Foreigners fighting in thailand

Discussion in 'Muay Thai' started by DeeD, Mar 17, 2013.

1. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

A buddy of mine is now in thailand he went to go and train at one of the camps in phuket, On the day of his arrivial he was asked if he wanted to fight he said yes and 4 days later had a fight at Bangla stadium, Now Ive travelled around thailand and know how much of Muay thai ends up with the bookies taking bets on "red or blue"

Im just a bit skeptical if the trainers have their new students best interests at heart, ive seen guys get mis matched and get smashed as well

What do you guys think

3. MattCMMA

MattCMMA Master

He agreed to a fight on his arrival...I don't think your friend is looking out for his own interests. Just my opinion.

Enkidu, dmach, Dave76 and 1 other person like this.
  4. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

no definately hes a nutter, Good buddy of mine that Ive trained with for years but he's crazy (y) but they asked him to fight as well as another of my training mates , interesting that these guys would set up fights for people before even evaluating their skill set

5. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

They ask everyone. When I was there, they started asking all the newbies how to fight. They were trying to get people who had never did any training before, to fight within a weeks notice.

I was being trained in the main ring for a fight when I snapped my calf string. They make most of their money through farangs fighting. They get much more for women fighting, so they always harass them to fight.

Many of the fights are fake. A guy at our gym trained non-stop for a month....training 6 hours a day. He went into the ring and hardly touched the guy and he fell like he was roundhoused (this was in patong in Phuket). Clearly, a lot of people had bets on the the thai guy going down in the 1st round.

Dave76 likes this.
  6. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

haha im sure those fights are exciting

7. Eric Dufurrena

Eric Dufurrena The Iron Fist of Fun

Mayhaps they ask you if you want a fight also because a lot of people go to Thailand to fight?

8. Gone

Gone Guest

I'd wait at least a month before doing a real fight. That's just me, though.

dmach likes this.
  9. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

I can assure you, it's all about money. Most people are aware about it. They were asking people to fight who literally had 5 or 6 days training....i.e. with no previous training. These people didn't know how to throw a punch and couldn't kick above their waist, but they were encouraging them to drink. There's a complete disregard to the health of fighters etc. I'm not criticising the Thais for this, it's just their culture.

10. Eric Dufurrena

Eric Dufurrena The Iron Fist of Fun

11. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

yea Muay thai has huge entertainment value in thailand and makes the promoters etc a lot of money relatively, plus a lot of foreigners would even fight if they didnt get paid, I just get worried with a big KO from a medical perspective

Did you ever go into a bar with a ring in it, haha I went to Reggae bar on Ko phi phi and they had a full size ring and offered patrons free drinks to get in and fight each other,

best thing I saw was some pumped up guy with all his buddies walk around trying to challenge me and any other person in the bar, best part was some guy by himself sitting at the bar just chilling saying "no its cool" "no " no" no " and getting harrased by this dude and the thai waiters, He eventually was like "fine" got up climbed in to the ring started warming up the way we do so I knew he had some experience, the antogonist starts bouncing around point fighting style, Lone ranger blocks the attack and smashes this guys leg walks back to his corner as this guy is trying to get up waits for him to stand walks over then does it again, game over, Was really funny seeing this guy whos walking around the bar challenging everyone for probably 15 minutes prior in front of his friends take two kicks and be on the floor,Lone ranger just walks over to his spot and carries on drinking his drink haha again just goes to show dont go looking for trouble u never know what you gonna get

Kevin, Locutus and MattCMMA like this.
  12. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

No. I went to Phi Phi in 2003/4 and 2007. I didn't see any fighting ring there though.

I then went to Thailand for Muay Thai in 2009, but I didn't go to Phi Phi. I heard a lot of other people talking about it though. Mostly drunk people getting in for a laugh.

DeeD likes this.
  13. NativeWarrior

NativeWarrior Enlightened Human Being

I've always dreamed of going to Thailand and training there, but waiting a certain amount of time before I fight there. I might have five years of experience of Muay Thai, but I'm certain that if i took a fight there right here and now, I would most likely get my posterior handed to me with a mount on it. Does Tiger Muay Thai does the same thing too? I've been wanting to train there also.

14. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

Well most of the places give you an option of fighting as soon as u get there after having assessed your skill level, you dont have to fight when u are there and most of the time the foreigners fight foreigners from other clubs

15. Mitchy

Mitchy Initiate

The Thais don't do sparring. Instead they fight. They think of it as the most normal thing to do ....

16. GoldDan

GoldDan Founder of Neo-Bokator, supreme master Dan.

I think that sometimes you just have to say no. They asked him if he wanted to fight, he said yes. Who would be in the wrong here if the guy said yes and got smashed?

Just say no. Problem solved.