Books by John Robinson

Discussion in 'Sponsor Room' started by Kevin, Dec 23, 2013.

1. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

[​IMG]

'As Jojo spied the silent and unmarked police car pull up outside his house, he knew his game was up. So rather than run, he opened the door, put his hands above his head and was led away.' Find out more about what Jojo (our protagonist) did to create this hostile situation and what he did to whilst away the time once inside. This is your book, read it and make sense of the stories herein, as you see fit!

http://www.feedaread.com/books/Jojos-Amazing-Adventure-9781781768020.aspx
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jojos-Amazi...=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1375561247&sr=1-3

[​IMG]

In pursuit of the goal of excellence, A Patient in Time: Jojutsu is divided into two parts. The first, is mostly a collection of stories and self driven narrative. Eclectic as it is deep, this section of the book also introduces the reader both into my writing style, and my (via my protagonist Jojo) way of living.It is from this that the second half of the book takes its manifest. Jojutsu is a style like none before it. Also chistened by the author is 'Fa chi dao' or weak monkey style, this is a movement of fingers and hands. Chests and necks. It is about submission over resistance and compliance over combat. But most of all it is calling to draw from a strength within, described by stories and ideas, to beat the enemy and stand triumphant! But most of all it is a journey, started many years before this book was written and finished many years after. So this is a moment. Some ideas, some discipline, nothing less nothing more. Enjoy.
    http://www.feedaread.com/books/A-Patient-in-Time-Jojutsu-9781782999720.aspx

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Patient-Tim...=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1375561247&sr=1-4

[​IMG]

A challenging book at the worst of times, and a rewarding and engaging one at the best, Fighting Madness is my third book. With a few very early stories in here, but the majority of the writing here are from just before my forth and to date final incarceration in to a mental hospital. So as the title suggests much of this book acts as a repository for my challenges and journey against my mental illness. And again one of the themes of this book is the challenge Schizophrenia has presented me with, and the fact that writing acts as a mark and vehicle for recovery. I am not suggesting that I am fully better. No-one is. Just that within my stories we can find a prism of perfection and of the truth. And a certain degree of excellence lies here. Also in continuation of my second book the martial arts theme persists within this novel. Chapters such as 'Ninjakiller', 'Pumped and fighting' and 'Shadow boxing', focus purely on the martial aspects my journey has taken me to, whereas the rest focus' more on the sufferings based, mental and fictitious achievements. Certainly the reviews of the book have been very wide and mixed to date, with comments ranging from 'Candid writing like never before... that itself is enough to keep one reading on.' To the more critical 'The whole thing reads as random streams of thought thrown together'. But altogether I am as proud of this autobiography as I am of the other books, and hopefully on reading it you will be too!
    http://www.feedaread.com/books/Fighting-Madness-9781908603579.aspx
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fighting-Ma...d=1387811734&sr=1-1&keywords=fighting+madness

Also available on:
    http://john2054.co.uk

RJ Clark likes this.
  3. Kuyaken

Kuyaken Karate for the streets not just for trophies

Anyone can wrote a book, too little too late, would rather read daisy chains are us

Master Fahy likes this.
  4. Master Fahy

Master Fahy Samurai

Telling a story is different than creating a martial art! I prefer martial arts over story telling any day! Master Fahy

5. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

Best of luck with this endeavor! (y)Hopefully writing and the continuation of training in martial arts can bring some semblance of peace, structure, and direction to a troubled mind.

6. Kuyaken

Mr Clark, With respect, how can someone with less than purple belt experience write with context and meaning behind their works. I suppose you treat the Bruce Tegner books like the crown jewels

RJ Clark likes this.
  7. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

His work as an author is about his own life and experiences. If it can help bring balance to his chaotic mind and possibly helps others like him then great. I don't think I would gain anything as a martial artist or instructor by reading them. Nor do I think that it will be the catalyst for a new "style", but that's not really the point. These are by no means (from reading the descriptions) martial arts manuals. But he is applying what little he has learned and what he perceives martial arts to be to his life. I'm also not going to be dismissive or critical of his books without reading them. How will your new style fair (or how far would any art/style have gone) if everyone said "it's basically just Ashihara karate, I can just train that somewhere else with a higher level instructor..." Hopefully new people, your current students, and other karateka give it a chance and assess it on merit rather than damning it sight unseen (or unfelt)

I apologize for any errors in this post. I'm heading out and typing this quickly on my phone

Eric Dufurrena and Kuyaken like this.
  8. Kuyaken

Lets put it another way.

I do a bit of help in a medical centre, I write a book on basic medical proceedures; would you still buy my book.

This is supposed to be a book written by EXPERIENCED martial artists for martial artists. if the video he posted is confirming his skill levels I wouldn't purchase a paperclip from him let alone a book.

Too many frauds trying to make a fast buck out of martials arts for nothing more than their own interests at hand. I presume none of the details have been "tested" in live situations either.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
  9. Eric Dufurrena

Eric Dufurrena The Iron Fist of Fun

Not to defend the recent pariah going around, but I don't think I ever read John calling himself an experienced martial artist or claiming that his books were for martial artists specifically. I think he is, like RJ was trying to get across, just giving semi-anecdotal books using martial arts as a catalyst and background that the stories can derive moral direction from. Think of them as folk tales, written anew.

Now as for a different can of worms,
    Let's see your degree for teaching martial arts, from an accredited governmental agency. I understand your example, but it is flawed in that if there was a book written for doctors, the author would most likely have several degrees from institutions that are regulated. Your example would be better if it was directed at, say, welding. 'I do a bit of help in a welding center. I write a book on basic welding procedures. Would you still buy my book?' I very well might. You can learn a good foundation for anything in a short time, but it would depend on the person and their interest and involvement. If I knew nothing of welding, that book might provide a valuable first insight. Martial arts are better compared to welding, too, because of the skill level and the difficulty of the task. Despite what you may think, martial arts are not brain surgery.

Sneaker, RJ Clark and Kuyaken like this.
  10. Caneman

Caneman Test all things.

The response given to Kevin's thread just screams a small section of an old Steve Martin song:
    "Criticize things you don't know about"...
    it was right before "have your knees removed and be oblong".
    Some of you old guys might recognize this song...

11. Caneman

Caneman Test all things.

Here it is in its full glory "Grandmother's song":

Be courteous, kind, and forgiving
    Be gentle and peaceful each day
    Be warm and human and grateful
    And have a good thing to say
    Be thoughtful and trustful and childlike
    Be witty and happy and wise
    Be honest and love all your neighbors
    Be obsequious, purple and clairvoyant

Be sure to stop at stop signs
    And drive fifty-five miles an hour
    Pick up hitchhikers foaming at the mouth
    And when you get home get a master's degree in geology

Be pompous, obese, and eat cactus
    Be dull and boring and omnipresent
    Criticize things you don't know about
    Be oblong and have your knees removed

(Ladies only) Never make love to Bigfoot
    (Men only) Hello, my name is Bigfoot
    (Everyone) Put a live chicken in your underwear
    Go into a closet and suck eggs

Sneaker, Eric Dufurrena and Dave76 like this.
  12. Caneman

Caneman Test all things.

And, if you don't get my point, and where the sarcasm is directed...
    Well it is Christmas eve... Merry Christmas to you anyway.

Sneaker, Aaron and Dave76 like this.
  13. Dave76

Dave76 Deheuol Gwyn Dragon

Crap!:(.....Thx man, way to pick a guy up on X-mas:rolleyes:

;)

Merry Christmas to you too, as it's Christmas here in Oz already :p

Wait for all the PC police to shout us down now:LOL:

Caneman likes this.
  14. Kuyaken

Borrox a good friend at work was made redundant; his last day was on Christmas eve.

And what about those who have relatives serving in Afghanistan etc. This is where I'm at, not a guy trying to sell books pretending to be a qualified martial artist.
    Many of us have put decades of hard work, taught many students to black belt and I for one don't concider myself "licenced" to write and sell a book, so why should I be happy with some stranger who's playing on the consciences of some of you, who is still yet to be able to tie his belt properly. As an ex soldier my heart is hardened as listening to some of the crap like that can get you and your section killed, he's already tried to prove he is a good story teller so why is anything else he has written true either

Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
  15. Sneaker

Sneaker Warrior Monk

o_O I don't think so ! :ROFLMAO:

16. john2054

john2054 Nearly graduate

Yeah nice one. Happy Christmas.

17. Kuyaken

John I just thought the "video" you provided in you other post, which shows my 5 year old students have more skills than you, looks nothing like the photo you got on your profile.

The word I want to use for you isn't acceptable, but many have been proven wrong and frauds in the past. I just hope no one takes your work as bonefide and ends up injuring tbemselves or others, but do you care or you just interested in $'s in the bank

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  18. Sneaker

Sneaker Warrior Monk

who are you addressing at ?

Kuyaken likes this.
  19. john2054

john2054 Nearly graduate

I am sorry about your friends who died.

20. john2054

john2054 Nearly graduate

I took my new book into Waterstones (the local highstreet book store) today, and the manager said she wouldn't stock it, because it is too intense. At least she didn't say it was too amateurish?

21. Master of Nothing

Master of Nothing Psychotic Pacifist

I wish you well john2054.
    But isn't "Jojutsu" the Japanese "Way of the Jo staff"?
    Just an observation.