ball of the foot vs the shin

Discussion in 'Taekwondo' started by michael mckenna, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Void_Karateka

Void_Karateka Pauper Karateka

I used to use a milk bottle and baby oil :)

As for the thread, I've gotta go with general consensus, it just depends on the target. For most of my strikes I prefer the ball of the foot, even most roundhouse strikes I'll keep my toes back. But low roundhouses (attacking the lovely sensitive quadriceps clusters of nerves for instance) I'll be going shin and instep all the time. I'm a personal lover of low and short front kicks to the shin with my toes pulled back, especially sparring, drops most people's attention down (along with their guard) leaving em wide open.

2. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

I did laugh when I read that

I think both have there place but yes i agree completely with being able to withstand a shot is very important.I think being able to train for combos is very important too, so being up against the ropes when someone is teeing off and being able to be calm, absorb shots and then counter without being completely overwhelmed

Theres that saying "everyone has a plan until they get hit in the face"

3. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

What was the baby oil for :sneaky: haha

4. Void_Karateka

Void_Karateka Pauper Karateka

:whistle: Weeeeeeelllllll you know.....

I used to rub it all over my shin so I could rub the milk bottle up and down with no friction (I have VERY hairy legs).

DeeD likes this.
  5. Kuyaken

Kuyaken Karate for the streets not just for trophies

I was looking for a video on YouTube that I saw years ago that had an Old KarateMaster (in black and White) punching and kicking an old steam train and it was "clonking" on every strike

6. Ivor Godley

Ivor Godley grasshopper

i started reading your post RJ and thought you were going to say you could bash the missus on the head with it!

i like using someone elses forearms Mike!

michael mckenna likes this.
  7. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

its not pleasant, we use elbow strikes to the forearms :wtf:, not fun

remember watching a human weapon on karate, dude was punching a tree in japan and then punching the wall, just a solid thud for each time

8. Dave76

Dave76 Deheuol Gwyn Dragon

Well funnily enough, those Wing Chun wooden dummies that everyone gets so upset with you if you say are great for arm conditioning, are actually really quite good for arm and instep conditioning, go figure:rolleyes:

But I was actually thinking more along the lines of all the endless hours spent walking up and down dojo halls with a partner doing a 3 part, lower inner block, upper block and lower outer block sequence. Every striking art I've ever trained in has had some form or variation of this conditioning. Also with kicks to both the quads and the gut, you do the striking one way down the hall and then your partner does the striking back up the other way, etc.

9. michael mckenna

michael mckenna Grasshoppa

i think it would be cool if there was a wooden dummy more suited to tkd/karate ive thought of making one myself but its materials are hard to get where i live

10. Boo-Sabum Ben

Boo-Sabum Ben Initiate

The recent silvia fight at the UFC should answer this question ;)

11. Kuyaken

Kuyaken Karate for the streets not just for trophies

In KnockDown Karate and Muay Thai we use the Shin and that is a rare occurance

DeeD and RJ Clark like this.
  12. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

Absolutely. It rarely happens at all, but has an increased chance when someone checks a kick by "turning into/toward the kick". It also doesn't matter what someone intends to use (ball of foot or shin) in regard to a potential break.

Kuyaken, DeeD and Eric Dufurrena like this.
  13. MattCMMA

MattCMMA Master

Silva broke his leg because of his technique when throwing the kick. El Guapo [Bas Rutten] explains it perfectly in this video. Also ironically he released this video almost a year before Silva recently broke his leg.

DeeD likes this.
  14. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

Try do this with ball of your foot a conditioned shin is stronger than the fragile bones in the foot

Kuyaken, Eric Dufurrena and RJ Clark like this.
  15. Eric Dufurrena

Eric Dufurrena The Iron Fist of Fun

The question shouldn't be ball of the foot vs shin, it should be ball of the foot vs the top of the foot, I think. I don't do TKD kicks with my shin, and I don't do Muay Thai kicks with my foot, ball or top of.

Void_Karateka and Kuyaken like this.