Could You Make Your Own Weapons?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by SifuPhil, Jun 27, 2012.

1. SifuPhil

SifuPhil Lucky Cat Is Lucky

[​IMG]

Let's play "What If" ...

What if, for whatever reason, your country experienced a SHTF scenario. It might be war, it might be political or social upheaval, heck, it might even be a zombie invasion.

If you had to get out in such a hurry that you couldn't take your weapons with you, would you have the skills to make your own? Now I'm not talking about setting up a forge and smelting metal and pouring your own handgun (although that would be totally cool!) - what I mean is could you craft, out of whatever materials that you have at hand, a usable, sturdy weapon?

It might just be a pointed stick. You could move up a notch and go for a bo. Or maybe a bow. Spears? Nunchaku? Let's suppose you don't have any tools either - what could you make with your bare hands with materials that might be laying around?

Of course, you could get real creative and say that you just happened to stumble across an abandoned gun shop or sporting goods store, but for the purposes of this exercise I'd consider that cheating. :D But it IS possible that you live in a city, so scavenging might be an option to consider ...

Deborah, Blade Maker and RJ Clark like this.
  3. MadoreGojuRyu

MadoreGojuRyu Master

I have fortunately trained a lot in the Jo and Bo so those would be quick go to's until something better came along. I know its not much but I tried to train in weapons that I thought I could get my hands on ASAP in any given situation. I train with the tonfa, sword, kama and sai also.....but those aren't exactly go to weapons unless I can raid my own weapons

Deborah, Blade Maker and Caneman like this.
  4. Semper Gumby

Semper Gumby Disciple

I would think finding an item similar to a bo staff or kali sticks would be the most simplistic. A tree branch could be used as a club, shoe laces could possibly hold a rock (preferably a broken one that has some sort of an edge) to create a knife or crude axe. you can rub a piece of wood or a stick on concrete to sharpen the edges. An old school sling with a pocket of rocks wouldn't be to difficult either.
    Fun question to ponder.

5. Aaron Hutto

Aaron Hutto Master

This is why I train in sticks. Long and short (mostly short). I can find one in just about any room in any house. In a pinch, I would probably go for a spear though. I like that reach and it would be easy to make. I am actually starting to collect tools. I want to get into black smithing but it is expensive to dabble in.

Deborah, SifuPhil and Caneman like this.
  6. Caneman

Caneman Test all things.

I concur with MadoreGojuRyu's view. It is why I chose cane, as it is completely translate-able to sword, stick, short staff... and very recently have started training Dan Bong (12" stick). And, BTW... though the economic structure of the world has disolved in this scenario, until then, I can take my cane right through airport security. So, after the collapse, I will hold out until I find that Barrett Light model 50 lying around... LOL. :cool: And, Aaron's take...

Deborah and SifuPhil like this.
  7. Sensei Martin

Sensei Martin Warrior Monk

Well, as long as you have every episode of MacGyver .. better yet a ``MacGyver Survival Guide``, you could build a weapon or maybe even a bomb starting with just a paper clip.

Deborah, SifuPhil and MadoreGojuRyu like this.
  8. Eric M. Miller

Eric M. Miller Samurai

coffee mug and a pen. all that i need.

Pedro and Deborah like this.
  9. Caneman

Caneman Test all things.

Riddick! It was a tin can key, not a pen.

Ivor Godley likes this.
  10. dmach

dmach Martial Archivest

Well everyone has said kali sticks or bo staff. Buts lets play with the "Scavenging in the big city" scenario.

Most martial arts weapons were originally farm tools, so If I could find a pitch fork, maybe use a sturdy rock or hammer to straighten the tynes... I go me a trident!

Small links of chain + decent size sticks or lengths of pipe will give you either nunchaku or 3-section staff.

A military style entrenching tool (fancy name for a foldable scovel) is a swiss army knife of weapons options. Battle-axe with the shovel blade extended or a weighted club or mace with the shovel blade folded.

11. Aaron Hutto

Aaron Hutto Master

The MacGyver Episode of Myth Busters made me doubt ole' Mac ...

12. Aaron Hutto

Aaron Hutto Master

I would be more likely to kill myself with chucks or three section staff. I am not a flexible weapon person. I would have no problem going to town with a spade shovel or an axe though! I am a fan of the farm tools. A scythe ranks WAY up there on the scary bada** meter.

Pedro, Deborah and RJ Clark like this.
  13. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

Thank you for the fun question, brings back some fond memories. My Grandpa's basement was my R&D lab for stuff like that as a kid ;) I made a boar spear with a large flat head screwdriver and other traditional (eastern, western, and euro) weapons out of found materials, made a variety of compound edged weapons (machete with an axe head pommel, stuff like that).
    One of the most practical was a manriki gusari/bolo hybrid: a length of chain (prob a heavy dog leash) that I clipped a big masterlock on each end. The locks added serious ooomph to hammerfists while the chain could block, trap, choke or be "snapped" to strike. And I had a successful leg entanglement throw on my running cousin who let me try it on him one time (my success limited me to one run since neither one of us thought he'd get as beat up as he did - yes we were very young and dumb, haha)

14. Eric M. Miller

Eric M. Miller Samurai

i wasnt going from riddick. 2 separate weapons. a coffee mug. and, scariest of all, the pen. i once took a course entittled "forever armed." newfound respect for those two deadly weapons.

Deborah likes this.
  15. Aaron

Aaron Shadow Warrior

Don't have time to comment right now, but will later... got a few things to add to this.

Deborah likes this.
  16. Enkidu

Enkidu Destroyer of your martial arts fantasies

My wife is always telling me, given that we live in Los Angeles, that we need to have a bunch of emergency supplies in case of a major earthquake. I keep telling her, as long as our neighbors are all stocked up, we won't have any trouble being well supplied with everything we need...

...she does not find that funny...

I wasn't joking...

MT_Demers, Deborah, SifuPhil and 3 others like this.
  17. Joe

Joe Disciple

I can't, but some family members can, they make things like:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think my family can help me out.. If not, I have a .22 and a .303 in the garage lol

18. Aaron

Aaron Shadow Warrior

For me this is just a matter of me going back to my root, growing up on a farm had it's advantages... I learned a lot about metal work, and had a lot of spare time during the winter. I've been making my own weapons since I was 12; bo's, stick's, chain whips, spears, still working on getting knives down properly.

Nunchaku, kinda a short range weapon. Go with sticks, chains, spears, and knives. If you can find rope get as much as you can.

Sticks should be fire hardened, this takes some skill but is fairly easy on a trail basis... if it starts on fire you kept it either too low into the flame or didn't rotate it fast enough. Stones can be chipped away at with other stones, and fixed into spears. Not easy to do, but one thing will help; good quality duct tape or heavy pipeline tape, put it on and heat it up lightly like shrink-wrapping a set of electrical wires, hockey tape works good for a make shift grip on handles. The stick and also be ground down to a point using a rock or another stick. Knives can be banged out with stone on stone, but be patient.

If the STHF, I would go raid a farm supply business (John Deere, Case, New Holland, Masey, CO-OP), on my way out of the city. They have a treasure trove of things that can be easily turned into weapons, and most of these places are located in areas of city's with low populations (industrial area's), that are on the outskirts of city's so chances are they won't be raided first, and usually a safer place to be. Also most of these places have heavy duty mechanics equipment and welding/metal work equipment with a massive set of tools, so if you hit them fast enough you would have time to get what you need and get out without having to worry too much. Knives, spears, make shift machetes/swords, whips made from heavy grade long V-belts, sprockets, cattle prods, swather blade sections, twine, roller chain,ect... Good quality steel is always available at these places too in the parts departments.

Deborah, Mario Paul, SifuPhil and 2 others like this.
  19. Ian White

Ian White Samurai

As Jason Bourne showed you can turn anything into a weapon.
    A friend of mine when he started to learn 3 section staff was practising at home in he garden. He said he had got it going pretty good and suddenly realised he didn't know how to stop it. So he just let it go a dropped to the ground, it ended up in his apple tree.LOL

20. Aaron

Aaron Shadow Warrior

Better than getting hit in the back of the head with it;)

Deborah likes this.
  21. Mario Paul

Mario Paul Samurai

You gotta be from NZ.

My mate is a master carver. I have commqissioned him to carve me a Taiaha. He has already carved me a Patu. Would also be interested in a Toki

Deborah, arron butler and Blade Maker like this.