body structure

Discussion in 'Strength Training' started by Johann, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Johann

Johann Initiate

so this is a question that has been on my mind for a while know and I am hoping that someone here can answer it for me. My friend and I started training for general health and fitness at the same time but I also picked up wing chun and kung fu for self defense. It has been a year and I've noticed vastly different results with our respective training regimes. My friend does alot of weight lifting and carido, which has given him bulging biceps, a broader chest and more developed and defined muscles overall. On the flip side I have simply become leaner but I can generate more power in a punch and lift as much weight as he can. My question is; does training martial arts cause your body to develop differently than a person who is simply lifting weights and doing basic exercises? Currently we both weigh roughly 190 pounds each but he is much bigger than I am.

3. Master of Nothing

Master of Nothing Psychotic Pacifist

Absolutley. Martial Arts, like Dance and Gymnastics work a wider range of muscles groups than muscle specific training. Many times personal trainers, bodybuilders, and other sport-specific athletes have an uneasy adjustment to the arts (or the other regiments mentioned). If you build for bulk you will get big. But, most bodybuilders aren't powerlifters (who aren't usually as defined in muscle structure-but they are way more powerful). They are designed for the specific exercises that are in their routines. That limitation in variety allows the muscles to focus on adding bulk to perform their strength based exercises. The cardio most athletes go through is pretty specific as well. Most of the time the need for the muscles to adjust to different ranges of motion isn't really needed. Martial Arts, Dance, etc., are continuously static in muscle development. Which forces the muscle groups to compensate for the different types of required performance. In turn making them leaner to facilitate the different ranges of motion that a martial arts must go through.

Sherratt and Adam Crawshaw like this.
  4. Adam Crawshaw

Adam Crawshaw The Ripper

yes and no in my experience the muscles for fighting and lifting are very different muscles for lifting are large and powerful but muscles for punching and kicking are small but explosive. Also it very much depends on your body type people with narrow shoulders and hips and a fast metabolism ( like me) will find it very difficult to build large muscles some people are designed for speed and high velocity movement and others brute strength but that is only my opinion

Master of Nothing likes this.
  5. David Manson

David Manson Disciple

It's my opion that huge muscle mass will just slow you down. You don't see many pro fighters that are built up like body builders.

Sherratt and Master of Nothing like this.
  6. Enkidu

Enkidu Destroyer of your martial arts fantasies

Why do people always seem to equate weight training with bodybuilding?

If you train properly with weights, it will improve your martial arts performance, as it will with pretty much any other athletic endeavor.

Being stronger is better than being weaker.

Strength is a critical component of power.

Power is king in athletics.

Ramthalion, Caneman, Sherratt and 2 others like this.
  7. Enkidu

60%+ of your punching power comes from the largest most powerful muscle groups in your body, those surrounding your hip girdle.

Caneman, Sherratt and Aaron like this.
  8. Aaron

Aaron Shadow Warrior

Damn right. The trick is to know how to do the weight lifting exercises; proper form, amount of weight, and number of reps is extremely important.

If you want to build for power; usually heavier weight, lower reps.
    Bulk usually medium weight; more reps.
    Endurance less weight; lots of reps.

These are just basics of weight lifting.

Cardio is also very important; running is good, swimming is even better.

9. Gone

Gone Guest

Your opinion would be wrong.

Flex Wheeler. Martial artist, and former Mr. Olympia contestant.

Has used his martial arts skills to defend his life in the past.

10. Caneman

Caneman Test all things.

I recommend you study the difference between white and red muscle fibers. Look at the training techniques for each/both. Test those techniques and how your body reacts. Figure out what your best body response is.
    I was a distance swimmer, yet when I got into my late 20's I learned about the fiber differences and found out that I responded much better to anaerobic white fiber work - fast twitch. Once I started power lifting techniques... that 260 or so I could bench through strength training (standard pyramid sets) moved up to 420 on a single rep max under a power lifting training style. I was 200 pounds body weight at the time.

Master of Nothing and Enkidu like this.
  11. Enkidu

Hmmm, on the right track, but I would change it thusly:

Strength (not power) is built using heavy weights and low reps.
    Power is built using medium to light weights and low reps, but those reps are lifted explosively
    Endurance is a broader topic because there are all forms of endurance (strength endurance, power endurance, cyclic and acyclic endurance, short, medium and long endurance, etc.)

By the way, it appears as though volume (weight x reps) and time under tension have a great deal to do with bulking up. Thus, while moderate weights at moderate reps is one way to accomplish this goal (and probably the most common) there are multiple other ways to achieve the same ends.

For martial arts, and for most sports for that matter, I find that aerobic endurance (while not unimportant) is far less important than people generally think.