FULL CONTACT

Discussion in 'Krav Maga' started by JIM, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Deborah

Deborah Ninja

hold on.........

Calm Barbarian likes this.
  2. Deborah

Deborah Ninja

my bloody computer is playing up:mad: ....can I get back to you on the links tomorrow hunni?I won' forget xxxx

Calm Barbarian likes this.
  3. Ben

Ben Master

No worries Deb :) see you round

Deborah likes this.
  4. Aaron

Aaron Shadow Warrior

Ben,
    If you have an interest in weapons pick an area an work within that are; I suggest this self-defense vs tradition. Traditional in I wan to learn; sai, kama, katana, ect... Or pick self-defense hanbo jutsu, cane, arnis/kali (stick and knife), asp.

In my opinion start with what will be the most useful to you; I find most people pick stick & knife.

I the end if your current instructor isn't willing to train you in weapons, it may be time to look elsewhere. Weapons training should be an important aspect of any martial art currently, knives, guns, and make shift weapons are just too accessable now a days.

Deborah likes this.
  5. Calm Barbarian

Calm Barbarian Samurai

As higher grades at our dojo we train with little protection on unpadded flooring. In training pads are treated as filling the mind with false confidence. High amount of respect is shown to your opponent. How can you train properly if you're not afraid to get hit!? I train bare knuckle on my bag at home, yes it can hurt but I know I'm hitting right and how strong I am hitting.

Deborah likes this.
  6. JIM

JIM Grasshoppa

Well said.

Deborah likes this.
  7. Deborah

Deborah Ninja

HELL YEAH, adam I love your thinking, my friend!!!:DxxXXxx

8. Calm Barbarian

Calm Barbarian Samurai

Cry in the dojo. Cheer in the battle.

Deborah likes this.
  9. Ajay

Ajay Initiate

Ben, you should seriously think about some sort of weapons defence training. In my experience, having worked the doors for a few years, no matter how good you are , if you are faced with an armed opponent (ie a knife) then there is a 90% (according to figures I have seen) chance you are gointo get cut. Question is, can you still perform when you see the red stuff flowing and your brain tells you there is an injury and starts to close down the injured part. Then you see the weapon, this may be a short blade or some sort of long bladed weapon (ie a samurai sword) How do you cope with the situation? Can you still perform your well rehearsed techniques? I would say with the adrenalin dump factor, and the realisation that you have been cut, probably not. However, all is not gloom & doom, you might look to Krav Maga as a rough, effective guide to weapons self defence. The Israelis have been fighting wars for years and live under constant threat of elimination so I would say that their self defence techniques would have to have at least some basis on reality and Krav Maga is taught these days to all the major security organisations so it must have something going for it. But all that aside, remember one thing my friend, it's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog!!

SifuPhil, Deborah, JIM and 1 other person like this.
  10. Calm Barbarian

Calm Barbarian Samurai

Scary.

Deborah likes this.
  11. JIM

JIM Grasshoppa

Krav Maga i love it. I train alot in weapon defense. Shock Knife try and train with your partner holding a training knife with an electric charge running through it. It makes your skills very sharpe.

Deborah likes this.
  12. Calm Barbarian

Calm Barbarian Samurai

Bloody hell. Are you training to fight Wolverine! Only messing. In our training we really do not do a lot of weapon defence. In one of my threads - Sayings - I mentioned that I believed some people hide behind old eastern quotes from post war masters, instead of listening to modern society's, better educated and well versed people. Does Krav Maga have a Funakoshi?

Deborah likes this.
  13. JIM

JIM Grasshoppa

Development of Krav Maga
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The master Imi Lichtenfeld (on left)
    In the late 1930s, anti-Semitic riots threatened the Jewish population of Bratislava. Together with other Jewish boxers and wrestlers, Lichtenfeld helped to defend his Jewish neighborhood against racist gangs.[3] He quickly realized that sport has little in common with real combat and began developing a system of techniques for practical self-defense in life threatening situations.[8][9]
    In 1935, Lichtenfeld visited Palestine with a team of Jewish wrestlers to participate in the Maccabi games but could not participate because of a broken rib that resulted from his training while on route. This led to the fundamental Krav Maga precept, 'do not get hurt' while training. Lichtenfeld returned to Czechoslovakia to face increasing anti-Semitic violence. Lichtenfeld organized a group of young Jews to protect his community. On the streets, he acquired hard won experience and the crucial understanding of the differences between sport fighting and street fighting. He developed his fundamental self-defense principle: 'use natural movements and reactions' for defense, combined with an immediate and decisive counterattack. From this evolved the refined theory of 'simultaneous defense and attack' while 'never occupying two hands in the same defensive movement.'[10][11][12]
    In 1940, Lichtenfeld fled the Nazi occupation of his homeland, heading for Palestine on the Aliyah Bet vessel, Pencho, which shipwrecked on the Greek Dodecanese Islands. He arrived in Palestine in 1942 after serving with great notoriety in the Czech Legion. The Haganah's leaders immediately recognized Lichtenfeld's fighting prowess and ingenuity. In 1944 Imi[13] began training fighters in his areas of expertise: physical fitness, swimming, wrestling, use of the knife, and defenses against knife attacks. During this period, Imi trained several elite units of the Hagana and Palmach (striking force of the Hagana and forerunner of the special units of the IDF), including the Pal-yam, as well as groups of police officers. In 1948, when the Israel was founded and the IDF was formed, Imi became Chief Instructor for Physical Fitness and Krav Maga at the IDF School of Combat Fitness. He served in the IDF for about 20 years, during which time he developed and refined his unique method for self-defense and hand-to-hand combat After he finished his active duty, Imi began adapting and modifying Krav Maga to civilian needs.
    The method was formulated to suit everyone – man and woman, boy or girl, who might need it to save his or her life or survive an attack while sustaining minimal harm, whatever the background of the attack – criminal, nationalistic, or other. To disseminate his method, Imi established two training centers, one in Tel Aviv and the other in Netanya.
    [edit] Later life

In 1964, Lichtenfeld retired from the Israeli military.[7] He then modified Krav Maga to fit the needs of police forces and ordinary civilians. He trained teams of Krav Maga instructors, who were accredited by him and the Israeli Ministry of Education.[3] He also created the Israeli Krav Maga Association in 1978.[6] On January 9, 1998, Lichtenfeld died in Netanya, Israel, at the age of 87.[

Calm Barbarian and Deborah like this.
  14. Aaron

Aaron Shadow Warrior

I wish we could get these up here in canada, unfortuanetly they won't let civilians purchase them.

15. Deborah

Deborah Ninja

Ooooft, Adam!! I love the quote!:DxxXxx

16. Deborah

Deborah Ninja

I totally agree Ajay, I`m like a wee pitbull! Hahaha;)
    xx respect my friend XxX

JIM likes this.
  17. Deborah

Deborah Ninja

OMG Jim...maybe not wolverine, as our Calm Barbarian said, is it The Hulk??? Wowzers never tried that before.....maybe I should try a couple of cattle prods!!EVERY respect for that one my friend XxXxX

JIM likes this.
  18. Deborah

Deborah Ninja

Hahahaaa xXxXx

19. SifuPhil

SifuPhil Lucky Cat Is Lucky

Hi Jim!

Over the years I've learned to be very careful about martial art histories, especially when they're presented on the 'Net. They tend to amplify, misdirect and sometimes outright lie about everything from origins to political in-fighting.

Some stories I've heard - one set from Grandmaster Yaron Lichtenstein, one of Imi's original students - would seem to contradict Wikipedia's entry. I've been told such gems as the term "Krav Maga" was not invented until 1971; Imi retired from the military in 1966, so it's impossible that he was "Chief Instructor for Physical Fitness and Krav Maga".

Another point in contention: Imi originally had high kicks and jump-kicks in his curriculum, in keeping with his wish to create a "true" martial art. It was meant to take time to master. Nowadays many Krav Maga instructors have dropped the fancy techniques in favor of a "fast and deadly" approach, but the original techniques are never mentioned. Imi also originally taught to keep the hands down in the ready stance, in order to lure the opponent in - this has been changed in most schools to the classic hands-up position.

I'm not trying to take away from Krav Maga - I think it's a wonderful style. But I also think it's important to try to determine the true roots of that style, if only for the sake of personal satisfaction.

Deborah likes this.
  20. JIM

JIM Grasshoppa

Hi SifuPhil,

In the IKMF curriculum high and jump-kicks are part of it. I train alot with my legs for kicks low high front low- side high- side.Also jump kicks and we do keep our hands to the side for many attacks. Alot of my first attack is with a kick to the groin our a stop kick to the chest. Going back to the hands by the side is pratice alot to help improve my skills if attack suddenly.

cheers Jim and a very good reply thanks.

Deborah likes this.