....getting worried about my black belt grading

Discussion in 'Fresh Meat (Introduce Yourself)' started by Una Mulligan-Quenby, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Hi there all,

My name is Una, I started karate about 1991. I did my first three gradings over 18 months. Due to a relationship break up with own of the senior students ...decide to leave the dojo. Several years later, illness and three children later. 2011 I decide to bring my Autistic son to a class an he asked me to joined him. Now, I am an overweight mum, I am about to do my brown and double white and next year my black belt.

Has anyone else start karate or another martial art later in life?

I am have doubts and made a stupid mistake tonight because my mind is starting to doubt my ability.

Thanks for listening :)

Vldz likes this.
  3. Judah

Judah fights in tights

I didn't train full time for about 4 years, and the training I did was by myself, then started again with a different martial art, admittedly still a striking system so not that different, but my fitness was abysmal and I was very overweight. Now I'm about to compete at the world championships. Don't worry about it, enjoy your training and be confident in the skills you have. The fact that you've trained previously and are now within sight of your black belt grading means you're on the right track.

4. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

There will be times in your life when you can train with/under someone in martial arts and there are times when life gets in the way of that consistent, disciplined training. Martial arts are a lifetime endeavor so it's never too late to get back into the mix. Just remember now that you're a bit older and had/have health issues that you need to work smarter rather than harder. Listen to your body and be wise enough not to push yourself to the point of injury. As an added bonus, it's terrific that you can go to class with your son. There are a wealth of studies that all indicate martial arts are beneficial to children with autism.

As for your "stupid mistake", don't dwell on it and don't doubt yourself. If we were all perfect then there'd be no reason to train at all. Good luck and congrats on making the choice to continue further on your martial path! (y)

Dutch, Anybody, dmach and 1 other person like this.
  5. JesterX

JesterX Disciple

Hello Una,
    My story is similar to yours. I have trained off and on since I was a teenager but then I had a falling out with an instructor and then couldn't find a school; etc, etc. To make a long story short my last hiatus, and longest, turned out to be 10 - 15 years.

So now here I am at 50, back in training for about 3 years, I've lost a little over 20 pounds (about 10 kg). The Doc. has taken me off the high blood pressure med I was on. I am more alert, I do better at work and I sleep better at night. Of course I am constantly nursing a pulled this or a bruised that and it takes a little longer for them to heal, but I can honestly say this is the best I've felt in say, 10 - 15 years.

Dutch and Locutus like this.
  6. Mr.Bond

Mr.Bond Big Ass Dog

Go for it, don't worry about the belt or rank...just do it, and if you DO it, the belt will come....

I am 52 and no longer care about belts, I just care about doing something consistent that will keep me in better shape than if I don't. Simplify your goals and your mind!

Dutch likes this.
  7. thank you all for your lovely and long replies...hand still hurts like hell off to teach swimming now...my full time job...

Happy training all xxx

8. Eric Dufurrena

Eric Dufurrena The Iron Fist of Fun

Don't compare yourself to others, just do the best you can and improve! The only person you have to be better than is the person you were yesterday!

arron butler likes this.
  9. Love that quote Eric

thanks for all your replies...feeling more positive now the swelling gone down

;)

10. Vldz

Vldz Warrior Monk

I started Karate just shy of 3 years ago. I started at 25 years (pretty old if you ask me).

Never try to impress or "get" the black belt. Just do it and express yourself in the most honest way possible.

Black belt should come naturally to you.

Eric Dufurrena likes this.
  11. Anybody

Anybody Initiate

Similar story to you. Came back to martial arts after a very long hiatus from formal training. Started with my son, which got me back into it. I find it even more rewarding now. It gives me a shared experience with my child and something to connect about. I also enjoy that he thinks I am kind of cool now because I am a black belt which he is now trying to work towards. Best of luck to you.

12. Dutch

Dutch Initiate

These people are so right,anytime,anyplace

13. arron butler

arron butler Fist of Fury

hello Una. Just do the best you can, And you will get there.

14. chinto

chinto Grasshoppa

much older then you by the sound of it. I think you will do fine! just work hard and do not sweat the tests. when they happen they happen.

15. Alice Okasan

Alice Okasan Disciple

I just started four years ago, and just tested for Shodan this past weekend. Since I'm just a couple months shy of 40, I'd say I got started later in life. The benefits of training with children have been huge! (My17 year-old son received his Shodan the same day) We have a mutual respect that would have been very difficult to foster outside the dojo. Besides we can always duke our frustrations out on the mat.

I do sometimes feel incredibly old. The average age in my class is defintely well under 25. But how many 40 year olds start something new? And...I think my age brings a level of maturity and seriousness to my training that is often lacking in younger students.

16. Ivor Godley

Ivor Godley grasshopper

Una, my instructor had a 72 year old start training TKD!!! if we all waited for the perfect time / level of fitness before starting any martial art we would all still be waiting! so dont worry about it, you've done it before so know what youre doing. just listen to your body and dont over do it - you'll be fine!!

17. Hi,
    I started my training at 37. I'm 46 now and about to open my own branch school in our system, so keep training and reaching your goals! Martial arts true purpose is a path to enlightenment, in Korean the character Nam, for enlightenment translates out to be "a return home", so we really are finding ourselves. Keep training!

Alice Okasan likes this.
  18. Master Fahy

Master Fahy Samurai

Una, You should not be worrying about black belt grading....take it one belt at a time. Think about your next belt level and accomplish it first before think about any others. I've had many of senior age students (men and women) who started around 60-65 years of age and received their black belts in about 4-5 years of training. Confidence is as important as physical skills! Keep training and gain the confidence needed to succeed! Master Fahy

19. Aaron

Aaron Shadow Warrior

Just remember that shodan just means that you full understanding of the basics of your art. Everything is built of the basic core, focus on that and you should be fine.