Do We Need To Start Groups Here?

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by Kevin, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

Damn. I was preparing the crips and bloods badges too. I'll need to start all over :):):)

Enkidu and SifuPhil like this.
  2. SifuPhil

SifuPhil Lucky Cat Is Lucky

LMAO!

Red and blue would be fashionable here, I think ...

3. SifuPhil

Thou art well-spoken, knave! Prithy, stay thy tongue a while, lest yon onlookers think lesser of thee ...

4. Dave76

Dave76 Deheuol Gwyn Dragon

It is thy head tat be full of mead good sir and not thy usual wisdom of lessor offerings. For good chance did I take upon thy tankards full and found not one drop did I spill.

5. Judah

Judah fights in tights

Brave Sir Knight, shouldst thou desireth to continue thine Arthurian speech, know now that ye muste addeth ye extra "E" and "ethe" to many a worde and bandy such utterances as "forsook" "troth" and "verily"

;)

SifuPhil and Dave76 like this.
  6. SifuPhil

By my troth, yon wenches were mine own Hell, verily! Meade be but a lubricant ...

Dang, now I'm gonna' start talking like a pirate! :jimlad:

"Ye scurvy dogs, look lively else ye'll be kissin' th' Captain's Daughter! There be badges on the lar an' not a man among ye ta be fightin', ye poxed chum-buckets! "

7. WonderingFist

WonderingFist Disciple of Mind

I was never raised as a religious person, my household isn't particularly religious, and whenever someone told me about why I should believe what they believe, I usually told them to go stick it somewhere else....
    and the religion of science was just as aggressive as most other theistic religions.

All major faiths though in one way or another seem to leave at least 1 gaping hole in their story and most people either follow blindly or choose to tear open that whole.

The way I 'formed my belief' was just thinking, I believe there must be a god, and it makes more sense if there's multiple. You can't have a single infallible, omnipotent yet rational, omniscient yet unknowing, 'perfectly benevolent' god that is simultaneously creating, maintaining and destroying. Just doesn't make sense. Now that I had established there was/is multiple gods - and there's no way to know anything else, I'd rather be a good person than a bad person. I'd rather be virtuous than a hedonist or an asshole.

Thus ends my religious origins.

Philosophically, I'm told I'm a heretical-taoist, but taoist regardless. Balance/Contentment makes sense.

...and that's about it.

SifuPhil and Kevin like this.
  8. Judah

Judah fights in tights

I was raised atheist but changed when I was 21. I wasn't forced to believe anything. :)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345899243.959398.jpg
    Jesus is my homeboy you mess with him you mess with me and Ima rain down righteous jihad on yo godless unbelieving ass! Lmao jokin!
    I really don't care what other people's views on god are as long as they don't try ramming them down MY neck. I know I'm right and I don't have to prove it to anyone. Religion is a deeply personal and subjective thing, even scholars of the same faith disagree on certain subjects. :)

Kevin likes this.
  9. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

Good post. I've met lots of people during my travels. It's always interesting to hear how others were brought up with religion and how they formed their beliefs.

I agree. I don't like atheists or religious people ramming facts, faith or whatever....especially down the pub!

10. Judah

Judah fights in tights

Ok can I have one of each? I believe in god but I'm not 100% convinced with the bible or any other religious scripture I've read, I believe in evolution and science, I also believe in 42, life the universe and everything.. As far as martial arts go I believe in simplicity, honesty and directness... And punching people in the face when they disagree with me.. Oh no, I lied, I don't really care when people disagree with me, I just think they're wrong unless they can convince me to think otherwise. I don't believe in tradition or the notion that because something has been done for hundreds of years that it's somehow better or more correct. I like to challenge what is and ask "why?" over and over again like a 5 year old... Well maybe not that annoyingly but I rarely take anything at face value and will always ask, if there's something I don't understand and I won't accept any old answer if it makes no sense to me.

I have many controversial views on a number of subjects, I rarely go with the flow of popular opinion as the path of least resistance isn't always the best route. Many people would say my beliefs/opinions are contradictory (how can I believe in god & the theory of evolution for example)

Enkidu likes this.
  11. Judah

Judah fights in tights

Yeah the only thing I like ramming is ladies.... But that's a different thread!

Kevin likes this.
  12. MadoreGojuRyu

MadoreGojuRyu Master

Ancient Astronaut Theorist here....giorgio tsoukalos FTW

13. Enkidu

Enkidu Destroyer of your martial arts fantasies

I was going to be a bit more blunt and say something like, "agnostics are atheists who are too pussy to admit it." But I like the way you said it better. Unfortunately, there is still a huge stigma attached to being an atheist, so a lot of people who are functionally atheist simply don't go that last step and declare themselves non-believers, instead using words like agnostic, spiritual, or thinking there is something out there, but not knowing what it is.

14. SifuPhil

Now, see? SEE what happens when you start off with simple little badges?!? :eek:

Kevin likes this.
  15. Dave76

I'd heard the expression "if you want to start an arguement, bring up politics or religion".
    I'll guess we now have to add badges!

SifuPhil likes this.
  16. Enkidu

The late, great Christopher Hitchens was asked why people choose to believe in Heaven and his response was something along the lines of (I am paraphrasing and not doing him justice):

When you die, it isn't just that someone comes and taps you on the shoulder and says 'the party's over' -- no, they tap you on the shoulder and say, 'the party is still going on, but you've got to go.' With heaven, we are promised that the party will go on forever, and the boss says, 'you can never leave.'

17. Dave76

O'kay, first thing that came to mind then was 'Hotel California'

I'm still making my way thru that discussion on ' Something from Nothing', about 45min into it - thanks for that by the way.

18. Enkidu

In honor of this thread and the pressure point chi discussion thread, I have changed my signature from "Who run Bartertown" to a wonderful quote by Christopher Hitchens.

BTW, Dave, there are several other videos in which Krauss discusses the concept of something from nothing, some of the data is overlapping, but some of it isn't. I haven't yet begun to read his book on the subject, but it is on my to-do list.

19. Caladriel

Caladriel Initiate

lol, love the discussions about religion and believes and pressure points.

as far as religion goes - I have been brought up in a very religious family, however I am a scientist to the very core of my being. I find in some ways they don't always exclude each other necessarily, but it provides some interesting quandaries at times. In any case for the most part I think religion is something people want to believe in to help them with their lives. Fine by me as long as they keep it to themselves - each to their own :)

pressure points: now that's an interesting one for me. I have read a bit on the theory, it makes sense physiologically. And I have seen them work on other people - unless all the guys really fake the pain all the time - and I have my doubts that that so many different people are that good at faking that much pain. However, they don't seem to work on me for some reason (well the ones we've tried so far anyways) - and it was not for the lack of trying to find them - I did bring home some impressive bruises from those seminars.

As far as Qi, Chi (correct spelling?) goes - skeptical for sure, but open to be convinced otherwise, hehe.

and for badges... hehe, good luck figuring out where I'd fit in ;)

p.s. great thread btw

20. Judah

Judah fights in tights

I'd there gonna be a badge design contest now or what??

Can this be mine?? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346000720.017734.jpg