Anyone practiced 'ONLY' kata for years??

Discussion in 'Karate' started by benne_ryan, Aug 16, 2017.

1. benne_ryan

benne_ryan Initiate

Hi,

My karate style is called wado ki kai in SF Bay Area. We primarily learn kata (weapons forms too, sai and staff). We spar from time to time, about 3% of total class time, and pad work about 8%? There is some interpretation of kata, but very very little application, and never against a resisting opponent. I'm hoping to hear from anyone who also has had this type of class, and if it's mattered for them in terms of effectiveness -- self defense, sparring in general, etc.

I'm well aware of the many arguments against training kata without true application (against resisting partner, etc), but never have I heard from someone who has had my experience (or perhaps trained even longer), and felt a bit cheated after years (I've been training for 5+ years) of study.

I will say, what keeps me coming back to this class is the amazing amount of technique of my instructors, and the emphasis and knowledge of foundation. I took judo for a year, and must say I was impressed by my ability to pick up the forms and footwork, having such a great sense of movement that I learned from my karate. So it definitely has served me well. But I'm at somewhat of a crossroads, where I will receive black belt in about 6 months, and would like to try something else, such as MMA, where I get more training in boxing, ground work, takedowns, and the combination/mixture of all three. But perhaps that's not necessary?

Thanks!!

Ryan