cardio/stamina

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by shyquille graves, Apr 21, 2014.

1. shyquille graves

shyquille graves Warrior Monk

in what way can you increase your cardio and stamina at a steady pace

3. Dave76

Dave76 Deheuol Gwyn Dragon

I've found that to be quite an individual thing. So speaking solely for myself, the method of 20 min of high intensity intermittent training to work the best. As the cooler weather sets in now, I've switched to, for example, 20 min of - Sprint 100mt and do 20 burpees for time. Rest however long that took and then sprint 100mt and do 10 squat thrusters. Repeat in sequence for 20 min.....etc.
    Don't have to include level change work like burpees or thrusters, I just find with grappling it really does help, but the norm would be to do just the sprints.
    This is just my preference, as I genuinely loathe long distance running.
    I played tennis, cricket and did Karate as a kid, so sprints and shuttle runs are my thing as an adult.
    In summer months I translate this to swimming as much as possible and as I surf as much as possible, catching waves is all about the paddle sprint for the drop in.....so, is all good.
    To summarize,
    Start with your strengths to give you confidence, then branch out to pushing into new and undoubtedly painful thresholds of fitness.

Remember to get extra rest, sleep in particular when cranking up your exercise routine.
    Perhaps look at a supplement like 'ZMA' -zinc, magnesium and b12 for your recovery supplement, depending on your dietary needs of course.
    And don't forget to allow extra time to roll out with a foam massage roller and or extra stretching. ..
    You'll need it.

shyquille graves, Sneaker and Caneman like this.
  4. Caneman

Caneman Test all things.

I agree with Dave on this, completely. Everyone is different.
    I loath running, even with my military background... But, I do it, and it has very positive effects on my cardio. But 2-3 miles is all I ever do, 3x per week. For some, that wouldn't scratch the surface.
    On the flip side, activities like burpees, well I have to typically do a lot more than the average person training... I just have good stamina in that area for some reason.
    Generally, I would try finding the area you find you have the least stamina in, and train it in ever increasing intervals.

shyquille graves and Sneaker like this.
  5. Judah

Judah fights in tights

Caneman & Dave are both bang on. Playing to your strengths is always a good start as it maintains motivation but you need to do the stuff that makes you feel weak and shitty too. I too absolutely hate running and so I never run more than 1 mile. The second half of which I sprint between lamp posts. The rest of the time I simply hit a punch bag for 3-5 x 2 minute rounds with 30-45 seconds rest between rounds. I feel this simulates a 3 or 5 round kickboxing match.

IMO the training you do ought to resemble your ultimate goal. If you're training for a marathon then running long distances is probably best, if training for a TKD competition then lots of kicking in short bursts is going to be best.

6. Eric Dufurrena

Eric Dufurrena The Iron Fist of Fun

Check out Tabata, basically 20 seconds on 10 seconds off. Helped a lot of people I know with decreasing their 1 mile and 3 mile time.

From wikipedia:

Tabata regimen[edit]
    A version of HIIT was based on a 1996 study[7][8] by Professor Izumi Tabata (田畑 泉) et al. initially involving Olympic speedskaters,[9] uses 20 seconds of ultra-intense exercise (at an intensity of about 170% ofVO2max) followed by 10 seconds of rest, repeated continuously for 4 minutes (8 cycles). The exercise was performed on a mechanically braked cycle ergometer. Tabata called this the IE1 protocol.[10] In the original study, athletes using this method trained 4 times per week, plus another day of steady-state training, and obtained gains similar to a group of athletes who did steady state training (70% VO2max) 5 times per week. The steady state group had a higher VO2max at the end (from 52 to 57 mL/(kg•min), but the Tabata group had started lower and gained more overall (from 48 to 55 mL/(kg•min). Also, only the Tabata group had gained anaerobic capacity benefits.

Caneman likes this.
  7. Eric Dufurrena

Eric Dufurrena The Iron Fist of Fun

I should add, also, to try to have someone else time you, you want to stop and start as precise as possible. When resting, try to totally relax and breathe. The fact that it only takes 4 minutes to do almost makes this a no-brainer, you can add it to any current program you are doing.

Judah likes this.
  8. monk64

monk64 Initiate

The best results I've ever had increasing my cardio is through interval training. For example, walking for a couple minutes, running for a minute, lather rinse repeat. Eventually you work up to light jog interval with run interval, then run with sprint intervals.

It may not be as scientific but the first time I ever ran a mile (I was well over 40 :) was after a couple weeks of interval training.

9. Void_Karateka

Void_Karateka Pauper Karateka

Bag work is always a good one. If you're aiming to increase your cardio ability in whatever martial area then practicing basic techniques on a bag for 40 minutes or so a day can help (that's 40 minutes excluding a decent warmup and stretch and cool down after).