Calf Strain? Really?

Discussion in 'Health, Fitness & Nutrition' started by Eric Dufurrena, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Eric Dufurrena

Eric Dufurrena The Iron Fist of Fun

So, I was training Monday night, we were doing a lot of kicks with jumps, and my calf felt a bit sore. So I went home and R.I.C.E'd it, by noon Tuesday it felt fine, thought I was in the clear. So then I go to class Tuesday night, and we are doing jumping kicks again, and it goes POP. Yay. My black belt test for this style starts on Saturday, and I will be out at least 2 weeks because of this thing.

This is going to be rough as we have around 70 days to checklist for 100 items, so I will only have about 60, if my calf is nice to me and heals quickly. I am stressing out like crazy. If it takes longer than 2 weeks to heal, I will miss a couple of events.

Anyways, just venting. I missed my chance last time to take the test because I ended up going into the hospital for nearly 3 months and almost died, and I have been training in this style for quite a while, so it is frustrating for me. If anyone has anything to add that might help my recovery, please let me know.

3. Enkidu

Enkidu Destroyer of your martial arts fantasies

Anti-inflammatory medication and supplements. That means ibuprofen, fish oils, regular icing (as much as you can), etc. After 3 days of icing the fuck out of it, start alternating with heat and add in gentle massage and very very light stretching.

One of the ways to not lose anything, at least for a short period of time when you cannot train, is to use visualization techniques. Visualize in as much detail as you possibly can, feeling it in the muscles that you would use were you training, and visualize doing it perfectly.

4. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

Take your time with this injury. You can make it a lot worse by training through it. Sounds like that might not be an option if you have a black belt test. Horrible timing.

I popped my calf muscle when I trained in Thailand. I couldn't walk for weeks. I then felt fine and went out for a 3 mile run. Felt amazing at the start but it started getting sore at the end. When I got back to my room, the whole calf spasmed. It was agony. I was lying on the bed holding my leg for about 30 minutes. Sheer agony. It was several months until I got back to training...and I was never 100%. During sparring, we would do two minute rounds and then switch around. I was fine at first but after 5 or 6 partners the pain started coming back. It got to the point where I couldn't even run or bounce on my feet. I would literally just stand there holding my hands up whilst getting beat up. Even white belts were getting the better of me. I looked like Rocky in round 15.

I realise you need to do what you need to do for your test. Afterwards, I recommend reducing your training for a bit and making sure you always do a good warmup and stretch before training. It was a new injury to me, so I was unaware of the warning signs. So when you start to feel it getting sore, stop and stretch. There's no point going through the pain barrier.

Good luck
    Kevin

Eric Dufurrena and RJ Clark like this.
  5. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

Oh man, those damn pre-test training injuries! There's already great advice so I'll just chime in for encouragement and support. Be smart about this injury, you've been around long enough to know short-term it seems like the end of the world but long term it means nothing. You'll progress regardless, but you may just have to wait for promotion. Good luck with it, mister!

Eric Dufurrena and Enkidu like this.
  6. Eric Dufurrena

Eric Dufurrena The Iron Fist of Fun

Thanks guys. I hope I didn't injure it too much, as my test is 6 months long... Feels a lot better today, getting tons of supplements and such to help. I appreciate the support and helpful advice!

Enkidu likes this.