Commando krav mega??? How exactly is this "commando"?

Discussion in 'Krav Maga' started by Aaron, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Aaron

Aaron Shadow Warrior

Was a at a local demo for CKM, looks ok, some things look like they would work, but I just don't see how this is supposed to be "commando"? It seems very watered down for civilians, just my opinion coming from a ninjitsu background.

3. Aaron

Aaron Shadow Warrior

I am not trying to be disrespectful, just want to know what they refer to as "commando" in CKM I just don't see it.

4. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

A serious answer would be it's just another advertising strategy to attract the masses. I will now step back before the tsunami of not-so-serious answers hits:D

5. Gone

Gone Guest

Same reason why everyone has an erection over Systema.

6. Aaron

Aaron Shadow Warrior

I thought systema was actually used by Russian spetznas and Russian paratroopers, were as ckm isn't used by Izreal's military but Krav maga is.

7. Aaron

Aaron Shadow Warrior

That's what I was thinking, pure marketing.

8. Mr.Bond

Mr.Bond Big Ass Dog

I went commando to a KM class, does that count?

9. Gone

Gone Guest

In Russia, I think they all do (combat) Sambo.

Some people have arrested thinking, especially when it comes to Systema. They seem to think that Systema is the only answer and anything less is life-threateningly inferior and they are being cheated on, and then they will refuse to train in other martial arts. I had a similar outlook, too, and know quite a few like that as well. But, I've seen the videos for both of them and a number of other styles, and while impressive with their theory, attitudes, intensity of their training camps, and so on, I don't see how the Israeli's or Russians are bringing anything new to the table with this supposedly "special forces/commando" stuff that other Martial Arts do not have or do not cater to in some way.

Art vs. Artist, too. One aspiring martial artist who has been researching where to start, who thinks they would be great in Krav Maga finds out that this is not the case, and tries their luck instead at the local Kung Fu school and realize they are much better there. I never wanted to do Zen Do Kai, originally..

Vidadi and SifuPhil like this.
  10. SifuPhil

SifuPhil Lucky Cat Is Lucky

Sounds like every martial artist I've ever met, to one degree or another.

That's why the same debates are going on and on and on ...

Dave76, RJ Clark and Aaron like this.
  11. Caneman

Caneman Test all things.

Disturbing "word picture".

12. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

Well, if everyone just trained like me they'd be fine... ;)
    Whether someone has no training, specialized/focused training, or truly diverse training we all want to believe we can handle ANY situation by applying what we have. Like the old saying: If all you have is a hammer every problem looks like a nail. It's sometimes a hard pill to swallow admitting there will be some things that are beyond the training we already have, that we may need to be more diverse in our training, and that there will be situations that no matter how much/how diverse/how well trained we are that we can't "win"/succeed/survive.

BAKOM, Dave76, SifuPhil and 1 other person like this.
  13. Dave76

Dave76 Deheuol Gwyn Dragon

Facing and admitting defeat just isn't in some peoples nature and they will have that much harder a life journey because of it. I used to try and help people like that, now as I've gotten a little older and realised just how short a life we have, I won't spend time on others that should be spent on my own progression or that of my kids, so I just laugh to myself and think "What a dumbass" and wait for the inevitable fall. Sadly only a very few learn from it and pick themselves up and go on to become better martial artists, most just make excuses and walk away blaming everyone and everything else bar themselves:rolleyes:

As to the OP, Mr.Bond beat me to the punch:(

Maybe your required to attend any and all training sessions 'commando' style:eek:...

BAKOM, SifuPhil and RJ Clark like this.
  14. liam

liam Disciple

I guess I am hashing up an old thread on this seeing how the last post was 5 months ago, but I needed something to release my mind. It was either this or look for that damn sock.

Commando Krav Maga is Moni Aizik's system. This is the basics of what why and how. He began training in judo in Europe, can't remember exactly where, I think Holland, but he was a judo champion. He father was some sort of diplomat. He also trained in Japanese ju jutsu. He states he was Israeli special forces and claims (some argue against this claim but I am neither here nor there) that he was called upon to help Imi Lichtenfeld to modernize Krav Maga after the Yum Kipper war. His claim is that he worked with him for a year to update the system. After he was released from the military he opened a school in Israel, then a different one and finally he moved to Canada and opened a school. It was called something like Israeli combat survival or something like that. After the Krav Maga craze hit he changed the name to Commando Krav Maga. His style is very heavy on judo and ju jutsu. Whether it is truely Krav Maga, I don't know. I do know that Carlos Newton, when he was the UFC champ trained under Moni and he has trained several fighters and a few champions. He is a good teacher and trainer from what I am told.

15. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

The thing with all these hybrid systems is they will evolve over time because thats its fundamental principle , discarding what doesn't work and keeping what does, So like everything the proof is in the exchange can a dude training in xyz stop someone who attacks him whether in real life or simulated full contact situation. IF the answer is no then sorry system is not "effective"

Thats the easy thing with "martial" arts very easy to see if someone is legit,

BAKOM and liam like this.
  16. Kuyaken

Kuyaken Karate for the streets not just for trophies

Its a marketing stratergy to get people through the door!

Same as you got Kem(N)po Karate and Ken(M)po Jujitsu both exactly the same from the same instructors but because of the Jujitsu hype at the moment it means more people through the door.

I think aswell Combat Taekwondo is another common name too

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
    Aaron and liam like this.
  17. jwerner

jwerner Initiate

some intresting topics here guys about systema,, i recently heard some of my friends enrolled in russian systema classes , i plan to join them soon , any advice or comment or even tips for me to prepare in this classes? it looks hard but at the same time challenging, it might be fun though,,

18. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

That's great , good luck. From an advice point I would say make sure you train as realistically as possible. If someone grabs your arm;throat etc ask them to use more force so that you will quickly see if the technique you are being taught is being applied correctly. helps to condition you mentally as well.