Do We Need To Start Groups Here?

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by Kevin, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

The discussion regarding pressure points will probably feel familiar to many members here. We've been here many times on topics such as chi, energy etc.

Rather than sweep this under the carpet, why don't we have fun with this?

Elephant In The Room.jpeg

Why don't we stop hiding behind our names and avatars and tell the world who we are. I propose we create new groups such as:

• Believers, Non-Believers and Undecided
    or
    • Skeptics, Non-Sceptics and Doubters
    What do you think - would badges save a lot of heated discussions here?

Kevin :):)

SifuPhil and Master of Nothing like this.
  3. Enkidu

Enkidu Destroyer of your martial arts fantasies

Put me down for the atheist, skeptic, rational, logical, accepting of science, evidence-based thinking, rejecting of pseudo-science and the paranormal, accepting of evolution, etc. badge, please.

dgasmd likes this.
  4. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

I suspect your badge is going to be bigger than others :D

SifuPhil, Judah and Enkidu like this.
  5. Caneman

Caneman Test all things.

Pressure points... clearly definable by the nerve clusters which lay beneath them... generating an electro-chemical response.
    And since Endiku took his post a little bit further, I will too.
    I am not politically correct; I believe in one true God.
    I do not accept the theory of evolution, but I do accept the proven biological science of adaptation, two wholly separate things.
    I am a mathematician, engineer and architect and comprehend pieces of the probabilities of impossibility and the unfathomable that lies beyond it.
    Feel free to try and figure that badge out.

6. Enkidu

Me too:

[​IMG]

:)

7. Joe

Joe Disciple

I am a skeptic, if I haven't had it done on ME, then I highly doubt it's effectiveness. With the exception of locks, They have never made me pass out.. Yet, I know they work. The thin with the Chi is that it is "energy flowing through you" and BAM! hits your opponent like a ton of bricks.. Sounds very.. Star wars, Dragon Ball, street fighter to me.. The thing they all have in common? They are fiction. :)

I believe there could be something out there.. Maybe a higher being, but if they were there would they not have shown themselves?

Kev, you decide of the badges :) I want the biggest one though :D

8. Caneman

Caneman Test all things.

LMAO... to each his own :)

Enkidu likes this.
  9. Gone

Gone Guest

I haven't used a pressure point attack on someone, and nor has someone done a pressure point attack to me. But the theory of attacking vital points of the body (arteries, particular nerves, etc) does seem plausible. So I am Skeptical, but willing to believe that it works.

10. Sherratt

Sherratt Disciple

i dont believe in religon however i am somewhat open to the posibility of a "higher being (or beings)" somewhere out there. having had pressure point manipulation done on me buy our master a coupple of the few times he comes over to new zealand from australia to do grading I can say they are no joke. when applied properly its all but impossible to resist them. you feal INTENCE pain and it feels like the area thats being held is about to snap

11. Dave76

Dave76 Deheuol Gwyn Dragon

Well put. That I can believe in, because it can be proven, shown to me, demonstrated on me.
    http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&r...5S0891bKfpGXo_qCg&sig2=bSglDKoBYFmStG8E0G-E9A
    This is an article by Earl Montaigue about dim mak. It's very detailed about pressure point locations, the problem I have is when he starts to go on about redirecting chi flow, or being able to cause my body to stop absorbing chi energy. Do I believe in pressure points, yes, as Caneman summed it up - points that have nerve clusters beneath them. But do I believe you can tap me in points 1, 2 and 3 and then my liver function will slowly begin to shut down....NO.
    Earls been around for a long time, I'd be surprised if some of you did'nt know of him. Yet even he draws the line at being able to project your chi out of your body and hit a target without touching them.

Put me down for a skeptics badge when it comes to chi energy.
    Religion? For me science does'nt have all the answers - Big Bang therory...great, but where'd all the matter that went bang come from??? No I don't believe that it must just always have been and that humans just can't get their heads around that concept.
    But organised religion does'nt float my bout either. 90% of all wars in human history have been started by organised religion.
    Agnostic...is that the term. I believe there must be something MORE, but I don't believe that any one body of science or religion has found that answer yet...Quite frankly, I'm good....I'll live my life and worry about all that shit when I'm dead:)

12. Sherratt

Sherratt Disciple

Thats how ive desided to think about it as well :)

13. Enkidu

Science isn't embarrassed to say when it doesn't know something yet. Filling in what we don't yet know with "God" is disingenuous though and is part of the fallacious "God of the gaps" argument.

BTW, there are a number of interesting hypotheses about how we got something from nothing, including the multiverse and the fact that apparently from what we know of string theory, if you start with "nothing" you will always get something. Physicist Lawrence Krauss has written about it. Here is a talk he gives with eminent evolutionist Richard Dawkins on the subject:

14. WonderingFist

WonderingFist Disciple of Mind

hmm..
    I believe in qi, I don't believe in fireballs.
    I believe gods exist, but that's the end of it. No religion is right or any more valid than another.
    I like logic and rationality, though I'm comfortable with reservations.
    I'm cool with science, though I don't really care for it.
    I'm cool with mysticism, again though, I don't really care.

Caladriel, chris halkett and SifuPhil like this.
  15. Aaron

Aaron Shadow Warrior

I believe in pressure point attacks, almost been knocked out by a few, and it takes little effort from the attacker when done right.
    As for chi/ki or however else you want to spell it, I haven't been attacked by it... that I know of... but I am not ruling it out, wouldn't mind doing some internal martial arts to work on it.

16. Eric M. Miller

Eric M. Miller Samurai

pressure points= believer. i know more than 127 of them.
    qi/chi/no contact arts=hardcore unbeliever.

and im all for badges :D

17. SifuPhil

SifuPhil Lucky Cat Is Lucky

Badges? We ain't got no badges ... we don't need no badges ... I don't have to show you no stinkin' badges! :sneaky:

Put me down for the Believer badge which, judging from the majority of responses here, should be small, pink, heart-shaped and filled with pictures of unicorns and dancing fairies ...o_O

Wait - is there a Conditional Believer badge? One that says that MY conception of qi is correct, but the YouTube / TV / movie versions are wrong?

Believer badge.png

Aaron, WonderingFist and Kevin like this.
  18. SifuPhil

SifuPhil Lucky Cat Is Lucky

But seriously ... o_O

Badges, like any other labels, put us in a restrictive category, a niche, and would I think be more divisive than anything else. We all seem to get along here pretty well in spite of our differing beliefs (well, except Enkidu, but he's... you know... :p ) and part of that is that we aren't in opposing "camps" - we're complimentary, not opposed.

Once we have battle standards that we can proudly fly - and feel the need to defend - then we'll have more reasons to fight.

Just my thoughts.

Eric M. Miller, Enkidu and Dave76 like this.
  19. Dave76

Knights at the round table! All equal and no one put in a lessor place. Well said sir!

Eric M. Miller and SifuPhil like this.
  20. Dave76

I just re-read that. Sorry...I've been at a medievil fair all day, still talking like an arthurian...

SifuPhil likes this.
  21. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

I think a better statement would be:

"Religion is wrong and every religion is no more invalid than another." :D

You sound agnostic on the subject of religion. I think for the most part, most people in the world are i.e. they believe in something but just don't know what.

For me, agnostics are atheists who don't want to let go of what they were taught (forcibly taught) when they were young. I was brought up Catholic but I am now atheist. I didn't turn atheist overnight but the more I looked into things, the more I realised that none of it was true.

I was very religious as a child. I went to catholic primary and high schools, prayed every night when I was young and was baptised, had communion, confirmation etc. We went to chapel every week too. Looking back, I had doubts, I just didn't realise they were doubts.

For example, I remember asking my teacher when I was about 7 about heaven. I was innocently trying to understand how heaven worked and the teacher, to her credit, tried her best to explain it to me. Specifically, I asked the teacher about what people looked like. I asked questions like 'if you die when you are old, does my gran and papa see me as a child or as an old man'. I also asked what happened if someone lost their husband in the war. Would they be reunited with their husband who has been waiting for 60+ years or the man she remarried and spent the rest of her life with and had children, grandchildren etc. The teacher did her best to explain things but she couldn't.

The funny thing was, it was my brother who helped me become an atheist. When I was in my teens someone asked my brother about God and he said he didn't believe there was one and it surprised me. It didn't surprise me that he was an atheist (I didn't even know the term then), I was more surprised that it was even an option. I had never even considered that not believing there was a God was possible. Sounds silly when I think about it now.

As someone who grew up with religion, I do understand why people follow it. My parents still go to church and chapel (protestant and catholic) services every week and I know they find comfort in that. I'm not an agressive atheist who talks about religion or my beliefs, unless someone brings it up.

I know religious is a difficult subject topic to discuss but I thought I'd explain why I am the way I am. Anyways, back to the badges :):)

Eric M. Miller, Enkidu and SifuPhil like this.