Bodybuilding and martial arts

Discussion in 'Articles' started by Judah, Jan 2, 2013.

1. SifuPhil

SifuPhil Lucky Cat Is Lucky

enkidu.jpg

Enkidu, Locutus and Judah like this.
  2. Judah

Judah fights in tights

Enkidu and SifuPhil like this.
  3. Eric Dufurrena

Eric Dufurrena The Iron Fist of Fun

Only thing I can think of, is make sure you are looking forward, maybe a bit up, and not down. Also, you can place a 1" piece of wood (or something else) under your heels.

4. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

Make sure the bar is in the groove below the top of your traps but on the delts, with your grips on the bar wider than shoulder width. When the hands are too close I've seen it tend to "round" a person's back when they go down for their squat. Comfortable foot positioning for me is a little wider than shoulder width apart with my toes pointing slightly outward. Visualization of perfect form and picturing yourself doing your target number of reps beforehand will be a great help. Also get yourself psyched for the set - yelling "Let's fucking do this!" gets you in beast mode for the lift.

Enkidu, Eric Dufurrena and Judah like this.
  5. Judah

Judah fights in tights

Excellent advice right there! Too many people try putting the bar right across their shoulders, that's uncomfortable and not good for your neck, you can always tell because that's when they start using foam pads and stuff to make the bar more comfortable.

Nothing makes be feel more murderous than psyching myself up for squats. :mad:

Enkidu and RJ Clark like this.
  6. Gone

Gone Guest

Clark, I took your advice. I did it the way you said.

Yeah, lets just say it worked. Bloody hell. My legs ain't felt like this.. EVER. And I've had some ripper leg workouts.

RJ Clark likes this.
  7. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

Glad it worked well for you! I basically just typed the way I get ready and then execute squats, tweak it if you have to for your body type

8. Judah

Judah fights in tights

Stay away from leg extensions, they'll fuck your knees and they build very little in the way of functional strength or muscle mass.

Enkidu likes this.
  9. Gone

Gone Guest

Yeah, I know. Besides, I don't use machines. I do everything at home with just my bodyweight and sometimes the long bars and short bars.

10. Dave76

Dave76 Deheuol Gwyn Dragon

Tell that to Aussie footballers....

11. Locutus

Locutus Your fight is futile, my hands are pounding you!

Most people wouldn't know what Aussie rules is.

12. Enkidu

Enkidu Destroyer of your martial arts fantasies

While I think the the dangers of leg extensions to the knees has been a bit overblown, their lack of efficacy in developing function strength and mass has not been.

13. Dave76

It's one of the primary strength building techniques of anyone wanting to kick a ball in Aussie Rules.....which means everyone on the field bar umpires, they just bounce or throw.

Watch from 40 sec onwards, you'll see why.

Red Australian likes this.
  14. Locutus

MAGPIES RULE!!!

15. Dave76

Collingwood:rolleyes:
    So that's why you had to move to Turkey, living in SA and they found out your dirty little secret didn't they? :p

Go the Dons!!!
    Bombers! Bombers! Bombers! Bombers! Bombers! Bombers! Bombers! Bombers! Bombers! Bombers! Bombers! Bombers!

Locutus likes this.
  16. Locutus

Just be thankful I am not saying nekminnit and live in lizbeth :)

17. Gone

Gone Guest

COLLINGWOOD FOREVER!!!!!

I am the kinda guy who could punch a person out over a Collingwood insult. Me mates who are even more psychotic about it don't help either.

I don't know what it is, but something about watching a Collingwood game gives me some insane energy and adrenaline. Gonna go to a few live games this year, too.

Locutus likes this.
  18. Gone

Gone Guest

This is pretty much me. Looks alot like me, too. I even have a protective screen to put over the television so we don't damage it by throwing empty stubbies at it n stuff when we get frustrated.

I swear, it's gonna end up like Green Street Hooligans.

Dave76 likes this.
  19. dmach

dmach Martial Archivest

Meanwhile all non Australians are looking at this going WTF????

Dave76 and Locutus like this.
  20. Judah

Judah fights in tights

I'm actually thinking "how the fcuk can you call a game 'football' when you're allowed to use your hands to manipulate the ball??" For me FOOTball implies a game where only the FEET are used... American & Australian"football" seem to be variations of rugby... And where the fcuk did the name soccer originate????

I'd also like to know how a thread on bodybuilding and martial arts became a football appreciation thread??

dmach likes this.