Explosions hit Boston Marathon

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Kevin, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

Sickening series of events at Boston today. I hope they catch the cowards that did this and string them up.

News so far is that they still do not know who done this or why.

3. Charlay Atkins

Charlay Atkins Samurai

I agree Kevin, my thoughts are with all those it has affected in this horrible act of violence and cowardice.

4. Enkidu

Enkidu Destroyer of your martial arts fantasies

My sister was running in it and was somewhere between the 22 mile mark and the finish line when it happened. Luckily she is safe and unhurt.

My gut says is that it is some extremist right wing domestic terrorist like the OKC bombing and the Olympic Village Bombing. Anti-government rhetoric is at an all time high, it occurred near when the OKC bombing happened, on tax day on this country as well, it was at a crowd at a sporting event (like the Olympic village bombing) and just doesn't "feel" like a Jihadist bombing for whatever reason.

5. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

I'm glad your sister is ok. I'm sure you must have been really concerned when the news broke.

Boston is such a great city. I stayed there for a week during the 2006 World Cup. I had such an amazing time.

I read that many runners stopped in the middle and went right to the hospital to donate blood. Fair play to them, particularly after finishing a marathon. I hope they can get to the bottom of this.

Enkidu likes this.
  6. Mr.Bond

Mr.Bond Big Ass Dog

Wow, Enkidu...hope she is doing well.

No excuse for murdering children....

7. Enkidu

She's fine, thanks. A little freaked out, but fine.

8. Ninpo Mart

Ninpo Mart Initiate

Events like this just make me sick to my stomach. You have to be pretty sick in the head to hurt innocent people for no reason.

Enkidu - glad your sister is safe

Enkidu likes this.
  9. Locutus

Locutus Your fight is futile, my hands are pounding you!

My condolences to all those effected by the bombings. It saddens me that people are so twisted that they feel they must hurt innocent people. :cry:

10. dmach

dmach Martial Archivest

Glad to hear your sister is safe Enkidu. It's amazing how much speculation is being thrown around though, NY Times said that an injured Saudi was being treated as a suspect - Boston PD said "thats news to us!"

Repercussions are being felt all around the world now. Security for Margaret Thatcher's funeral is going to get ramped up and local news said that they are going to review security for the Gold Coast Marathon next month, not to mention the G-20 summit in Brisbane 2014. Probably going to have SAS around every corner!!

Enkidu likes this.
  11. Caneman

Caneman Test all things.

I am growing terribly weary of the “official” responses and actions of our governmental representatives and their absolute lack of logic.

Here is a quote from our President after the Boston bombing:
    "We still do not know who did this or why," he said from the Brady Press Briefing Room, cautioning people against jumping to conclusions. "But make no mistake, we will get to the bottom of this, and we will find out who did this, we'll find out why they did this."
    Any individuals or groups responsible for the "senseless" bombing, he added, will "feel the full weight of justice."

I am sorry, but once again our leaders and quite possibly the majority of our society are missing the mark. This is NO statement against the President; simply that he echoes a prevalent statement in our society.

Why they did it? Why they did it? Is that a real question?
    …Senseless bombing? There are bombings that make sense? (remove the context of war – whole other discussion)
    I and some others would describe this as sin and evil. Humanists, anthropologists or sociologists might just say that violence is in the nature of “man” and misdirected but innate in genetic survival. But, every time we see an act of violence against innocents, do we really feel this need to explain and possibly try to justify their anger and what drove them to perform this heinous act?
    I don’t want to hear it; it offends me; it softens the minds of those who follow the circus. When was the last time you thought like a sociopath? Because that is how you will need to think to understand. The root is “why” they did it, but the answer never changes. It is singular: violent criminal offender with intent to murder.
    They are violent criminal offenders and predatory animals (frankly an insult to animals). They are simply choosing an easy target as a resource for some perceived gain. “But Jimmy was such a good boy, kind and quiet…” Whether Jimmy was or was not is inconsequential now. The cause of the behavior is NOT worth my time nor is it relevant, as there is no justifiable cause. I will not ever say “Oh, so that is why.” There is no justification for a motivation to harm those who have done you no harm, ever. And, any justification of the embodiment of an individual into a group, ethnicity, nationality, or otherwise is simply hate.
    My bitter expectation is now our legislators can limit the sales of explosives to law abiding citizens to reduce bombings… if their recent “progress” bears future similarity in action.

12. Enkidu

Gotta disagree with you on the irrelevance of asking the question "why" they did this. Asking "why" isn't the same thing as giving credence to whatever grievances the person or group has, but it does make us more cognizant of a threat and being better able in the future to predict certain people or groups who might conduct similar attacks. If there is some ideological motive for these attacks, then we need to focus more on people who hold that ideology when it comes to crime prevention. IMO, "why" is a very important question to ask. We can ask why Hitler would commit the Holocaust without justifying it in any way. Asking "why" may also tell you why they chose the target they did, so as to make us more vigilant in protecting future targets that would be likely.

RJ Clark, Sabomnim Dan and MattCMMA like this.
  13. Mr.Bond

Mr.Bond Big Ass Dog

From INN:

Shortly after terror bombs exploded and murdered over 12 people at the Boston Marathon, members of Hamas, Islamic Jihad and Hezbollah were reported to be dancing in the streets of Gaza, handing out candies to passerbys.
    A number of Palestinians had danced in the street in celebration of the 9/11 attacks in 2001 on the World Trade Center and Washington resulting in the deaths of thousands of Americans.
    The head of an Islamic terror organization in Jordan – the Muslim Salafi group says he’s “happy to see the horror in America” after the bombing attacks in Boston.
    “American blood isn’t more precious than Muslim blood,” said Mohammad al-Chalabi, who was convicted in an al-Qaeda-linked plot to attack US and other Western diplomatic missions in Jordan in 2003.
    A Mideast counterterrorism official based in Jordan said the blasts “carry the hallmark of an organized terrorist group, like al-Qaeda.”

14. Eric Dufurrena

Eric Dufurrena The Iron Fist of Fun

Officials say things to placate the masses. I used to be as angry as you, but then I realized, they are just trying to keep order and appear proactive in a chaotic and reactive mess. The masses eat it up, though.

Caneman likes this.
  15. Caneman

Caneman Test all things.

Hmmmm, maybe my primary issue is with the media's misuse of the question. I will have to think about it.

Enkidu likes this.
  16. Enkidu

I found out that my sister was at the 25 mile mark when the explosions went off. My wife's sister's father-in-law (and his wife) were 1/2 mile from the finish (both of them were also safe). However, a friend of my wife is apparently friends with people who knew the 8-year old boy who died.

17. Locutus

Locutus Your fight is futile, my hands are pounding you!

My condolences again. That is hitting a bit too close to home.

18. Enkidu

A lot of my wife's family is from Boston. Her parents met there when they were both in college. My wife went to college there (as did her sister) and she has plenty of friends in Boston or with Boston connections. Every year we spend a little time in Boston on a family vacation, so, yeah, it hits a bit close to home.

19. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

Leaders rarely write the things they say at conferences. They have lots of staff writing down what they say. All speeches are carefully calculated.

I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing, it's just the way the system is set up. Presidents don't have hours to sit down and write the perfect speech.

With regards to what is written in it, they are always written to ensure everyone that the perpetrators will be found, that justice will prevail etc. I don't imagine this kind of response would have been out of place two thousand years ago.

Imagine the abuse he would have got if he didn't try to appease everyone.

I do think asking why is important, particularly within the context with what happened. If this was done by an organisation, then there is a high chance it could happen again.

1 person likes this.
  20. Caneman

Caneman Test all things.

Here is a copy in, from a friend... but I wouldn't change a word in it (as it is exactly how I feel):
    I would expect the official response from The Whitehouse to be a demand for restrictions on the purchase of pressure cookers. (Ie 7 day waiting period before purchase, background check for purchaser and a national registration database of pressure cooker owners.) Sounds silly doesn't it?

My heart goes out to the folks in Boston and Connecticut for the tragedies they have experienced, but "feel good" legislation will do nothing but give folks a false sense of security without addressing the real issues. We need to enforce our existing laws with vigor and not allow judges to set aside guilty verdicts or impose the minimum sentences, thus putting criminals back on the street.

Then, when we are protected from their violence, we can try to understand them...

Sabomnim Dan likes this.
  21. Enkidu

CNN is reporting that an arrest was just made in the bombing.