Books by John Robinson

Discussion in 'Sponsor Room' started by Kevin, Dec 23, 2013.

1. john2054

john2054 Nearly graduate

Good point master of nothing. I think it also means the way of Jo, which after all is my style. Okay?

Master of Nothing likes this.
  2. Eric Dufurrena

Eric Dufurrena The Iron Fist of Fun

Don't you think it would be confusing to have 2 'styles' named the same? If you promised to teach JoJitsu, people would show up with there short staves. Seems like a rational thought, eh?

3. Battodoka07

Battodoka07 Warrior Monk

True, in this case Jō kanji 杖 is for the staff. However Jo could have multiple meanings depending on the kanji: http://www.jp41.com/kanji/jo.html. One reason why learning Japanese is so difficult. Budō is a term we are familiar with and means martial way however budo can mean grape in Japanese. So when you speak to non marital arts practicing Nihonjin (Japanese person) and say Budō, you might have to refer to the Kanji. Fun stuff!

4. Eric Dufurrena

Eric Dufurrena The Iron Fist of Fun

Totally true, but, again, if you put it to Jitsu, there is a meaning already attached to it. Attaching the non Japanese word 'jo' to the Japanese word 'Jitsu" and using that word to English speaking people will recognize it as the way of the short staff, not the way of a person named Jo.

5. Battodoka07

Battodoka07 Warrior Monk

And that's how it's implied. In this case though there is no Kanji for the English name Jo and would be written in Katakana instead. Perhaps JosanJitsu would be more appropriate. Of course bringing this style up in Japan would seem a bit presumptuous.

6. john2054

john2054 Nearly graduate

It's like the name Alex can be a boys name (Alexander) or a girl's (Alexandria). I suggest you read up some more on the philosophy of language, Sasurre is a good place to start.

7. john2054

john2054 Nearly graduate

Jo means a staff, it is also a name. In the name of my style, it relates to the name. Specifically the central protagonist of my books. If i think of a better title for my style, i'm not ruling out a change of name. What's in a name anyway? Bruce Lee used several names for what came to be known as Jeet Kun Do, after his death.