Gladiators. From Spartacus to Spitfires: A Book Review.

Discussion in 'Articles' started by dmach, Jan 1, 2013.

1. dmach

dmach Martial Archivest

I'd like to start by saying "Happy New Year" to you all and I hope that 2013 brings you happiness and contentment. :)

On Christmas day, my wife gifted me with this book and after I and not long after I started reading it I felt the need to share this with you all. The Book, written by Ben Hubbard is entitled Gladiators. From Spartacus to Spitfires. One-on-One Combat through the ages. It deals with how the concept of one-on-one combat has evolved over the centuries and in particular how the attitudes of society has changed from State sanctioned slaughter in the Roman Colosseum to how combative sports survive to the present day despite calls to have them banned all together.

[​IMG]
    The Book, rather than being divided into traditional chapters (1,2... 10 etc) is divided into sections that look at the genesis of one-on-one combat, how each are related and how changing rules and ideals of society have contributed to how combat is received today.​
    The sections are...​
    1. Gladiators
    2. Samurai
    3. Medieval Tournaments
    4. Duelling
    5. Boxing
    6. Gunmen &
    7. Fighter Pilots
    But before I cover these sections in subsequent threads, I need to share this particular passage from the Introduction...​
    "Soon great bouts of one-on-one combat between Gods and Monsters crept into mythology. Gilgamesh was the Mesopotamian king of the city of Uruk, but his oppressive rule angered the Gods. To punish him the created... ENKIDU - a primitive man covered with hair - to kill him and a terrible battle ensued. In the streets they attacked each other, the door posts trembled and the walls shook.
    Gladiators, Ben Hubbard, 2011, p 10.​
    It was at this point I looked up from the book with a big grin on my face and my wife giving me this strange look.​
    Well hopefully I got you interested.... Stay tuned for further threads.​

2. Void_Karateka

Void_Karateka Pauper Karateka

I believe this entire post is a way of saying Enkidu needs a shave....

Definitely gonna have to look this up though, sounds ace.

MattCMMA likes this.
  3. Dave76

Dave76 Deheuol Gwyn Dragon

imagesCAU341PW.jpg
    Ancient artifacts found in Turkey reveal the truth about the origins of the 'tug toner'

[​IMG]

Fast foreward 5000 years and now he even has his own action figure.

From all countries and all recorded history, he walks thru time like some primal tug toning demi-god destroying peoples martial fantasies.............

Who is this man?...............:cautious: Really?:cautious:

RJ Clark, SifuPhil, Enkidu and 2 others like this.
  4. Dave76

Dave76 Deheuol Gwyn Dragon

Sounds good dmach.
    You could be putting yourself out there with research (home work) for the group thou ;)

Charlay Atkins and dmach like this.
  5. dmach

dmach Martial Archivest

Strangely enough, I would enjoy that!

Charlay Atkins likes this.
  6. Enkidu

Enkidu Destroyer of your martial arts fantasies

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Great find!

7. SifuPhil

SifuPhil Lucky Cat Is Lucky

Joey, do you like movies about gladiators? :ROFLMAO:

That actually sounds like an awesome book - I'll be waiting for further reviews too!

RJ Clark and Enkidu like this.
  8. Enkidu

Enkidu Destroyer of your martial arts fantasies

You know when Scraps rubs up and down against your leg?

RJ Clark likes this.
  9. Mr.Bond

Mr.Bond Big Ass Dog

RJ Clark and Enkidu like this.
  10. lmao!!!!!!

11. and have you ever seen a grown man naked?