goju ryu karate kata ?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by michael mckenna, Dec 16, 2013.

1. michael mckenna

michael mckenna Grasshoppa

why does goju only have 12 kata while others have more then this ? for example shotokan has 26. is it because its the first kata's ?. ive recently been really interested in goju ryu although im not sure about taking it up as im still doing GTF tae kwon do. i like karate alot for a taekwondo practitioner

MadoreGojuRyu likes this.
  3. KeithW

KeithW "Just keep training..."

My style, Isshinryu, has only 8 empty-hand kata. We get a pretty good breadth and depth of applications from just those 8 kata. We add a 9th empty-hand kata at shodan level, but that is just our dojo and our Sensei's kata.

I have often wondered about styles that have large numbers of kata - how necessary are they? How much redundancy occurs? How much must a student learn between gradings and how much must they perform during a grading?

I'm not saying there's anything wrong there. I'm just wondering about the necessity of having so many different kata.

4. michael mckenna

i have wondered that too

5. Kuyaken

Kuyaken Karate for the streets not just for trophies

To'on Ryu only have 5 kata to call on. I actually think LESS is better when it comes to Kata, I personally do not know how Shukokai/Shito Ryu Practitioners can practice ALL 42+ Kata (not including Weapons) and still have time and energy and space to work on Bunkai for them. ITF have 24, one for each hour of the Day.

I think its not good to have Kata/Poomsae/Tuls/Hyungs/Forms for just passing gradings without actual study of the Kata itself

I am not a lover of the Pinan Series of Kata, infact I tend to rattle some cages on the forums I'm on because I find they are Training Kata which are just duplications of Kushanku and Others.

Anything that has a Sho and a Dai v ersion in traditional Karate is just t oversions of the same Kata but from different Karate Masters (there's 36 official versions of Bassai/Passai Kata)

I have 13 Kata and wish I had less

6. Franco

Franco BUDO

how many does Tang Soo Do have?

7. michael mckenna

a good few i think

8. Kuyaken

Kuyaken Karate for the streets not just for trophies

depending on the lineage around 30 Hyungs (kata) are practiced in Tang Soo Do

Franco likes this.
  9. MadoreGojuRyu

MadoreGojuRyu Master

I have studied Okinawan karate, mainly Goju Ryu for several years now. The main idea I have always taken from the fewer kata, is that there is a big focus on body conditioning and bunkai. I know after traveling to Okinawa and training over there, kata are an important part of karate and help with body conditioning and muscle memory but knowing 100 kata doesnt teach you how to take a punch/kick.

Kata are a great workout and great for moving zen. but the classes I teach focus a lot on conditioning the body and striking points...knuckles, palm, chops, backfists, elbows, knees, feet....you get the idea.

If I can be of any assistance with questions feel free to hit me up directly.