From HTX

Discussion in 'Fresh Meat (Introduce Yourself)' started by Belal Khan, Nov 23, 2021.

1. Belal Khan

Belal Khan Initiate

Hey folks!

Been looking for ways to get my routine back post-pandemic. Coming at you from space city, aka Houston, TX.

Trained in martial arts most of my life. Majority of my time was in Kyokushin Karate and Muay Thai (and a little but of no-gi grappling) over at Tiger Schulmann's in the 90s and 2000s in NJ. moved to DC was got into Krav Maga in 2010. Then moved to Houston in 2015 and been training in BJJ. Currently a blue belt.

Looking to connect and share with others in the space of martial arts!

3. johnnewman

johnnewman Grasshoppa

It would be fun. Please share your experience about your journey. I always read Blogs about Muay Thai, but it would be interesting to hear from you more about it!!

4. Belal Khan

Belal Khan Initiate

The school that I trained at (Tiger Schulmann's), at the time their curriculum was designed such that a beginner level you were learning kyokushin karate as well as how to apply that self-defense.

Once you're promoted to intermediate then they incorporate sparring as well as Muay Thai techniques. The entire intermediate curriculum was centered around sparring and applying the techniques of both kyo -karate and Muay Thai. This actually came down to your punches and kicks from Karate, elbows knees and low kicks from muay thai.

Then when we were promoted to Advanced, we were incorporating grappling which was a fusion of no-gi Jiu-Jitsu and wrestling. So we would start standing and finish in submission.

today, we'd call this MMA. But, in the 90s, most folks didn't know what that was, thus school marketed itself as a Karate Dojo because of its roots

5. johnnewman

johnnewman Grasshoppa

Thanks Bilal for sharing your Experience. Do you have any website where you share your Blogs?

6. Belal Khan

Belal Khan Initiate

7. johnnewman

johnnewman Grasshoppa

That's Great Belal!!