FULL CONTACT

Discussion in 'Krav Maga' started by JIM, Jun 1, 2012.

1. JIM

JIM Grasshoppa

DO MANY PRACTICE FULL CONTACT WHEN TRAINING WITH HANDS HEAD AND LEGS. ONLY PROTECTION IS GLOVES HELMET AND THE RESPECT OF BOTH YOU AND YOUR PARTNER.

Deborah likes this.
  3. Justin

Justin Initiate

When sparring I push my students to use full contact against me so that...
    1. they get used to actually hitting a person
    2. they better understand their striking range
    3. It builds confidence as they start to see which of their techniques will work and which ones won't in given scenarios
    4. I get free body conditioning! haha
    We usually have gloves and that mutual respect for protection! I also expect my higher ranked students to spar with full contact.

Noel Connolly, Reiser and Deborah like this.
  4. Deborah

Deborah Ninja

Hiya Jim! I myself practice full contact training....Also a real treat and favourite of mine is full contact stick sparring, using Philipino Kali....and yes my friend it is also VITAL to wear some sort of crash helmet when stick sparring with full contact!:eek:xXx

Noel Connolly likes this.
  5. Deborah

Deborah Ninja

Hooray, Justin!! A man after my own heart, I wholeheartedly agree with you my learned friend!

6. Justin

Justin Initiate

Haha thanks Deborah. I think the biggest challenge with full contact sparring (armed or unarmed) is in getting students to understand that full contact sparring actually requires more control than no contact/touch contact sparring

Deborah likes this.
  7. grizz tough

grizz tough Initiate

I had been involved in many other styles, and when I joined Krav Maga it started from alomost day one to work technique or get hit. From the start, of course there was a measure of controlo and safety, but it really makes you understand if what you do works or not and why. Just slugging it out, no, but controlled sparring or full contact application and ramping it up until you fail, then learn and go again, yeah, I found it made me 100% better! It also removes fear from the equation.

Deborah likes this.
  8. Deborah

Deborah Ninja

Hey Justin:p!! Glad to see you back my friend. Control is a vital part of full contact sparring.......Which many of us forget, some times!!It is all too easy to hurt someone, but it takes a true Martial Artist to fight with control and respect not to injure your training partner!After all, my fine friend......you have got to have training partners to practice with and there is no point of injury, then you will have nobody left to train with:eek:!!Respect and love sent to you on this fine Saturday afternoon!

9. Deborah

Deborah Ninja

Welcome, Grizz Tough to the Forum, thanx for your much appreciated input on this matter! I personally believe in not throwing out your strikes, without making contact. In my opinion tou HAVE to make each hit count otherwise it is wasted energy!! And to touch on your other comment....As the great Bruce Lee once taught, " How can one begin to understand the nature of the hit if he has never before encountered it himself! "Cheerz for your excellent input!;)

10. MadoreGojuRyu

MadoreGojuRyu Master

we fight only using hands, feet, groin cups and head gear for lower ranks. advanced ranks can opt out on the head gear but the advanced belt ranks also fight full contact, just no knees, elbows and no kicks to the knee or back. other than that its full face contact and groin kicks/punches, take downs, sweeps, ribs are fair game also.....but karate of course begins with respect and ends with respect, if we see someone getting irritated or upset they are either told to take a break or asked to leave and come back the next day. sparring/fighting I believe is a very important part of martial arts training, otherwise you dont learn distancing, timing and simply gaining faith in your own abilities.

Noel Connolly and Deborah like this.
  11. Deborah

Deborah Ninja

Respect should be the start and end of every martial art, wouldn't you aggree Madore? xXx

Noel Connolly likes this.
  12. MadoreGojuRyu

MadoreGojuRyu Master

but of course, we just have those words in our code of conduct....so just quoting from that

Noel Connolly and Deborah like this.
  13. Deborah

Deborah Ninja

:DXxX

14. Deborah

Deborah Ninja

I bid you goodnight, my friend...my bed is calling! Thanx for the chats we have had today you have been most informative and open.I look forward to our next discussion real soon MadoreGojuRyu......but for now please accept my thanx,respect and humble appreciation xxXXxx:D

15. Ben

Ben Master

I rarely practice full contact sparring, I usually save that for the punching bag at home. At training, we wear our protective gear, gloves, insteps, foot guards, and at tournaments we wear groin and mouth guards as well. As home, I just let my bag have it so I can get used to full contact situations should I need to use them, and I can strengthen my fists in a manner similar to traditional Gung Fu artists.

Deborah likes this.
  16. Deborah

Deborah Ninja

Hiya Ben, great to hear from you!!! Sometimes in weapon training you have to experience it ' live' to really experience it fully.....The thought of this take me back to stick fighting when I first started....I was swishing a stick about when my Guro stared at me sternly and told me to hit a tyre he had set up, as I hit it with full force hoping maybe hoping to impress!...The stick reverbed off of the tyre and onto my face, busting my eye wide, leaving a nice scar to this day. I remember hearing the voice of my Guro in my head saying to ALWAYS repect the weapon and be aware of what the weapon and you are capable of!!xxXxx

Aaron and Ben like this.
  17. Ben

Ben Master

Hopefully it never comes to that situation. I've done NO weapons training, save for the freestyling I do in my backyard. But I think if it came to close combat (like me unarmed against a guy with a knife) i could defend myself.

Deborah likes this.
  18. Deborah

Deborah Ninja

Hey again Ben:), even rolled up newspapers can be advatageous in weapon training....May I suggest looking into trying out some weapon defence where you live I guarantee you will find it most advantagous!! peace and respectm my friend xXx

Ben likes this.
  19. Ben

Ben Master

I will try but how do I try it out? I'm the only martial artist in my family and my dojo has shown no signs of touching weapons. Which I think keeps in the true nature of Shotokan Karate. Gichin Funakoshi often said that the aim of Karate was to defend oneself without the use of weapons, but there are so many photos of him using weapons in his dojo with his students, mainly a bo staff and sai. But yeah, how would I go about trying out some weapon defence under these circumstances? Do you think I should suggest it to my sensais?

Deborah likes this.
  20. Deborah

Deborah Ninja

I think that is an excellent idea my friend. If they have pics up using staffs etc they most likely will to start weapon training with their students. You can only ask....however you get on asking your Sensais,whatever their reply there is nothing to stop you trying another Gym. If that fails I'm sure there are some links I can post you....Good luck my friend;)oh and you could even practice with family members if you become stuckxxx

Ben likes this.
  21. Ben

Ben Master

Lol like I said, my family aren't interested in Martial Arts. My mum has arthritis in one knee, my sister has inflamed muscles in one arm which causes her great pain and my father isn't very good for training with :p I've tried. I think the links would be handy. The only weapons thing I've done is download videos for all the seitai katas in Iaido.

Deborah likes this.