Application

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Ryannmnzo, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Enkidu

Enkidu Destroyer of your martial arts fantasies

One of my friends is good friends with a guy who won TUF a few years ago and while they were driving, some dude in another car had a road rage incident and got out of his car and approached my friend and the TUF champ. This was right after that year's season. Upon seeing who it was and being told, "this isn't going to end well for you" the guy thought better of it and got back in his car a lot more sheepishly than he left it and sped off.

RJ Clark and Locutus like this.
  2. SifuPhil

SifuPhil Lucky Cat Is Lucky

I love those kinds of stories - it shows how full of hot-air most aggressive types are. Too bad the guy didn't ignore the warning - I would like to have heard the result.

Enkidu likes this.
  3. Battodoka07

Battodoka07 Warrior Monk

Yes, Sokaku Takeda is one dude I would not want to tangle with if I lived when he did.

SifuPhil and RJ Clark like this.
  4. Vldz

Vldz Warrior Monk

Guarantee 11th degree blackbelt in 11days or money back guarantee.

SifuPhil likes this.
  5. Vldz

Vldz Warrior Monk

Another way to look at difference between Jutsu and Do is " what is the difference between punches from Mike Tyson and cardio boxing?"

RJ Clark and SifuPhil like this.
  6. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

Niiiiice!(y)

7. SifuPhil

Yeah, but that's not a logical construct ...better to say "what is the difference between punches from Mike Tyson and listening to a philosophy lecture".

All kidding aside, you really cannot compare the two - they are different stages of evolution, with different purposes. They share common ground but they also have their own paths to follow.

Vldz likes this.
  8. Vldz

Vldz Warrior Monk

Hahaha. I love the philosophy lecture analogy.

SifuPhil likes this.
  9. SifuPhil

That's how I see it, anyway. I was taught that a "do" was what a retired "jutsu" guy did. :D

Vldz and Locutus like this.
  10. Locutus

Locutus Your fight is futile, my hands are pounding you!

Sounds about right for me then :)

SifuPhil likes this.
  11. SifuPhil

I guess I do Taijido then ... :smug:

Vldz likes this.
  12. Vldz

Vldz Warrior Monk

Well, to be pedantic and linguistically correct, Do means way, just like Tao. Jutsu means "the art of" or "technique of".

For example, (let's choose a cheesey one), Drifting (car drifting) techniques can read Dorifto-Jutsu (Dorifto - Japanese pronunciation of drift).

Now, someone like Keiichi Tsuchiya, who is a Drift-king (Dori-kin in Japanese) might see drifting car as a way of life because well..... he has been at it for so long (retirement not actually necessary, but he has been at it pretty much his whole life). Therefore, for Dori-kin , drifting is much more than hobby, much more than technique, but instead it has become a way of life influenced by drifting. Therefore to him, drifting is Dorifto-Do.

13. SifuPhil

Well done! (y)