Boxer Vs Wing Chun.

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Mr.Bond, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Mr.Bond

Mr.Bond Big Ass Dog

3. Caneman

Caneman Test all things.

"If you spend 3-5 years and you are not really getting hit, you might want to re-think your strategy." LMAO
    Everything has its place... that was funny.

Mr.Bond likes this.
  4. Dutch

Dutch Initiate

That was great you are so right,and funny.

5. The Little Lion

The Little Lion Hard Wing Chun - The Music Of Bones

Watch out theres a WC guy about :mad:

The guy he was referencing with the elbows calls himself Sifu Wong he posts allot of his wc on youtube he's a bit of a joke to me and my training partners too. The thing here is in Wing Chun we train lots of different counters that can be used in reaction to certain types of MA or just the untrained fighters down the pub who throw the "i have never trained in my life punch" and we do have responses to different combos or instances - but the idea is to fight in a way that we can change ideas quickly when needed. So we have boxing, muay thai, wrestling, karate, tkd, judo - esque feeds that we train to respond to and try to gain an attacking advantage. That doesn't mean we know how to beat another martial artist or know their martial art like the back of our hands it just means we train a response to many different attacks (ideas) we may or may not be presented with, we train responses to WC ideas too.

He's right though theres allot of pseudo scientific/spiritual WC out there these days and this an avid practicioner saying there is allot of crap WC out there especially on the internet ,personally i don't like Ip Mans WC it's to soft and doesn't train under the pressure of a real attack. The real weakness of WC is we have allot of defensive techniques and train to counter allot so sometimes training just attacking is neglected and many guys end up just waiting for a cue to fight from the opponent then they get owned. Also theres sometimes the assumption of an arm being extended after a punch or block that does my head in because your average WC guy doesn't really realise how quick he has to be, how rare the opportunity is and how hard it is to apply some trapping/manipulating techniques because allot of fighters won't leave an arm out like our training partners - sorry pet peeve of mine.

Well that turned into a self hating wc rant quickly :banghead: i love it but what people don't realise about Wing Chun is that theres allot of it to study you genuinely have to attend classes twice a week for a year and then you should have a good overview of the system and some of it can be really hard to get down and it takes longer to get to grips with than other MA (does not mean it's better) and some of the gaps you need to fill in yourself it requires initiative.

Just as a note to this post i'm just giving my WC perspective i really do respect boxers and in no way dispute the fact that you need more than a smart ass technique or two to try and go toe to toe with one.

Dave76, DeeD and Mr.Bond like this.
  6. Mr.Bond

Mr.Bond Big Ass Dog

Little Lion-Great reply...

Notice that I did not name the thread "Boxing" vs...but Boxer vs. because it is the opinion of ONE man.

That being said, I have more experience with boxers than with WC yet I respect both. I do have to say, and have stated this prior, boxers train to fight. Great stamina, distance, footwork and most important yet not understood in my opinion, the importance of taking a shot to the nose...several times! Some have asked about boxing as a self defense art, and from my experience, it works!

7. The Little Lion

I know it's just one guys opinions some were relevant and it just started a train of thought thats all, i'm really quite subjective whenever i see these Vs topics on the internet - the angry face was for humour. Honestly i like boxing and don't have a bad thing to say about it.

Mr.Bond likes this.
  8. Gone

Gone Guest

Zen Do Kai attracts a lot of former boxers. Unpredictable bunch, they are.
    We ain't never done any bag-work or wooden dummy work or what-have-you.
    All our drills and training, everything, is with a partner. Can't beat constant sparring with live partners.

All of it is different, too. In Zen Do Kai, they don't just teach you how to defend against the untrained or from other Zen-dokas or whatever the proper word or term is. In Zen Do Kai, we get lots of practice from people of all different backgrounds, skills, physicalities, styles, and walks of life. It's never the same. Can't relax and fall into one technique all of the time. Got to be as dynamic as all different peoples are.

9. dmach

dmach Martial Archivest

I liked his point that people assume that boxers are head hunters. It kind of fits in with his comment that the WC guys he was talking about do not use trained boxers for their demos - I've always seen that the untrained (or minimally trained) person will always go for the head in a scrap.

Dave76 likes this.
  10. Dave76

Dave76 Deheuol Gwyn Dragon

The only thing I would disagree with is the 3 years not ever getting hit part, :wtf: ???

I got hit in the face, guts, kicked in the legs and guts every class. Maybe he was meaning the McDojo type places I guess. In fairness he was pretty clear that he wasn't meaning this for any and all Wing Chun practitioners.
    As dmach already said, it is a good point that people do tend to assume a boxer will always go for the big ko.

But the 'whattaaaa!' sound effects as he was pretending to wing chun :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.....classic.

11. The Little Lion

well in my WC class last night i got put into a full nelson twice, elbowed in the head, took a palm strike to the face, punched in the chest and almost got my neck snapped by a girl ... no jokes

arron butler and Caneman like this.
  12. Dave76

What the hell are you doing there? Full nelsons in a Wing Chun class?:D

Mind you, when I was doing Wing Chun back in the early 90's, along came the UFC and BJJ......even our Sifu was guilty of ripping out an armbar every now and then.:LOL:

Caneman and The Little Lion like this.
  13. The Little Lion

We do seminars called Wing Chun takedowns it's where some one tries to take you down with different techniques and you use WC or whatever you can do to escape, so this stuff pops up in class here and there.

Dave76 likes this.
  14. Mr.Bond

Mr.Bond Big Ass Dog

dmach and Caneman like this.
  15. Caneman

Caneman Test all things.

A full Nelson?!? LMAO ...followed by a wet willy?!?

Dave76 likes this.
  16. Dave76

My older sister still catches me with those:rolleyes:

17. The Little Lion

ooh .. my bad, not full nelson - choke hold .. i don't do submission as you can all clearly tell

18. Mr.Bond

Mr.Bond Big Ass Dog

Wedgie???? from Pedro's homeland....

arron butler likes this.
  19. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

I love the freestyle stuff, Im a huge fan of just saying "cool lets go, do your thing" to any of the guys we end up having in class, especially when they are high level in something else, tests you immensely when you not sure what going to happen

The Little Lion likes this.
  20. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

haha what:eek: , um can someone tell me whats supposed to be going on in this video haha

21. Mr.Bond

Mr.Bond Big Ass Dog

Sometimes is better not to know...but if she needs any help....