First Timer

Discussion in 'Mixed Martial Arts' started by Void_Karateka, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Void_Karateka

Void_Karateka Pauper Karateka

Hi folks!

As many of you who've chatted with me on here, I'm an old school taught karateka and I do love my martial arts.

What most of you don't know is I've been itching to branch out into competition.

Long story short (not really online much at the mo, this is a quick stop in so you all know I'm not dead) I'm taking part in my first amateur MMA fight this Friday at the Barnsley Metrodome. I'm fighting at 90kg under amateur a class rules wearing 7oz gloves (standard mma ruleset but with no elbow strikes and no hook kicks but ground and pound is allowed due to glove size is what I've been told). The guy I'm fighting as far as I know has had 4 fights but other than that I haven't been able to find anything out about him whatsoever other than he's from Asylum Vale Tudo gym (England) who look like a good fighting gym with some solid fighters.

I've trained hard and I'm looking forward to the new experience since this is my first time fighting under any sort of rule set. Got some uber butterflies. :D

Any tips for a first timer?

I'll update you all with my experience and a fuller story as and when it's all done.

Wish me luck folks!

3. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja Initiate

Good luck mate :)

4. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

If that 4 fight guy is Matt Parker from AVT he looks fairly durable (read that as he appears to be able to handle some good shots and pressure). From what little I've been able to look at he has a good straight jab and he uses his length well with that. He also has a cross that shoots in fairly straight but cuts almost the same angle that one would typically throw an overhand in, which means if you're staying in front of him it can sneak in through your guard. Good short rhythm head movement (side to side) and lateral movement to not allow him to have a target for that cross will be wise to work on. He also seems to throw a "double-jab" to set up the looping right but he short arms the double jab so you have ample time to roll out away from the right hand (and by default have a good angle of attack if he still commits to the right on "autopilot"). This can also allow you to shoot in for a takedown when you come off his centerline/roll away from his right. His wrestling/counter-wrestling seems weak and I'm not surprised based on the coaching staff they have listed and their brief backgrounds.
    He also seems to have a tendency to drop his right hand down/back and lowers his left/lead hand as a tell when throwing his right/rear leg roundhouse BUT he doesn't keep his chin tucked and right shoulder up. So you should be able to victimize him from either side when he opens his hips up to throw his kick. In spite of their gym having emphasis on Thai training (based on looking at the public schedule) he seems very weak in the clinch and does his best to get back to his ideal punching range. Some dirty boxing/inside fighting may allow you to maul him since his hands are best at a boxer's long range.

Anyway, hopefully from what little I was able to gather was on the right guy. Stay within your own game plan/strengths and don't allow yourself to be drawn into his. For a "new" fighter it's really easy to fall into a more experienced guys rhythm and fight the kind of fight he wants.

DeeD and Void_Karateka like this.
  5. Void_Karateka

RJ you're a legend. I've been really smokescreened finding info on this guy.

Much appreciated man.

RJ Clark likes this.
  6. RJ Clark

No problem(y) I don't know how much his game has evolved/is evolving but the above should be there to greater or lesser extent in particular when he gets tired. Grind him out and by the end of the first into the second round all the bad tendencies he has will be exacerbated by fatigue. They're obviously looking to use you to pad his record and expect you to fold under the pressure of an experienced fighter from a top UK gym. Fight smart and you'll be a setback for him rather than a stepping stone.

He also looks to have a fairly upright fighting stance (and that appears to be the norm at their gym based on training pics) which may allow you to bring out your inner Bas Rutten and throw some good liver/body shots into your combos.

7. Dale

Dale Scholar of the martial arts

Good luck man, you're braver than I. If you can please get someone to film some video, we'd love to see you fight.

8. The Lion

The Lion Ninja Pirate

Good luck mate! The butterflies are a good thing if you didn't have them there would be more reason to worry - just don't let them own you. make a plan, have some tactics and use every iota of will you have to kick ass and win

9. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

good luck dude , very exciting

Rj covered the technical Im gonna go with the mental, Visualise the sequence of events , hands being wrapped, hitting pads, listening to coaches, walking up to the ring/cage etc touching gloves the crowd all of that, you should feel your heart rate elevate and nerves if you are focused enough,if you do then you are doing it right embrace it dont try and get away from it and then focus on controlling these emotions. It takes some practice but I am sure you have visualised sequences in your parkour training before as well. do this as often as you can and when you go through these events for real on the day It will be deja vu and you will already have felt the nerves and seen yourself with your hand raised.

The training is crucial obviously but the mental can make or break you.

(y)

Void_Karateka likes this.
  10. Void_Karateka

Thanks man.

It's all just a big jump ;)

john2054, RJ Clark and DeeD like this.
  11. Void_Karateka

Well it all went down and sadly to my loss.

I'll write a fuller report on the experience when I've got more than 5 minutes to use a computer.

The fight ended with 13 seconds left in the first round to an arm bar. I took some solid shots whilst on the ground and have a couple little bruises to show for it. I think I'll definitely be competing again it was a fun and enjoyable experience.

Massive props to Matt Parker, he punched like a sledgehammer and really knew his game. Not being an MMA fighter I can't really judge him in that respect but he was a true gent and a fantastic sportsman. I think on that alone he'll be going far in the sport. Definitely one to watch out for.

Cheers for rooting for me guys, I'll be keeping you all updated with my future progress :)

Jovan, DeeD and RJ Clark like this.
  12. RJ Clark

Congrats on getting in there! A great thing about competing is the potential to learn about holes in your skill set and work on them (without becoming a possible fatality if you only get to test your skills in the rare self defense situation). I'm looking forward to the play-by-play and assessments of the fight...

DeeD likes this.
  13. Void_Karateka

Ok it's been a while since I could get on jere for any length of time while I've been sat at my computer. So here goes.

Having watched the video of the fight itself it was obvious that I was unprepared and completely outmatched by my opponent in there. I dropped in some good roundhouse kicks to the chaps legs which you could tell he didn't like. It was my main tactic since he had a massive reach and height advantage on me and was maneuvering really well to stop me getting close to him (his tand up punches weren't actually causing me any damage). Looking at it I was very stiff and heavy footed. After what can only be called a complete donkey kick from me I left my side/back exposed. At that point I was rushed into the cage and quickly taken to ground. As I was taken down I tried going for a front strangle but couldn't get the grip so he slipped out of it and quickly managed to mount up. From there on it was a case of trying to take as little punishment to the head as possible and try and get up (or at the very least control at least an arm which I managed for a short while). Anyways nearing the end of the match I was trying to pull his head down and get what little control I could and just left my right arm utterly exposed. In an instant I was dropped into a solid armbar. I tried to wriggle for all of a couple seconds before he yanked it on hard and I had to tap with 13 seconds left in the first round.

That's the play by play.

I'd adopted a very closed a rigid guard that I don't usually fight with primarily to defend rather than attack. In future I will most likely adopt my more natural posture which is still low but my arms are a bit more forward and not covering my head and ribs so closely and also lighter on my feet. With that as well I'll be letting my hands go a bit more. There were a few opportunities I had in there to strike that I was hesitant to take because of my guard.

I came in underweight than I wanted to (I came in at 87.5kg and he was 90kg). Obviously I took the fight on with about a week and couple days to prepare which to be honest was bloody stupid (in all honesty I was only bothered about the money for the fight). At the time I took the fight on I was siting comfortably on 90kg. A sever bout of sickness and diarrhea during that week left me fairly off form and very dehydrated. I shouldn't have gone through with the fight after having that but I'd committed so I wasn't backing out. So in future I'll be ensuring that I'm capable of keeping on weight with minimal bodyfat and making sure I've got at least a 2 month window to prepare.

Skills wise my ground game needs a severe looking at in terms of learning some BJJ skills and generally being more mobile, fluid and adaptable. I need to work on takedown defenses as well coupled with cage awareness.

All that aside I found the whole thing to be not what I expected. I came away not feeling bad about the loss or anything but just a bit hollow about the entire experience. What was strange to me is the build up, during and after the fight. I dunno whether I was just having some off day or whatever but at no point during the entire night did I get any sort of adrenal stress. Not even while I was under heavy attack on the ground did I get that shaky legged, butterfly stomac, flight or fight feeling that I've had out on the street. Is this normal when competing?

It was enjoyable and all but it all felt incredibly impersonal. Still, I'm not put off competing again but I am now very aware of that big fat line between training to compete and training for actual combat. During that fight I could feel myself having to resist certain tactics which in sport are completely illegal. Not being able to drop elbows in, not being able to strike certain places etc. I'm not sure yet whether I can successfully train to both compete and remain true to my Okinawan Tode. Time will tell but if I end up having make a choice I know which I'll be sticking to; my Okinawan Tode Roots ;)

Looking forward to your input and criticism guys!

14. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

Void first of all well done bud, It takes a lot to get into a cage or ring and many people can keyboard criticize from the safety of their study and have never been in that environment so keep that mind if there are criticisms that you might feel are un justified and secondly takes balls to put up the actual fight vid so (y) I have ring fought and corner a few of our guys often so ill add my 2c

The question you asked about nerves, no thats not normal :cautious: most people feel some form of adrenal stimulas especially during their first fight, I watched an interview a while back with GSp and he says he still feels sick and sometimes throws up the night before his fight, Chuck The Iceman Lidell was called the iceman for that Lack of nerves so who knows maybe greatness lies ahead ;)

As for the actual fight, leg kicks are one of my favs so a fan there, I think as you said you were very tight and I am sure would have relaxed coming into the 2nd round, I think a bit more hip rotation on those roundhouse kicks would really dig them in (y)

but good job man

15. RJ Clark

I second the congrats from Deed!
    As for advice: yes you absolutely need to work on your ground game. Wrestling and submission defenses in particular. Staying busy and remember that footwork is every bit as important on the ground as it is standing up. Most of your time on the ground your body was working in halves - either your upper body was working and legs were idle (that was most of the time) or the converse. I truly wish you lived near me as I'd have had your ground game up enough to deal with his easily within two to four weeks.
    Striking: the peekaboo guard you adopted is fine (I use a modified peekaboo myself). You need to use your jab and incorporate head movement/level changing. The jab sets up everything. Head movement can eliminate the reach advantage and actually turn it into a disadvantage. Oh, and set those nice kicks up with your hands!
    What I've posted is advice and NOT a critique. No one has the right to be critical of your fight or your performance other than you and/or your coaches/trainers, and even that is simply to facilitate learning and improving. Great job! (y) I hope you stick with it. Competition can exponentially improve your skill set, in particular mma as it allows you to utilize the most tools.

DeeD likes this.
  16. Eric Dufurrena

Eric Dufurrena The Iron Fist of Fun

Quick grappling tips, at the beginning of the ground fight, right after he slipped through your guillotine attempt, you should have pushed your left arm under his right, come up on your right hip more and shrimp out. A lot of people think they are doing well by holding his arm, but you are just delaying the inevitable, and not as well as you think. If you don't have a good ground game, you should be thrashing about to get up as soon as possible. Bump and roll, bump and roll. As for what got you there in the first place, turning your back and just waiting there was of course your worst mistake. Once someone grabs your back like that, either turn around by trying to hit him in the head with your elbow (if that technique is legal within your rules set) or get your side onto the fence and force your way out, but keep your weight low so as to make him work and also so that you are harder to control.

I felt your striking game was pretty darn solid. You got in some good hooks, your defense was decent too. Sure, there are areas you could improve, but I would start by learning a solid defense for ground game (work A LOT of position maintenance drills) first.

I think it is awesome you chose to push yourself, and test yourself, and are open to advice/criticism. You are doing well!

17. Void_Karateka

Thanks for the excellent feedback guys!

I'll definitely look into upping my ground game, primarily my defensive ground work to start.

Thanks for the analysis of my ground stuff Eric, much appreciated. Never even entered my mind to underhook and try to shrimp out. I'll definitely look into positioning drills and escapes very closely. Unfortunately I couldn't have dropped the elbow strike (no elbow strikes to the head was the rule, though I was told none full stop until about 1 hour before the fight :() when my back was exposed.

RJ, solid advice as I'd expected ;). I hadn't realised that bit about my body working in halves until you mentioned it. Thinking about it I probably wasted a lot of energy that way as well as making things harder for myself. Also I'll be paying more attention to head movement and level changing in future too. Maybe if I'm ever in the states I'll look you up for some training eh?

Cheers for the advice on my hips Deed! I get a lot of stick in the dojo about letting my hips go a bit more. And as for my lack of adrenal response and trying to earn greatness on par with The Iceman.... we'll see in future :LOL:

Much appreciated guys. I'll take these points and what I get from my instructors and we'll see what happens next!

DeeD, Eric Dufurrena and RJ Clark like this.
  18. RJ Clark

Absolutely! My door is always open for anyone who wants to train. Whether that be in my humble basement dojo&gym and/or at the various facilities in my area.

19. Kungfu Fighter

Kungfu Fighter Disciple

My turn next, the MMA audition should be held in either March or April, they have yet to specify exact date. I'll be using authentic Kungfu complete with punches, kicks, blocks, locking/grappling and counter grappling for low/ground to high level fight. I'll post the video whatever the result is. That is still some time to go.

20. Void_Karateka

Nice one mate, good luck! Who/where you fighting?

21. RJ Clark