Daily motivation to exercise, or where's that round tuit?

Discussion in 'Health, Fitness & Nutrition' started by Locutus, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Locutus

Locutus Your fight is futile, my hands are pounding you!

I love my martial arts. If there were seven or more sessions a week I would gladly go to them. Unfortunately there are only two sessions a week. The rest of the time I could be doing exercises at home.

However, I have a tendency that when I get home I am more of a SWU (Seat Warmer Upper) instead of going to SWU (Start Warming Up). The mind is willing, the body is....meh, I'll get a round tuit later. Then later never comes and before I know it I have turned into a gunna. In the dojo I am completely the opposite o_O .

So what gets all of you motivated to do daily exercises at home or outside the dojo? Whether it is "road work" or jumping jacks I don't care. I just want to know what gives you that oomph to switch off the facebook and youtube videos and spend some quality time expelling water and mineral salts.

And can someone also explain to me why I am a flubber (you do know what flubber is don't you?) in the dojo but a jabba the hut outside of it?

Red Australian likes this.
  3. dmach

dmach Martial Archivest

Why you are a blob of perpetual motion inside the Dojo and an Intergalactic gangster outside - yep can't answer that one. I hit the gym every morning and it was rough to start, but its becoming more of a habit now, so I think its a matter of make the commitment and stick to it - kinda like marriage. :D

[​IMG]

Hey - If you are Jabba the Hutt outside the gym... does that mean you have a scantily clad princess chained to your throne? :ROFLMAO:

4. Locutus

Well the wife does get a bit cold sometimes and wants to be let out of the bathroom. :whistle:

SifuPhil and dmach like this.
  5. Gone

Gone Guest

If I quit then I will be like every other limp-wristed softcock that did, too.

Sabomnim Dan, RJ Clark and Locutus like this.
  6. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

Two very good reasons. 1. to be able to outlast, or at the very least last as long as, the young bucks who still naturally have all the advantages of youth 2. To be better able to defend my family, friends, and myself. Being fit allows me to be able to absorb more punishment when necessary and continuously deliver pain and suffering to those that would harm me or mine. Technique isn't everything, nor is strength and endurance. But when you put the three together you are closer to being a war machine than if you're missing one or more.

dmach likes this.
  7. Enkidu

Enkidu Destroyer of your martial arts fantasies

My motivation?

Being fast, powerful, flexible, and strong is awesome.

Also, as RJ mentioned, at age 42, I like being able to outperform guys half my age, and still be able to catch a young 20-something girl checking my ass out.

8. SifuPhil

SifuPhil Lucky Cat Is Lucky

Best. Reason. Ever. (y)

Enkidu likes this.
  9. Mr.Bond

Mr.Bond Big Ass Dog

When I was 35 I was doing a lot of international travelling...sales and I was not in awful shape, but I was not in "good" shape or at least the shape that I was used to being in. So, I hired a personal trainer and told him about the travelling bit. So the deal we made was that if I was in town, I would go work out with him. If I did not go, then he would charge me anyway. That happened once, he was not cheap. So, eventually, I had to hit the road and when I got back, we resumed where we left off. Same reps. same weights etc. After turning green and throwing up (in the restroom) and finishing the work out, I made it a point to work out hard on my own when I was travelling. I took some elastic bands, a jump rope and did body weights exercises or ran stairs in the hotel or both if no gym was available. I made a habit of working out every day, doing something at least, and when the period with the personal trainer expired, which was about six months, I had created a HABIT and when I laid on the couch watching the news at 6 PM and began falling sleep, which happened every day at that time, I GOT UP and went to work out. I joined a gym in Tampa which had executive boxing program, which I enjoyed tremendously and would alternate between weights and boxing. On weekends, I would ride my bicycle and walk my big ass German Shepherd....I walked him every day, really. What happened was that A HABIT was formed, and I had made a deal to MYSELF, that WHEN I was falling sleep on the couch at six PM, I would GET UP and GO and always felt better afterwards. So YOU have to MAKE that deal.

This is kind of long, but I remember taking a shower on of those beach showers in Clearwater Beach, AND I had a couple of 20 somethings checking me out, so make it a habit by paying a personal trainer to push you those off days, take showers in public places and get a big ass dog! All of the above is true. The big ass dog is the black one!

Locutus likes this.
  10. SifuPhil

Man, you guys really know how to motivate a person!

The only people I have checking out MY tuchus these days are aging drag queens - then afterward I hear

"Oh, NO, sweetheart - I'm not THAT desperate!" :meh:

RJ Clark, dmach, Enkidu and 1 other person like this.
  11. Locutus

I get the point. Thanks for all of your input peoples. :)

12. SifuPhil

I have to say, thanks to this thread I've been motivated to start working out again. Here's the results of two INTENSE days of training - NO CHEMICALS! ALL NATURAL!

Phil-As-Bodybuilder.jpg

dmach, Locutus and Enkidu like this.
  13. Locutus

14. Gone

Gone Guest

My biggest problem is not pushing myself hard enough, often enough.

I have a bare minimum that I do every day and that's what I keep to 90% of the time.

Without a training partner I find it very difficult to muster the intensity to go much further in the training.

Locutus likes this.
  15. Enkidu

Enkidu Destroyer of your martial arts fantasies

I am not saying that a good training partner isn't an asset -- it most definitely is -- but solo training can be very effective too, particularly if you have written your program out and the weights, reps, sets that you are going to perform. With weights, at least, you build up slowly to a peak, back off, then build up slowly to a new, higher, peak. Short, medium, and long-term planning can go a long ways to helping your motivation.

16. Void_Karateka

Void_Karateka Pauper Karateka

At the mo I'm completely demotivated to do anything so it's a chore to get up and do anything in relation to my physical well being. My MA is currently lacking direction and purpose and all I seem to be doing is the 9-5.

The only reason I get up and go is because if I stayed in the house I'd just be inflicting my current shitty moods on my family, which you just don't do (not their fault I'm acting a complete arse). So I get up, go out and train and come back completely tolerable :)

17. soylette

soylette Initiate

getting stronger and more flexible helps a lot in my martial arts performance, so that motivates me a lot. it's not that hard to do if you do your stretching and pushups/situps whatever while you're watching movies at night instead of laying on the couch. just a few is better than doing zero.