"Gentlemen's" Submission Grappling Match

Discussion in 'Grappling Martial Arts' started by RJ Clark, Jun 18, 2013.

1. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

I agree completely, I will take a look at Masahiko sounds interesting thanks, I was seperating it because of the comment Matt made about wrestlers as seen below, So was referring to it from that perspective,A pure wrestler in a real life situation
    I was asking Rj because I know he wrestles as part of his training, I have 2 aspects to my training that Merge very well striking from a fighting perspective in Muay thai and then the self defence aspect in teuk gong moo sool, which utilizes hapkido,judo elements as well , its more about disabling an opponent and generally breaking something , we dont have wrestling as a sport here besides the mma guys and I generally dont have an issue with being taken down as my striking normally gives guys pause to shoot bearing in mind we dont have division 1 wrestlers etc, so thats why I was trying to see from an isolated wrestling perspective,(y)

MattCMMA likes this.
  2. Anybody

Anybody Initiate

I think this is a rules of the game issue. Neither style gets to use all of their techniques in competition. If I look at the UFC now objectively, I don't see either strikers or grapplers dominating.

3. MattCMMA

MattCMMA Master

In the UFC heavyweight and light heavyweight divisions, strikers dominate

4. Dave76

Dave76 Deheuol Gwyn Dragon

And yet both champs are very good wrestlers........just sayin:whistle:

5. MattCMMA

MattCMMA Master

Well the current champ Cain Velasquez is a fantastic wrestler.. though 10 out of his 12 wins are by KO. Junior Dos Santos's wrestling is decent, though he's known for his fantastic boxing. 12 of his 16 wins are by KO, he also won his last fight with a kick, surprisingly. 57% of all heavyweight fights end by KO..... just sayin (y)

6. daniel Mccullough

daniel Mccullough Advanced beginner

I've rolled and sparred with people who were gay and never found a problem. They're just other practitioners that happen to be gay.

RJ Clark likes this.
  7. Aaron

Aaron Shadow Warrior

Work clothes as the majority of us probably work somewhere between 30-60 hours a week. Plus train in what you wear when you go out with friends.

RJ Clark likes this.
  8. Sneaker

Sneaker Warrior Monk

imagine 2 mma guys with full of Vaseline/KY Jelly on entire human being ... grabbling will be void easily ...
    ... so stand up & strike and end the fight !

9. Bad Karma

Bad Karma Warrior Monk

Something with velcro. Oh yeah, don't forget the elephant thong :facepalm:

SifuPhil and Sneaker like this.
  10. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

Spot on! I should start a thread with a poll to see just how small the percentage is of people who at least occasionally train in "street" clothes, then how much smaller the percentage is for those who train self-defense scenarios outside the sterile dojo environment...

Sneaker and Aaron like this.
  11. Aaron

Aaron Shadow Warrior

On a side note; if you wear a suit to work... I personally wouldn't train in one.

Sneaker likes this.
  12. Sneaker

Sneaker Warrior Monk

except if you are Bill Gate's son or Dubai's family son

Possible the newest "Transporter" guy

13. Battodoka07

Battodoka07 Warrior Monk

I've done firearms training in a suit before. Also out in the desert. Practicing with rifles and draws from an IWB holster. Definitely had to take it to the dry cleaners the next day. Did some training and a demo awhile back in a suit, albeit a much older one that I was going to get rid of.

Aaron and RJ Clark like this.
  14. Jovan

Jovan Disciple

You still can grapple while full of vaseline or oil, there is even a Turkish traditional martial art where they wrestle in oil.

SifuPhil and Sneaker like this.
  15. Sneaker

Sneaker Warrior Monk

Kinda weak and tiring ... and grabbing men's pant, possible Johnson ... ewwww.

16. Jovan

Jovan Disciple

Well yeah it isn't really nice to see but it could be usefull to train your grip for grappling, without the pants grabbing thing..