Cramps while doing sit-ups.

Discussion in 'Health, Fitness & Nutrition' started by Jovan, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Jovan

Jovan Disciple

I get a lot of cramps in my back while doing sit ups or other excercises for my belly muscles. Does anyone knows how to fix this?

3. Dave76

Dave76 Deheuol Gwyn Dragon

Off the top of my head my first thought was your possibly not hydrated enough and or you haven't warmed up properly.

What other exercises have you tried so far?

Edit- get some magnesium supplements, their great for muscle recovery and in particular helping with cramping.

Sneaker, Jovan and Eric Dufurrena like this.
  4. Eric Dufurrena

Eric Dufurrena The Iron Fist of Fun

Electrolytes could be key, but there is a lot more information needed before one could make a reasonable deduction. How often do you work out your abs, and also how often do you do exercises for your back. Which exercises you are doing, for how long, and with what intensity. What is the surface? Your diet can play a big role.

My first instinct is to say that your back muscles are not strong enough, and/or you haven't warmed them up properly. Everything needs to be done in balance, and if you try to pump out 200 sit ups without doing anything for your back, you will be straining your back muscles and spine with the motions.

Jovan likes this.
  5. Jovan

Jovan Disciple

Well I dont work out my abs very much, like 3 times a week. I train my back muscles almost every day, but I already get cramps after doing 20 sit ups, normally I dont have this so I thought give it some rest but after 4 months I still have it.

6. Jovan

Jovan Disciple

Sit ups, and a lot of other excercices which I don't now the name of it. I do a warmup.

7. Eric Dufurrena

Eric Dufurrena The Iron Fist of Fun

Maybe you should stick with more crunch-like ab exercises, then. See if that helps alleviate the cramping at all. It does seem to be a confounding mystery, though! Good luck, keep us updated with any information or advancement.

8. Dave76

Yeah , that's definitely not good if it's coming on that quickly after having done a proper warm up and especially if its been going on that long. If we asked you a plethora of questions we could make some educated guesses , but in all seriousness Jovan don't wait any longer , get to a doctor and or sports physio and get it sorted. All the money in the world is worthless if you don't have your health.
    Hope it's something simple bro , good luck.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
    Jovan, Aaron and Eric Dufurrena like this.
  9. Aaron

Aaron Shadow Warrior

You may not be giving your back muscles enough recovery time if your working them out every day.

I would try cutting down the back muscle workouts to every other day, and make sure you do your abs on a comfortable mat.

Going to a doctor wouldn't be a bad idea. Also you could have disc out in your lower back that would be causing pain in your muscles; getting a massage or going to a chiropractor might be worth looking into; I prefer a massage usually cheaper and you would be surprised how much better the rest of you back, shoulders, neck, legs, and arms will feel.

Jovan, Dave76 and Eric Dufurrena like this.
  10. Dave76

Funny you should mention that. I spoke to my mum over X-mas about it and as a masseuse fixing back problems is her bread and butter. Interestingly enough she taught me something I didn't know, that magnesium works by attracting calcium to it and it's only in concert that these two help with muscle cramps. So a low calcium intake can also trigger muscle cramps, but, she also said that that seems unlikely given how specific the location is. She suggested one other possibility that she stressed was only one possibility, that perhaps the cramping could be a reaction to a problem with your kidney's. The example she gave me was a client of hers who always got back pain when they would bend over, but no matter how much massage he received, nothing helped. Eventually he found out that he had a kidney stone and that when he bent over the tightness in his back muscles was pressing down on the stone and causing him pain through his lower back. But she stressed that possible kidney problems are just one other possibility, so don't go panicking, just consider it as another possibility. That when you go to a doctor don't be afraid to ask if perhaps it could be referred pain.

Cut and paste from Medical Dictionary -

Referred pain: Pain felt at a site other than where the cause is situated. An example is the pain from the pancreas, which is felt in the back. Pain in internal organs is often referred to sites distant from them. Mechanisms of referred pain are complex, and are related to innervations of organs by afferent pain fibers which following similar paths as the sympathetic nervous system.

Jovan and Eric Dufurrena like this.
  11. Kuyaken

Kuyaken Karate for the streets not just for trophies

I agree with everyone here, its hydration and electrolytes whilst training. There's some electrolyte based sports drinks available on the market,. Also salt is another cause you can have too much BUT you can also have too little, I find a little salt is good for you that is why salt tablets are given in survival kits etc. note long distance running is a common source of getting cramps

Eric Dufurrena likes this.
  12. Jovan

Jovan Disciple

Well this sounds clear, my mother puts in too much salt in all the food she makes for me. And about long distance running, I do like 15 km's a week, that is not too much or is it? And what other people said about going to a dokter, I will go to one thanks guys.