Dana White Says Gustafsson Being Pulled From UFC on Fuel TV 9 is Worst Decision Ever

Discussion in 'News' started by Kevin, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

Gustafsson's fight with Gegard Mousasi was pulled a few days because of a nasty cut above his left eye. The decision was made by the Sweden athletic commission. The event is still going on, with his training partner Ilir Latifi taking his place.

As you can see, the cut was very nasty.

gustaf-1.jpg

Dana tweeted today that is was the worst decision to ever pull a fight. As you can see from the photo of him today, Gustafsson has healed pretty quickly.

gustaf-2.jpg

I think Dana may be overacting on this one. The cut does look better, but these types of cuts open back up really easily, and I reckon it would have been burst open again in the first round.

What do you think?

Kev

3. MattCMMA

MattCMMA Master

I agree. that cut is nasty and usually takes about 10-15 days for healing. Dana is pissed that he doesn't have the athletic commission in his back pocket like he's used to with the NSAC. Also for Gustafsson's camp the cut was from wrestling practice and is a pretty amatuer mistake. Wrestling practice so close to a fight with no head gear just cost them a big paycheck.

Even if the fight was still on, imagine how pissed everyone would be if he takes a few shots and the cut re-opens and the main event is stopped, would suck a lot more then the current fight.

4. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

It isn't worth him taking the risk. He's currently ranked #2 in the lightweight division, just behind Lyota apparently.
    Even if he is dominating the fight, it could be stopped because of the cut, and we have all seen how quickly the UFC can move a fighter down the pecking order after one loss.

5. Eric Dufurrena

Eric Dufurrena The Iron Fist of Fun

I read that the cut was only superglued together. That will pop right open on a hard blink!

Kevin likes this.
  6. Eric Dufurrena

The card, in my opinion, isn't that exciting. I am looking forward to Pearson Vs. Couture, Brandao Vs. Garza, and maybe a couple of others, but not excited about anything. Hopefully we will see some good fights, though.

7. MattCMMA

MattCMMA Master

plenty of good fighting going on this weekend. especially the invicta card.

Friday: -One FC 8 - 6am -Invicta FC 5 - 7pm -Coliseau Extreme Fight 6 - 8pm -ROC 44 - 8:30pm -ESPN Friday Night Fights - 9pm All Times ET

Saturday: -UFC on FUEL 9 - 10:30am -GLORY 6: Istanbul - 1pm -HBO Boxing - 2pm -SuperKombat WGP - 2pm -Jungle Fight 50 - 8pm All Times ET

8. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

Sometimes those are the best cards, as everyone on the card is hungry and has something to prove.

It's hard to excited to get excited about fights like evans/nog yet. Some of the bigger names have had some really boring fights recently.

There's a few fights I want to see on this card. It's the debut of Irish fighter Conor McGregor. I listened to him on the ESPN UFC podcast the other day. He seems like a great prospect...knocking out everyone in the 1st or 2nd round. He's fighting a guy with 3 UFC fights under his belt, so it's a big jump up for him. Though we have seen a lot of debutants recently making great first time appearances.

Papy Abedi could be a good fight too. He lost his first two fights in the UFC so he will be out there gunning for it. He's had 10 fights and never once been in the third round, so I doubt that will be a humpfest.

I used to be wary of these cards, but some of them have been great recently. Plus, I think it's great watching the guys who are really hungry.

MattCMMA, Enkidu and Eric Dufurrena like this.
  9. MattCMMA

MattCMMA Master

10. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

MattCMMA likes this.
  11. MattCMMA

MattCMMA Master

He does well :)

[​IMG]

12. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

He was fantastic Matt. He really lived up to the hype. I thought he was amazing.

Very few people swagger about the ring like that on their debut.....and he backed up his swagger. He actually reminded me of Anderson Silva a little with the way he picked him out with accurate shots. And his uppercuts were fantastic too. He made Brimage look very ordinary...and this was a guy with 3 wins and 0 losses in the UFC.

He was hilarious in the post-fight conference too.

Overall, I thought the card was fantastic. There weren't really any boring fights, though I'm not a big fan of the way Ryan Couture fights. He was effective with it in the first round, though it is very frustrating to watch. He made Fitch look exciting!

The main event wasn't too exciting (bar the last 30 seconds), but you can't blame the guy after dropping around 30 lbs in 3 days. From the first round he looked as if he had just finished a marathon.

13. MattCMMA

MattCMMA Master

I'm very excited over Conor Mcgregor. His striking is insane, and more so in the post press conference where he said he was willing to fight at 145 or 155... fuckin awesome. I don't care what weight class he fights in.. all I want to see is more. Word is that he's going to be on the Boston Card just can't wait to see who he will be fighting.

I don't blame the guy as well, he showed a lot of heart and considering the circumstances, he did very well.

But this also raises a question. The commission was willing to pull Gustafsson off the card over a cut for the sake of fighter safety. [Cut reopens, blocks eye sight, fight could get hurt] BUT they're are willing to allow a replacement fighter cut 30lbs within a 3 day period, only giving him 24 hours to recover and then fight. Where was the safety outlook of the commission in this case?

14. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

Yeah he's supposed to be on the Boston card. I imagine he his following fight will either be in Ireland, or somewhere in Europe. If he wins in that fashion again and again, it won't be long until he breaks the top ten.

You make a good point about the main event. From a health point of view, it's probably worst for a fighter's health to drop so much weight in such a short space of time. I've never seen him fight before, but in the last 30 seconds of the fight he showed a glimpse of what he is possible with. He looks like he has a very strong punch.

I feel for the guy. He was in a lose-lose situation. He was essentially taking a loss so that he didn't go out of favour with the UFC. If he turned it down, I don't think the UFC would have been too pleased. But he stepped up, even though he probably realised it was a guaranteed loss. I mean, who cuts 2 stone in 3 days and then fights a guy who is 33 and 4. It's insane.

MattCMMA likes this.
  15. MattCMMA

MattCMMA Master

Yeah, but it was the right move if he wants to make a living as a fighter. He impressed most of all Dana and the bosses by taking the fight on short notice, cutting all that weight and then took as ass kicking to save the main event. Now he'll get a real fight with the UFC and be able to prepare properly. It's amazing how long he went with such a weight cut.

16. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

Yeah, it's pretty impressive. Most guys are coming off a 3 month intensive training camp.

The UFC have been pretty vocal recently about guys not taking fights etc.

17. MattCMMA

MattCMMA Master

And they should. Come on...Seriously? Unless You're Anderson Silva or GSP. The 2 most dominant Champions in UFC History. You take fights, not choose. Even as a champion, you can't duck for too long. [GSP is going to fight Hendricks ]. Even as a champion you have a choice...for so long. In the end.. fighting #1 contender's aren't a luxury that you choose.

Eric Dufurrena likes this.
  18. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

Yeah they definitely should. The growth of the UFC can in part be attributed to how fucked up boxing is, with 4 "legitimate" champions in each division, and the fans never getting to see the fights they want. Boxers pretty much pick and choose who they want to fight, which has helped top boxers avoid stylistic match ups that would have messed up their winning streak (which is all boxing promoters seem to care about).

When I mentioned the UFC being vocal, I was referring to the Jon Jones incident. He refused to take Chael Sonnen on short notice, resulting in the first cancellation of an event under Zuffa. They were mega pissed about it.

A similar situation seems to be occurring with number 1 contender shots. When someone gets to the number 1 contender shot and the champion gets injured, should they fight the next in line, or should they wait for the champion to recover?

19. Eric Dufurrena

In GSP's case, Diaz is the only person he asked to fight. I don't think he was ducking Hendricks. When everyone asked Dana why he was letting GSP fight Diaz, his response was "he has done everything we asked of him for years, and he has never asked for anything."
    With Silva, its all about the money.

20. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

When I mentioned that, I actually thought about Condit.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...carlos-condit-says-hell-wait-all-year-for-gsp

I can't blame fighters for waiting. It can take two or three years to string together a win streak that will give you a title shot. If the champion gets injured and they lose a fight before he returns, they'll probably lose their title shot, and it may be years until they get another one (if any).