Are there any fans of Savate out there??

Discussion in 'Savate' started by Deborah, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Judah

Judah fights in tights

Sensei Martin thanks bro :) its only real downfall in my opinion is the lack of low line kicking and foot sweeps. :)

2. Judah

Judah fights in tights

Oh regarding savate, I've been training for just over 18 months now and I'm representing Britain at the world championships at the end if this month :D
    So yeah, I'm a fan of savate!

Red Australian likes this.
  3. Sensei Martin

Sensei Martin Warrior Monk

wow, that rocks!

Judah likes this.
  4. Gone

Gone Guest

I was thinking of leaning more towards Savate for historical reasons. The French are one of the most war-like peoples on the planet, and I am kind of biased towards cultures that are heavily involved in war. That leads me to beleive that Savate may have something the others do not. It may be easier and more practical to kickboxing, though.

5. Judah

Judah fights in tights

Red ill give you my opinion on the pros and cons of savate vs TKD/kickboxing.

Let's assume you wanna do full contact for the sake of argument.
    Savate is the only martial art I'm aware of where kicking the legs with side kicks and front thrusting kicks is allowed. The entire leg is a valid target including the knee this means you could be in for some painful evenings :D and I know a couple of guys who can't walk properly thanks to getting kicked in the knee (nothing too serious it's not like they can't walk or have major mobility probs, they still train and compete) because of this you can never stand still sparring a savateur, your legs will get peppered with shots!! The footwork is very mobile more than anything else I've ever done and the punching is exactly the same as boxing. Here's a not so well known problem with savate IMO, you can't strike with the shin (although you can attack the shin!!!) unlike TKD or kickboxing where contact with the shin won't interrupt sparring, in savate the ref will stop the fight and warn you not to use your shin even it was accidental ie: your opponent moved forward slightly so your shin hit rather than your boot.

Taekwondo (WTF cos its full contact) rarely uses the hands at all and while they ARE supposed to hold a guard up most don't bother mainly because they aren't going to be hit in the face with any punches, that's right, in TKD sparring you can't punch the head at all! Also the lack of foot/leg sweeps means it really IS all about kicking especially as a body punch hardly ever scores! I scored 1 in all my time competing under WTF rules and it only scored because my opponent was on one leg at the time and lost balance. Personally I feel that unless you have a great love for kicking this is not what you want.

Full contact kickboxing varies depending on the rules, some allow leg kicks others don't. There used to be a rule in full contact that you HAD to throw at least 8 kicks above the waist per round or get penalised, I don't think they have this rule anymore as most of the kickboxing matches I've seen recently tend to look more like 2 mediocre boxers wearing black belts and kickboxing pants. However, I do feel that kickboxers tend to kick when it's necessary rather than because the rules force them to. As Sensei Martin said, it really is the core of striking with few frills.

Don't get me wrong, I live all three systems :) TKD was my first love my first black belt first competition... It will always have a place in my heart, in fact when a non-martial artist asks "what do you do?" I always reply "taekwondo" mainly because I can't be bothered going through my entire martial history! Lmao!

Good luck picking one mate! Whichever you choose I wish you all the best with your journey!

Red Australian likes this.
  6. Judah

Judah fights in tights

Thanks! I had to work hard to get on the team :D

7. Judah

Judah fights in tights

Can't say I'd heard of him before but then I've only been studying savate 18 months or so, here's a guy I like he's a middleweight I believe.