Avoiding arthritis, bad joints, and being like batman

Discussion in 'Healthy Eating & Nutrition' started by Eric M. Miller, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Eric M. Miller

Eric M. Miller Samurai

a good majority of us who do the hard and heavy arts, primarily striking arts, tend to get arthritis and joint issues. im starting to feel the beginnings of it in my wrists and hips. i dont want to end up like batman in the newest movie, limping around with a cane and no cartilage.

i got fish oil pills and have been taking them for more than a year to help with heart issues, my adhd, and also joints. what else should i do to not have old and decrepit and worn down joints when it comes to diet?

3. Sherratt

Sherratt Disciple

wile im only 20 i gess i should start doing preemptive counter measures since ive been doing striking arts for 5 years now...

4. David Manson

David Manson Disciple

I ve been in karate, boxing, and judo since 1976. I'm pushing 50 now and somedays I don't think I can even get out of bed. I've tried just about ever miracle drug, potion and ointment you can think of, even that stuff you see on late night tv and nothing has worked for me. About all i can do is moist heat packs, eat ibuprofen like candy and just learn to deal with it. If you find something that does work, I sure would like to hear about it.

5. I have been practicing and teaching Krukan Kung Fu for over 30 years, and I'm in good shape. I would like to recommend to anyone who wishes to avoid developing arthritis, bad joints, 'and' becoming like batman in his latest movie to always stretch and body build for strength. Bones, joints and tendons are naturally well protected when they are surrounded by strong muscles. Bruce Lee was very successful at making modern martial arts practitioners (especially those in the West) aware of the importance of proper and regular strength training. In fact, most of his time was spent building muscles and working out. Having strong muscles is the key to longevity, and is the best way to protect your joints and tendons while continuing to practice martial arts. If you have no muscles to take the impact of punches and strikes, no muscles to hold your joints and bones together, then your sure to fall apart! :) Live long, strong and prosper.

Joshua Johns, SifuPhil and Sherratt like this.
  6. Neal

Neal Initiate

I am 52 years old & have been doing the arts since I was 13 so I also have lots of pain. Fish oil is good but I also take Glucosamine & MSM plus as well. Seems to work for me.

shinpatan likes this.
  7. Gone

Gone Guest

Maybe practice an art that isn't as physically demanding, but can still put a person down with ease?

That might be the best long term solution.

Otherwise, fishoil, calcium, and lemon water is a good thing for that sorta stuff.

SifuPhil likes this.
  8. Judah

Judah fights in tights

Gelatine is a good one for the ole joints, krill oil can be better than regular fish oil too.

9. SifuPhil

SifuPhil Lucky Cat Is Lucky

*cough, cough* Taiji *cough, cough*

This is probably why in many of the traditional arts in the old days they came up with the scholar-warrior concept - when you got too old to rock-n-roll you'd take up painting and music. :sneaky:

10. Eric M. Miller

Eric M. Miller Samurai

haha duh! i already do hapkido. but TKD and Muay thai will be the death of my joints if i dont care for them now.

and lemon water?

11. Judah

Judah fights in tights

When I first started teaching an old instructor took me aside one evening and told me, in a conspiratorial way, "learn your patterns, when you're too old to spar you'll need them patterns to fall back on.."

SifuPhil likes this.
  12. Caneman

Caneman Test all things.

Glucosamine chondroitin MSM (need all three together), complex fish oil (Omega 3-6-9), and I take CoQ10 on top of these... and have found it does seem to give me more energy and a better recovery time... and I am hard to convince on suppliments.

SifuPhil likes this.
  13. SifuPhil

No doubt you've read about the controversy over glucosamine and chondroitin? Supposedly there were studies done that said they were nothing but placebos - but then they say that about a LOT of things ...

14. Gone

Gone Guest

Sorry, I did not know what you practice. Dropping TKD and MT in favour of more Hapkido might be the way to go. It might be easier on your joints. You don't want your arthritis being a serious Achilles heel in a real deal fight. So do what you can now before it gets really bad.

I forget the main reasons about lemon water being good for bodily functions (I like to keep my head free lololol) but it helps to remove any unwanted products in the body.

Eric M. Miller likes this.
  15. Gone

Gone Guest

Just like L-Carnitine or whatever it's called..

SifuPhil likes this.
  16. Caneman

Caneman Test all things.

Funny that you say that... I can't pinpoint the positive effects of glucosamine chondroitin MSM, specifically.
    I can tell you the empirically positive effects I have see with Omega 3-6-9: at least in Cholesterol numbers
    I can tell you the positive effects I have felt with CoQ10 (and they were fast)... longer story.

This is one of those things that is very difficult to derive into an equation with complete variable isolation.

So, to your point, glucosamine chondroitin MSM... well, maybe it works???

SifuPhil likes this.
  17. Judah

Judah fights in tights

I've found glucosamine to be good for lightening my wallet and not much else :(

Omega fish oils or krill oil however certainly make my knees & hips feel better.

18. SifuPhil

The way I see it, glucosamine, chondroitin, fish oil and so many other compounds seem to work on an oddly hit-or-miss basis for people. I wonder whether they've become popular because they are effective or because the Powers-That-Be behind them mounted an effective covert campaign that convinced people they're effective.

Much like acupuncture, in a way ...

Personally I didn't have any noticeable effects with fish oil, but with glucosamine/chondroitin it seems I felt better in the joints. It wasn't anything I could quantify or even explain to a doctor, so I'm still not sure whether it was in my head or my body, but since I believe they work together I suppose it doesn't really matter.

I just started taking some krill pills that my lady-friend gave to me - they're big enough to choke a horse but they're supposed to help brain function. I guess if gray matter starts oozing out my ears we can call it a success. :inpain:

Judah likes this.
  19. soylette

soylette Initiate

glucosamine, magnesium, and collagen supplements over here.