Getting back into shape... need some advice.

Discussion in 'Healthy Eating & Nutrition' started by Aaron, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Aaron

Aaron Shadow Warrior

I am going to be starting a diet & fitness program hopefully after next weekend, my wedding is next weekend and I was hoping to start it after this stressful event is over.

Anyways I was wondering if anyone had any decent advice on getting back into shape... over the last couple of years I have put on about 10lbs of extra weight that I would like to burn off. I was looking at doing both cardio and some weight lifting, really need to work on getting rid of the small keg and getting back, or close to, a six pack. Also wouldn't mind gaining some muscle mass.

Looking for exercise and possible nutrition ideas.

Deborah likes this.
  3. Enkidu

Enkidu Destroyer of your martial arts fantasies

I could type something at length, but the easiest thing to tell you to do weight training-wise is to search "Mark Rippetoe Starting Strength" into a search engine and read that program and follow it to a "T".

In addition to that, I would try to walk every day for at least 30 minutes and preferably an hour.

As far as dieting goes, nothing drastic, but start cutting out all processed foods from your diet. Make sure to eat plenty of animal proteins, and fresh vegetables and fruit, nuts, seeds, legumes. Avoid all calories that come in fluid form. Drink tons of ice water.

Honestly, that is about all you need for the first 3-6 months.

Congrats on getting married, BTW.

Aaron likes this.
  4. dmach

dmach Martial Archivest

That pretty much says it all. One good thing to add is to go through ALL your Kata, from beginner to the latest one you know, good cardio and general strength, flexibility.

And I'd like to add my Congratz for your marriage as well!:D

Aaron likes this.
  5. Eric M. Miller

Eric M. Miller Samurai

you want cardio. nothing but hillsprints my friend. for maybe a total of 5 min straight. would be a nice ender to enkidu's routine.

Aaron likes this.
  6. Aaron

Aaron Shadow Warrior

Thanks guys.

I was looking into doing something like P90X(i have a copy of it somewhere on file) or Insanity, or the 300 program...

I would really like to focus on my cardio as I know that is my weakest area right now.

Enkidu I haven't read that one yet... I used to do alot of weight lifting in high school. Now that we have some free weights down at the dojo I figured I might as well get in some strength training as well.

7. Aaron

Aaron Shadow Warrior

I can do one better than the hill sprints, we have a set of stairs that goes straight up one of the hills here in our city. The local kickboxers and mma guys use it all the time, usually 3 to 5 sets of it, works out to about 1 to 2 miles of straight stairs. Plus its on the southwest face of the hill, so it should provide good heat to get the body temp up.

Not only that I drive right by it on the way to and from the dojo, where I will be doing the bulk of my cardio and strength training.:)

Eric M. Miller likes this.
  8. KeithW

KeithW "Just keep training..."

I'm not a qualified expert on the topic, but I've written at length about it based on my own personal journey. I don't write on this blog any more, but the info is still there for you to peruse at your leisure. Scroll down and you'll see a bunch of the fitness and diet related topics in the margins.

Congrats on the marriage. As an 18-year veteran of the institution of marriage, I fully endorse it. :)

dmach and Aaron like this.
  9. Enkidu

The starting strength program is a basic and brutal program that looks a lot easier on paper than it actually is. It won't be that hard for perhaps the first month or so, but it will get there fast, and when it does, you'll know what I am talking about, so be conservative on your starting weights... really conservative. This is a program either meant for beginners or people who have taken some time off from training seriously.

It is really just a variation of Bill Starr's programs (which makes sense since Rippetoe was coached by Starr) just as Starr's programs are variations of programs that go all the way back to Berry in the 1930s. Don't let the simplicity fool you though. Don't start adding exercises or doing extra sets or monkey around and change things. The program works on linear progression and the repeated effort method.

It is a simple, but well designed program. It is as good as any off the shelf program out there, and better than 95% of them. Obviously in an ideal world you would have a program designed specifically for you, but failing that, you should go with one that basically has an 80+ year track record of proven success. I am not going to bag on p90x and the insanity workout... I am sure they work for what they are, but they won't hold a candle to the results you will get from Starting Strength and a moderate cardio program along with eating healthier.

Aaron likes this.
  10. Aaron

Aaron Shadow Warrior

Thank you guys for all of the great info.:)

11. Aaron Hutto

Aaron Hutto Master

12. Enkidu

While I like Poliquin, a lot of his stuff is not well-geared for people who are new to training or who are getting back into it after a long lay-off.

Also, when it comes to training athletes, at least, Poliquin sorta has the reputation for making guys bigger and stronger, but making them slow.

Aaron likes this.
  13. Aaron

Aaron Shadow Warrior

Its not that im new too working out; used to help train guys for amatuer mma matches, i just havent done any serious training in about 6 years when it comes to cardio and strength training.

I definetly dont want to bulk up too much, maybe a few more pounds of muscle mass, more just loosing this damn mini keg and getting a six pack back. I still want to be flexible so ill probably focus more on cardio with some of the strength training that Enkidu posted about.

This is going to hurt... but in a good way :)

14. Deborah

Deborah Ninja

Well Aaron congratulations on you up and coming wedding, I suggest you give an exercise bike a go. If you go at it for 40 mins you burn up 700 calories, It helped me get the weight off after being immobile for months. It took me just four weeks to lose a stone. Granted sore legs, thighs you could crack nuts with but happy with the weight-loss......respects, love and good luck my martial friend xxxxXXxxxxx

15. Aaron

Aaron Shadow Warrior

I hate exercise bikes, don't like treadmills much either, nothing worse than sitting in one spot looking out a windows or wall... I'll stick to the running the stairs of one of the hills here, if it stays as hot as it is right now i'll probably burn at least twice that in an hour of jogging/running; it's 30+degC right now and it's 10pm:confused:, not to mention I have a massive set of stairs to climb that are set into the side of a hill, plus it's supposed to be this hot most of the summer here.

Just have to get through the next 5 days than I can start...

16. Deborah

Deborah Ninja

Meditate, Aaron while on the exercise bike that's what I do.....love, peace and respects xxxxXXxxxx

17. Ben

Ben Master

Jesus can we have a photo of this staircase!?

18. Aaron

Aaron Shadow Warrior

Will post photo later today:)