An Interview With Bujinkan Weapons Owner Carmelo

Discussion in 'Articles' started by Kevin, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

Carmelo from Bujinkan Weapons has kindly agreed to answer any questions that Black Belt Forums may have regarding martial arts weapons.

Carmelo has actively studied the art of Budo Taijutsu since 1997. Through Bujinkan Weapons he sells a range of different Bujinkan weapons such as the Tenouchi, Koppo stick, Fukuro Hanbo and Bo Staff.

james-morganelli-and-carmelo-grajales.jpeg

Feel free to ask Carmelo any questions about the weapons he makes. He has a lot of experience creating weapons so I'm sure he will be able to answer any questions you have. He will be dropping by tomorrow to answer all questions that are posted by Black Belt Forums members.

A big thank you to Carmelo for taking the time to do this. :D

Kevin

Carmelo, Ryannmnzo and SifuPhil like this.
  3. Pedro

Pedro Baek Doo San

that's great! I'll come up with some quastions I have about making my own weapons :)

Carmelo likes this.
  4. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

• How did you get into the art of making martial arts weapons?
    • From start to finish, how long does it take to make a typical Bujinkan weapon?

Carmelo likes this.
  5. Traderjoe

Traderjoe Disciple

Is this live and if so what time zone and details please.

6. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

No it's not live. If you post your questions he will answer them tomorrow. If you catch him when he's online tomorrow, there's a good chance he will respond to your questions there and then :)

7. Traderjoe

Traderjoe Disciple

Sorry never did this before, just post right in this section then?

8. Pedro

Pedro Baek Doo San

I believe so.

9. Pedro

Pedro Baek Doo San

. How to choose an adequate wood to make weapons for beginners? [not necessarily a powerful weapon, just for the sake of learning the proper techniques]

Carmelo likes this.
  10. Traderjoe

Traderjoe Disciple

Please make a real set of Shuko not cheap stuff we can buy online.

Carmelo and Ryannmnzo like this.
  11. Carmelo

Carmelo Initiate

How I got started making Martial Art tools is also how I got started in Martial Arts. In 1997 I was living in South Florida, I was a finish carpenter by trade, that's what I've done most of my life. We had landed a contract to build what was believed to be one of the first Japanese Dojo of its kind. It was a Stephen K. Hayes "Quest Center". This was at a time before Mr Hayes had officially launched "To Shin DO". That was my introduction. I not only built the school, I was involved in all its furnishings and when it was all said and done, I was amongst the first to wear a Gi and train on its mats.

However, what we're doing right now didn't take a life of its own until this past January 2012. Depending on its complexity a new weapon can take anywhere from 1 to 4 hours to make, once it hits my bench. It can sometimes take twice that to get actually get the right materials selected and in my shop, and the other 3rd of my business is doing the business of staying connected to the Martial Art Community.​

Kevin likes this.
  12. Carmelo

Carmelo Initiate

Hey Pedro,

That's a great question. I can only speak to what's available to us here in the states. Let me define what I believe "adequate" should represent. For a beginner "adequate" should be something that is actually safe to use even if it's misused. In this case, Appalachian Hickory is the choice. It's impact resistance is its highest quality. That's why it's used for baseball bats. So in this case it makes it very safe for a beginner and its cost is relatively fair. White Oak is OK, as well, I just couldn't give it as high as a grade as Hickory for safety.

Pedro likes this.
  13. Carmelo

Carmelo Initiate

Hello Joe

What would make the shuko real for you?

14. Pedro

Pedro Baek Doo San

Thanks, i think i can find the physical properties of Hickory, than try to look for a similar wood here.. this isn't an easy type of wood to find in Brazil, but oak is very common here.

15. Carmelo

Carmelo Initiate

If you're just starting out, in making your own weapons and tools, than you'll find Oak very forgiving and easy to work with.

16. Traderjoe

Traderjoe Disciple

Custom made to fit, sharp, dependable, craftsmanship, some pride put into it.

Mahalo & Aloha!

Carmelo likes this.
  17. Carmelo

Carmelo Initiate

Joe, your Fukuro Hanbo just got sent out! You should of got a tracking number. What a coincidence to meet you here.

18. Traderjoe

Traderjoe Disciple

Thank you! I am very excited to see it. I am sure I will order another one for my friend.

Carmelo likes this.
  19. Carmelo

Carmelo Initiate

I've been researching the shuko for production and it's on the list, but I'll be honest with you, it's not a short list. Our custom requests take priority. So if you want to see something happen, that's what moves the ball over here. We love a challenge.

20. Traderjoe

Traderjoe Disciple

How do I get ball rolling I am serious please quote me a price for them.

Carmelo likes this.
  21. Carmelo

Carmelo Initiate

I can follow up with you on that question by email. As you say

Mahalo & Aloha!