Bubishi’s 48 Illustrations: Translation

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by David Nisan, Jan 29, 2017.

1. David Nisan

David Nisan Grasshoppa

Hi Pehokun

I am happy you liked the translation. You seem to be feeling better too. That's very good!

"Cooling penis": in this illustration the penis is called "yang [organ]". Yang stands for sun, heat and so on. By covering the penis (and testicles!) , in a prelude to plucking them out, the right-hand guy is "shading" (thus, cooling) the sun(=penis).

What do you think?

2. pehokun

pehokun Grasshoppa

Hello David,

Yes I am finally over anymore surgeries and now only have to have CT-Scans every 6 months so things are looking much better!

You explanation above is excellent! You have given me a new way of approaching the "poem of the fist!"

Thank you greatly. I am looking forward to more of your translations and also the Six Ji Hands!

Have you considered doing an English translation of the General Tian Wubeizhi? I'd love to read it as would many, many others all over the World!

3. David Nisan

David Nisan Grasshoppa

Hi Pehokun

It's good to know that those difficult times are behind you. I am sure it wasn't easy. I am happy for you!

You are very kind! I appreciate your kind words and admire your enthusiasm.

There are many, many Chinese martial texts I would like to translate. But it's just a hobby, which means that I have to do these translations in my spare time, and you know how much spare time we have these days!

But, yeah, I would like to translate the General Tian Wubeizhi. And I hope I will (one day).

I'll do my best with the Six Ji Hands, too.

Best

David

4. pehokun

pehokun Grasshoppa

Hi David,

Thank you. Nothing in life worth doing is ever easy! I am lucky. There are many not so fortunate and facing far worse personal battles than I have.

You are very busy which is why I really do appreciate you taking the time to offer your translations and thoughts here! It is for me, a wonderful learning experience!

I look forward to the rest of your translations and am very happy that you are also including the Six Ji Hands as part of this!

Thank you yet again!

5. David Nisan

David Nisan Grasshoppa

Hi Pehokun

I agree!

I must say once more that I admire your enthusiasm. I add a translation of a quite vicious Six Ji Hand. Tell me what you make of it.

Best!

David

Illustration no. 18

(Right):Tiger-pounding-[towards the]-ground hand-[method], wins.

(Left): Lion-playing-with-a-ball hand-[method], loses.

Six Ji Hands No. 3: Melon Seed Hand瓜子手

This hand [method] is called Melon Seed Hand. This hand-method is used to hit the cheeks-jaws with a golden-ring on. If you get hit [by melon seed hand] hurry and use herbal remedies to treat it. For if you don’t, you’ll spit blood for three months and then die.

Note: I do not know what golden-ring (jinquan金圈) is. Judging from the context though, I believe it was some sort of fistknuckle.

6. pehokun

pehokun Grasshoppa

David, My enthusiasm for this subject has no boundaries and your translations are helping me to see the Wubeizhi in a whole new light!

The thing that really stands out for me is the truly, truly VAST difference in your translations when compared with those of others in the Western world. You translations breathe new life into the pages of this "High Hands" Manual! I cannot thank you enough!

The Ji Hands you mentioned is interestin especially in relation to the "Golden-Ring" ... I Have to concur with you that it somehow has something to do with the hand configuration /primary striking tool! Much to ponder and research!

David to date, I think you have translated the Iron Bone Hand and the Melon Seed Hand but I keep getting the feeling that the "Iron Sand Palm" and the supposed "Blood Pool Hand" have a great significance. What are your thoughts on this???

7. David Nisan

David Nisan Grasshoppa

Hi Pehokun!

I apologize again for my belated reply.

And once more--thank you for your kind words!

I cannot tell whether these two methods are more important than the others. Maybe they are. It is a good question. What makes you feel that they are especially important?

David

8. pehokun

pehokun Grasshoppa

Hello David,

The two hands? .... Well the configuration depicted in the illustrations:

1/. The "Iron Sand Palm" appears to have the palm pronounced. The fingers are depicted as being “pulled” or “held” backwards …extended if you will, allowing the upper and lower palm areas to be extended forward into the strike. This teaches the initiated White Crane Gongfu practitioner that the Palm is “exploded” forward via the stretching or splaying of the fingers.
    [​IMG]

Short, sharp, natural kinetic energy transfer ~ the Hallmark of White Crane Wuyi!

[​IMG]

The palm “Explodes” onto the point and a slight “Twist” or tweaking action should also be used to transfer the kinetic energy into the area being struck. The Iron Sand Palm uses an exploding kinetic energy transference to cause the desired effect. A strike hit to that of the heart area (Heart Piercing Palm) will cause an expansion resulting in great strain on that organ and valves therein, followed by a quick contraction releasing that strain. But then just like throwing a stone in the middle of a bucket filled with water or better still, striking the outer edge of that bucket so that concentric circles of energy wave-form inwards causing a series of expansions and contractions depending on density of the area as well as the energy of the strike.
    [​IMG]

2/. The "Blood Pool Hand" Most feel the technique, as its name implies is to strike at those areas known as “Blood Gates” or vascular areas of the human body. Such areas are where both Nerves and Blood Gates converge. This has a two-fold effect upon both the nerve and the vascular region resulting in often deadly results.

Working off the information arising from Traditional Chinese Culture (TCC) and relating that to Traditional Chinese Martial Sciences and Culture we arrive at a different viewpoint of the functions of this Hand Weapon.

Firstly it is not only a Metal aspect of the Five Moving Forces or Energy (Elements) it also embodies the Water aspect meaning that it is used to flow through the intended target and also embodies a “wave-like” energy expression.
    [​IMG]

It is associated with the Liver, Gallbladder and Spleen … indicating that these are some of the “area’s” that it can be used to effect. It can be used in regard to the Qi (energy) in the area of creating a deficiency. It has a connection to the use of the eyes in the form of the “Evil Eyes” i.e. the use of the Yi or intention into the given strike to cause injury.
    [​IMG]

Sometime translated as the "Olive Branch Hand", this is a hand weapon well suited to deeper penetration into the body targets or Dian Xue cavities using the forward rotational almost “biting” action of the first two knuckles into the chosen target areas. The knuckles can also be used in a straight in penetrative action.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Your thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated!

9. David Nisan

David Nisan Grasshoppa

Hi Pehokun

The amount of thought and effort you put in your analyses are quite impressive! It is creative, too!

The text of the Bubishi says very little about the Six Ji Palms. So you were right to consider this information as simply a small part of a bigger body of knowledge--Traditional Chinese Culture.

In order to reach positive conclusions, you'll have to conduct a wide textual analyses, and maybe consult a few White Crane masters. You might be right in your conclusions, but based on the Bubishi text alone I cannot tell whether this is indeed the case. But, I think that going for a wide textual analyses/consulting White Crane masters is a highly valued project, one which will yield very interesting results. If you decide to take it on, please let me know.

I like your creativity!

David

10. David Nisan

David Nisan Grasshoppa

Hi Pehokun

How are you? how is your research going?

Illustration no.19

(Right): A short distance strike, penetrating-the-heart hand [method], changes and wins.

(Left): A-child-embracing-a-lotus hand [method] loses.

Illustration no. 20

(Right):Fetching-two-tigers hand [method] hard.

(Left):Seizing-the-blue-ox hand [method], changes into shin-bone-scissors-step, wins.

Note 1: “hard” is probably a mistake.

Note 2: in these illustrations the tactics are a little more complex. There is a kind of feint, then change, then final attack.

11. pehokun

pehokun Grasshoppa

Hello David,

Please forgive me for my very late reply. My wife and I have been busy renovating our home and the wushu guan!

Thank you again for your continued sharing of the wonders of this masterful text. Really looking forward to more on the Six Ji Hands and Fighting Techniques!

"Penetrate Heart Hand" is an obvious reference to a parasympathetic style of attack?

12. David Nisan

David Nisan Grasshoppa

Hi Pehokun

It's my turn to apologize for this late reply. Strangely I wasn't notified of your reply, luckily I checked.

Good to know you are fine, I was a little worried. I promise to translate more of the Six Ji Hands.

It's an interesting question. I really don't know.

https://youtu.be/ihwDbxguct8

This is Liu Kangyi's new project. what do you think?

Talk soon

David

13. pehokun

pehokun Grasshoppa

Hi David,

Strange, I too haven't been notified of your reply?

Looking forward to more translations my friend!

Liu Kangyi's next project looks fascination. What can you tell me about it?