Forum Suggestion

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by Nexquietus, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Nexquietus

Nexquietus Disciple

Would it be too much trouble to merge the Escrima forum into "Filipino Martial Arts"? I am early enough into my training that I don't have a "My Kung-Fu Is Best" thing going on, but from looking at other forums there can be. Lump everyone in a FMA group and they get along like family.

Just a suggestion. Thanks.

jim

Deborah likes this.
  2. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

Hey Jim,

That is a good suggestion. I really don't want a 'my art is better than your art' thing to develop here. I would love to see discussions about the strengths and weaknesses of arts without it becoming an 'us vs them' debate. In my opinion, there are some styles that have more style than substance though something positive can be taken from every martial art.

I originally took suggestions for martial arts to be covered via Facebook (from our Martial Arts Videos fanpage) and used it to build a list of styles to be covered. The next few weeks will be a test with regards to the forum rooms. Normally, when I launch a new forum I only add 4 or 5 discussion rooms, as there is no point spreading a few discussions over lots of rooms. I realise that martial arts forums are a little different as many people post about their own style and don't participate in other discussions (which is different from say a tech forum where people who discuss mobile phones would also discuss tablets and laptops etc).

When I was creating the forum rooms I gave some consideration in splitting styles into categories such as Korean Martial Arts, Chinese Martial Arts etc. This works for some styles but for others it doesn't work so well. For example, where would boxing be placed? Would a room for french martial arts be created for Savate? Clearly, that doesn't make sense, though a room for Filipino Martial Arts does as they are frequently taught together. Plus when people refer to Filipino Martial Arts they are normally referring to the weapon arts that originated there, so it still fits in with the way forums are divided here (striking, grappling, hybrid etc).

Correct me if I'm wrong though, but isn't Escrima a general term that is applied to all Filipino martial arts, kind of similar to the way Kung Fu refers to chinese arts?

Also, I really appreciate your suggestion. I know that the current forum setup isn't perfect though it was difficult to try and group things together in the right way, accommodate everyone and make it a good browsing experience etc. With the help of members like yourself making suggestions and giving feedback, I'm sure we will get the setup right :)

Deborah likes this.
  3. Nexquietus

Nexquietus Disciple

If I recall correctly both Arnis and Escrima are Spanish terms, that are in some circles being phased out in favor of the more "Traditional Filipino"term of Kali. I just brought up the Filipino Martial Arts thing because it's not polarizing to anyone, and like you mentioned people familiar with one Filipino art are usually at least passingly familiar with another.
    Another Suggestion would be to add Filipino Martial Arts to the Hybrid Systems area as many of the arts comprise techniques for all situations from weapons to grappling to empty hand. It would be appropriate to leave Escrima where it is because, in general, Escrima teaches stick based fighting (at least as far as I understand).

I must admit it's refreshing to see a forum that accepts user input this readily. Granted it's a new forum, but a good house is built on a good foundation.

jim

Deborah likes this.
  4. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

Thanks Jim. I think it's important to listen to members. It's not always going to be possible to accommodate everyones suggestion but at the very least, if I don't implement a suggestion, I'll do my best to explain my reasoning for why it isn't.

I've added the Filipino Martial Arts discussion room under Hybrid martial arts. We can see how things develop over the next month or so. If everyone was posting in one room and not the other we could merge the rooms. There's a lot of discussion rooms but if we find that no one is posting in certain rooms, we can remove/change them.

Deborah likes this.
  5. Deborah

Deborah Ninja

Wooohooo...I love ya Kev:DxXx

6. Deborah

Deborah Ninja

Thanx sooo much for suggesting Philipino Martial Arts is one of my most favourite Arts. Good call, Nexquietus;)

7. Nexquietus

Nexquietus Disciple

Thanks Kevin. I'll try to make this one of my regular forum stops and keep things moving, with some (Hopefully) useful input.

Thanks for the kind words Deborah. I look forward to sharing my experiences with the Filipino arts with you and everyone else here.

jim

Kevin and Deborah like this.
  8. Deborah

Deborah Ninja

Woohoo, Jim!! I really look forward to your input! xxXX