Flexibility Issue

Discussion in 'Flexibility Training' started by Michael Cooper, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Blade Maker

Blade Maker Master

You can get amazing full body flexibility and strength comes from yoga. The Kasatraya Warriors in India are the fore fathers of eastern martial arts, their yoga was their Kata, and they were horrifying in combat. I am going through my Books and will scan images and post them.

Deborah likes this.
  2. Ben

Ben Master

There are two things that are required. The very first thing is patience. One of my sensais started karate when he was 40 years old and now he holds several titles and has extremely good kick height. The second thing is to just casually stretch out afew times a week. When I first started martial arts, I couldn't even give a simple front kick to my head height. What I did was, I found a fairly high supportive surface. Then I quickly but gently delivered a front kick to it and landed my heel on it. Then using the surface to hold my leg at that height, I would stand in that position for about 5 minutes, leaning forward on my raised leg occasionally. After a few months of doing this every now and then, I was able to front kick and roundhouse kick to my head height, and now I can kick the head of the second tallest person in my class. Hope this helped. Be gentle. It's no use stretching just to tear.

DharkAwakening and Deborah like this.
  3. Deborah

Deborah Ninja

Well said my wee monkey warrior!:p:pXXxxXX

Ben likes this.
  4. ianbradley

ianbradley Initiate

thanks for the tip. i just knew this forum would be a great place for help and inspiration. glad i found you guys :)

Deborah likes this.
  5. Deborah

Deborah Ninja

Ian another good one is with kinetic stretching,,,,,,make sure you are thoroughly warmed up before doing this one..........with your back facing a wall, raise your leg into a side kick movement get a partner to hold onto your leg as it is raised, from there push your leg down ( while partner continues to hold ) do this 5-10 seconds......raise your leg higherand repeat. Repeat drill a few times. I hope I got that across clearly to you Ian my fine friend.....love and respects XXxxXX

6. ianbradley

ianbradley Initiate

thanks deborah, i have been gauging my progress by using my son as a target. i can now kick round about his neck level, and he is 6 feet 2 inches tall. i reckon another couple of weeks and i will be kicking the height of his ears :) thanks again for these tips, they have helped alot.

Deborah likes this.
  7. Deborah

Deborah Ninja

OMG Ian I am soooo very pleased to hear of your successful progress, it has truly made my day!! All love and respects my strerchy friend:DxxXXxx

8. Rig

Rig Initiate

LOL I know exactly what you mean! I've always been a fairly good kicker and have good flexibility but I cannot help when sparring with my eldest son (who is a 2nd dan black belt) testing my kicks but using his head as a target!

mazymake325125 and Deborah like this.
  9. Deborah

Deborah Ninja

Yeehaa Rig!! That must build Character in your son, I looooove it:D!! Respects and peace my martial friend XXxxXX

10. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

I really like this routine Deborah gave you. To tweak it a little I would add leg raises with an ankle weight. Swing the leg up and fight the negative, then repeat. You should see an exponential return on flexibility, control, and range doing both vs doing it just one way or the other.

DharkAwakening and Deborah like this.
  11. Deborah

Deborah Ninja

Hahahahaa, RJ......I was easing our friend into it, weights and other stuff to follow.....respects and smiles my eager martial friend xxxXXxxx

12. ianbradley

ianbradley Initiate

Just to let you know Deborah, after following your hints and tips, I kicked my son in the chin and both sides of his head for the first time yesterday. Made sure he was padded first though, don't want to damage him too much ;) thanks a million for those tips xxx

Deborah likes this.
  13. Deborah

Deborah Ninja

Uuuuuuft I am sooooo very proud of your achievements Ian and I am looooooving the fact that you have noticed a difference.....As soon as you feel ready, let me know and I will fire you some more tips and exercises to try. I KNEW YOU COULD DO IT!!! WOOOOOOOOOHHHHOOOOOOOOO:D!!!! Waaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit a minute your kid isn't a one year-old hahahahaaa....I joke lollol!! Respects and smiles my great flixible friend xxxXXXxxxXXXxxx

14. Gone

Gone Guest

I am not very flexible in the legs, either. And I have no idea what I can do to increase my flexibility and range of motion in my legs so I can do a wide variety of kicks and movements in all directions, various splits, and so on.

What can I do at home to help achieve that goal?

15. Aaron

Aaron Shadow Warrior

this sounds like the right track...

another thing you could do is jump as high as you can in one spot and raising your knees to your chest during the jump... this will also build some leg strength.

16. Gone

Gone Guest

*cough*

17. Scott3963

Scott3963 Initiate

Look into a couple of books from Pavel Tsatsouline - relax into stretch, super joints. There is a couple of things on you tube that he has on there as well. I would also look at stretching your hip flexors as well that is really important for kicks.

18. Dave76

Dave76 Deheuol Gwyn Dragon

Anyone else ever get into PNF strecthing? Proprioceptive Neuromuscular Facilitation. It's a method of alternating contraction and relaxation. For instance with the side splits, you would obtain your lowest stretch and then begin to contract your legs together and hold it for 20 sec, then as your muscles relax, they allow you to take the strecth further. Repeat 3 - 4 times.

Only set back of this method is you require a partner for most stretches.

Warning thou ; this is probaly for the more average to advanced stretcher and definetly not for someone trying to recover from an injury!

19. mazymake325125

mazymake325125 Initiate

you have to try Yoga exercise to get flexible body.