Dummy or heavy bag for home?

Discussion in 'Training Gear' started by dgasmd, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Enkidu

Enkidu Destroyer of your martial arts fantasies

I first found out about the device about 7 years ago on myspace when the creator of the device contacted me trying to promote it. I've been meaning to buy or make one. Frankly I'd rather buy one just to give the guy who thought of it something for such a brilliant idea.

RJ Clark likes this.
  2. Blade Maker

Blade Maker Master

I like using a resistance dummy, think a board mounted, upright, to a really powerful coil spring, and you can put bags ,dummies or wooden men on it. I also like a heavy bag, the bigger the better, i like kicking and heavy bags are good for that.

Enkidu likes this.
  3. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

I've never came across that before. Interesting. Have any pro boxers used this?

4. Enkidu

Enkidu Destroyer of your martial arts fantasies

I know that some have, but I really couldn't tell you how many or how prevalent it's use is among pro boxers. However, despite never having used it, it does seem like a pretty brilliant idea and I even talked years ago with the guy who made it about making one for Muay Thai/MMA striking.

5. Master of Nothing

Master of Nothing Psychotic Pacifist

Agreed. Although I LOVE BOB!! For precision striking (and kicking). But, after a little while. BOB just wears out. Most of the time I end up putting sparring gear on BOB. But, he stills get beat up. Its really hard to find a better option to a good'ol sand filled heavybag.

Maybe a hanging wooden Mook Jong after a lot of conditioning. Just, good luck finding a place to hang that.

Kevin likes this.
  6. Sherratt

Sherratt Disciple

Defenitly a heavy kick bag for the martial arts you do. Great for just about every kick and strike except spinning heel since a kick bag wont allow you to do the follow through which is crucial with that particular kick

7. Johnny186

Johnny186 Initiate

heavy bag definitely and dgasmd pursue one art and master it before you start bringing in alot of others. It is OK even good to dabble in other arts but find a base and master it first to me karate is an excellent base, but that is where my Black belt is at so I may be biased :) . I like having both a dancing bag and a free standing bag. The free standing bag helps you prepare for the guy who likes to fight in the pocket and the dancing bag for the guy who likes to move.

8. tony7

tony7 Disciple

heavy bag for me, after the daily stresses , i want to launch that bag to the moon!! lol, plus the constant dead weight coming back at you is a good way to see if the step in sidekick still works....

Dpendleton likes this.
  9. starprocombat1

starprocombat1 Initiate

both dummy and heavy bag provide incredible benefits and have unique features.
    Starpro Combat’s punching bags are developed for durability, heft, and resistance, so that you get all the benefits of training heavy while perfecting your moves.