Average UFC fighter height and reach

Discussion in 'Mixed Martial Arts' started by Eric Dufurrena, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Eric Dufurrena

Eric Dufurrena The Iron Fist of Fun

3. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

Interesting. Illustrates how some fighters can jump up and down weight classes.

Take the russian fighter Dennis Siver for example. He's very muscly but he's only 5 feet 7 inches (67 inches). According to that infographic, that makes him the same size as the average bantamweight (135lbs). If you have seen him fight before, you will know that he always fights gets bigger than him. He currently fights at featherweight (145 lb) but he originally fought at welterweight (170) before dropping down to lightweight (155 lb) in his second UFC fight.

Some fighters are going the other way. There are a few tall skinny fighters in the UFC who use their reach to their advantage in every fight.

Eric Dufurrena and MattCMMA like this.
  4. MattCMMA

MattCMMA Master

Nice read. The guy that put it together does all types of analysis on the sport @ http://fightnomics.com/blog/

Like this one on how fights end per weight class.
    [​IMG]

Powerful information for a gambler like me. His entire blog is amazing . Very interesting stuff.

DeeD and Eric Dufurrena like this.
  5. MattCMMA

MattCMMA Master

From the Bar Bets section. Good stuff.
    Size Matters (KO/TKOs):
    If someone wants to bet on a knockout, check the weight class first. The bigger the weight class, the more likely the fight will end by strikes. More than half of all heavyweight fights end by KO or TKO, whereas less than one in five lightweight fights end that way. Someone else thinks a lightweight fight will be a KO? Take their money 4 out of 5 times.

Size Matters (Submissions):
    Opposite of striking, submissions favor smaller fighters. Lightweights finish 33% of their fights by submission, while heavyweights only get a tap 17% of the time. Generally, predicting submissions is risky business, but it’s even more rare at 205 pounds or higher.

Chokes Rule:
    If you think a fight will end by submission, bet that it’s a choke. Since 2007, 76% of all UFC submissions are chokes (RNC, Guillotine, Leg Triangle, Side Choke, etc.), and this rate has only been going up. Conversely, arm bars, a popular submission of yesteryear, are going extinct.

Split Decisions:
    Roughly one fourth of fights that go to decision will be a split decision. So don’t make that bet unless you get better than 3:1. Main events, however, are much more likely to end by split decision (34%) than the rest of the main card.

Early Birds Get Finishes:
    Much fewer fights are finished in the 3rd round than in the first two. Only 16% of non-title fights going into the 3rd round will end by strikes or submission before the fight is over. Someone’s predicting a late finish in a non-title fight? Take their money. Someone thinks there will be a miracle submission in the last round? Take their money. Submission success rates go way down in the third round due to a combination of arm fatigue and sweaty slipperiness..

Anthropometric Advantages:
    The Reach and Southpaw Advantages are both real. But the Youth Advantage is even more pronounced. When you a see a guy that’s significantly younger (more than 5 years) and has longer reach (of at least 2 inches) than his opponent, your odds are good picking him to win. Much more so if they’re mainly strikers.

Betting Lines:
    Betting lines are pretty accurate; they are a great predictor of who will win any given fight. Overall, about 30% of all fights where there is a clear favorite and underdog will result in an upset. Upsets are much more likely when the odds are close, than a skewed betting line. Finishes are more likely when the odds favoring one fighter are very high – because either a mismatch is occurring, or the underdog’s best chance to win is from a finish

DeeD, Dave76 and Kevin like this.
  6. Eric Dufurrena

I love Dennis Siver...A couple of fights ago I was talking about him whilst he was fighting, and I said "he is going to throw a spinning back kick in 3 seconds" 3 seconds later, he did! Lucky guess, but everyone at the bar thought I was psychic for a while!

Dave76 and Kevin like this.
  7. Eric Dufurrena

Interesting thing about me personally, I am 70" tall, and my reach is almost 72", which puts me in right in the lightweight spot. It is fun to figure out where you fit in the pro sports department! Not sure if cutting 25 lbs every time I had to fight would be fun, though, but I think it is do-able. 2 years ago I dropped to 163, and it wasn't that hard.

MattCMMA likes this.
  8. Caneman

Caneman Test all things.

It is hard for me to get below 190... I usually sit at 194 and at 72" height with a (knuckle dragging) 76" reach... I would be stuck in light heavy... with my current routines... I hit 189 when I run a lot.
    I am sure if I did it for a living... I could cut middle.

Eric Dufurrena and MattCMMA like this.
  9. SifuPhil

SifuPhil Lucky Cat Is Lucky

I'm 2" below a Light Heavyweight (72") but right on the button for weight. :(

Back in the day though I ran between 175-185 so I guess I could have fit in on the graph.

10. Caneman

Caneman Test all things.

Cheer up! It is "National Doughnut Day".

SifuPhil likes this.
  11. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

@Matt I was really surprised about the submission techniques being used. He's right though - you hardly ever see armbars now.

MMA betting is something I've always stayed clear of because there are so many upsets. Though when you look at the stats, patterns do emerge.

MattCMMA likes this.
  12. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

Id be in the heavyweight category for reach and height but between lightweight and middleweight as a fighting weight, crazy

Eric Dufurrena likes this.