seen it all, a flying Uchi Mata counter. :)

If I think of it next session I'll throw on an uwagi to test this out. It would seem that a real upper body pull from a committed hip throw would negate a jump to get a leg over and deep enough between to make Uchi Mata effective, let alone landing on the other leg without being torqued over. (the leg lift gives the "pop" to your hip to send uke on his way, your leg doesn't actually throw the person)

5. Sneaker

Sneaker Warrior Monk

My goal is NOT TO GET HURT, period !!!

Sherratt likes this.
  6. Sherratt

Sherratt Disciple

7. Pedro

Pedro Baek Doo San

Puta que pariu

8. Martialist

Martialist Each One, Teach One

That is a really nice counter. Uchi-Mata is one of my favorite throws. Like RJ clark said, "If he thinks of it during the next session he will throw it in the training mix".
    I will definitely try this out sometime soon, like Tonight :)

Thanks Kevin for the post...

Martialist

9. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

Drilled this in the morning session and it's as far-fetched as a "real" counter as I had thought when I first watched it. Your opponent has to initiate the hip throw from a distance that is not conducive to actual success (therefor wouldn't pan out "live" as no one is going to try to hip throw you with that separation) and must not really pull your upper body as part of the throwing technique. In the video he is good enough to even initiate at an angle off to the "defender's" side to make the leap and clearing the leg easier. Even with a very cooperative uke the shock load on my single leg was a lot (read that as dangerously high) and true uchi mata is not achieved - it turns into a leg lift rather than the hip popping uke into the air. Oh, and it's absolutely impossible no-gi as uki can't initiate from far enough away (because of the different grips involved no-gi) to even have it as a I-know-what's-coming-and-I'll-hit-the-jumping-uchi mata-counter...

NativeWarrior likes this.