Got my blue belt

Discussion in 'Taekwondo' started by Pedro, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Pedro

Pedro Baek Doo San

Last weekend i got my bluebelt in taekwondo.. here they say that blue belts have some important shit, that i don't quite understand... anyways... they took some cool pics, and i'd like to share it here :)
    1417627_444299502358881_1011946263_o.jpg
    Sparring test. The guy is a many times Military national champion, member of the Brazilian taekwondo team and got his 4th Dan that day

1425450_444330035689161_1715863180_o.jpg
    The "Poland Aisle" It's a tradition here for the ones who get a new belt, almost in every martial art. You guys have any traditions and rituals like that in your countries?

1462769_444329405689224_1301955200_o.jpg
    Me with my new belt :) the guy on the left is our Master, 5th Dan, and on the right our new 4th dan

1492509_444326705689494_1942201218_o.jpg
    that's it :)

Chrisoro, Jovan, Clive Weaver and 3 others like this.
  3. liam

liam Disciple

congrats

Pedro and Sneaker like this.
  4. Sneaker

Sneaker Warrior Monk

Con·grat·u·la·tion !!!

I like the last picture best ... and the rest are cool as blur :)

p.s. the first image 4 dan black belt military national champion is gonna fall on his back hard ... what was that ? Flying double knee kick ?

5. dmach

dmach Martial Archivest

Well Done! :D

Pedro likes this.
  6. Kuyaken

Kuyaken Karate for the streets not just for trophies

Congratulations for passing your test, although the belt whipping to me is not acceptable in the knockdown karate fraternity.

Belt whipping to me is derogatory and very similar to the Hazing rituals in the colleges and universities predominantly occuring in the good ole US of A

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hazing

For me the belt is a symbol of all my hard work, blood, sweat and tears not a bit of cloth for some "humility" test at the end of the grading.

7. Pedro

Pedro Baek Doo San

flying double roundhouse. lying like that on the air is the proper technique to reach higher on the second kick.
    That one hit my head :)

Chrisoro likes this.
  8. Pedro

Pedro Baek Doo San

It may be a little bit derogatory depending on the tradition of the group, but it's entangled in all martial arts here that use belt as a grading system. This hazing rituals thing is complicated.. I didn't feel humiliated and everyone has much respect for each other, of course, the ones who can take a hard hit will take one, but, you know.. I don't feel that anyone is disrespected or humiliated in a way that this kind of ritual could become a problem.
    I'ts very commom here in colleges too. Some of them are really tough, though, and go a little bit too far, but mostly they're ok.

Chrisoro likes this.
  9. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

well done Pedro:)

Ive never had any hazing or initiations in martial arts but had it many times in sporting environments, some of it was pretty brutal

Kuyaken likes this.
  10. Kuyaken

Seriously Pedro, it ISN'T a normal thing to do in Martial Arts, I've been doing Martial Arts for of 2 decades and it minuscule amount of clubs do it, predominantly BJJ clubs

Aaron likes this.
  11. Dave76

Dave76 Deheuol Gwyn Dragon

No, we'd make you take your top half of your gi off first. Not this watered down version Pedro's showing us;)

Love how the 4th dan is almost airborne putting so much into it...lol(y)

Anyhow. It's about group bonding, nothing at all to do with the martial arts. As Dee already said, you see this most often in sporting clubs. Usually as a way of bringing guys together as a group. And there is a method to this madness if you look at it from a psychology point of view. People who can go all out at training and then have a laugh about it afterwards will always form a stronger team, than a team made up of individuals who share nothing together outside of class.
    So perhaps for those styles which are heavily into competing you could see how this would be beneficial, BJJ is the obvious candidate there I suppose, but to be fair, Judo, Karate, TKD, Muay Thai, etc, etc, are also well known for their competitive inclinations. I'm sure they also have their own little rituals and such for taking someone from a newb at the club, to becoming a part of the family, so to speak.
    I can hear the responses now, "You don't need to whip each other to do group bonding", blah, blah, blah....
    It's a MA club, not a knitting group.
    Sure, if money were no problem then take everyone on a weekend bonding trip, with obstacle courses and trust tests, etc...
    Oh wait, nope that won't work, because most people can't afford that in either money or time......so what could we do that costs nothing and can involve everyone that wants too, without taking to much time....hmmm

Chrisoro likes this.
  12. Kuyaken

With respect Kyokushin and Knockdown is FAR FAR FAR from being a knitting group.
    It just hazing to me nothing more. Bonding can be done it far more other ways than Whipping each other, wait "Whipping each other" sounds a bit like an certain type of adult movie"
    My Club doesn't need this to bond well as we're a closely knit school as it is. I've already asking this question in the knockdown community and not one, including those in the USA think its a good thing.
    For me Its horses for courses, it being whipped is your thing then who am I to say you shouldn't enjoy it
    I'm not going to spend any more on this on this thread as I don't want to take the glory from the original Poster who I really do congratulate for passing his grading.

If the Moderators want to remove the Posts on Belt Whipping and ethos and add them to a separate thread so it can be discussed more indepth.

13. Pedro

Pedro Baek Doo San

exactly!
    But that's just the tip of the iceberg.. this just happens once a year, but the in the rest of the year we have a pretty rough time in the classes, and that's where we actually bond.
    One guy took the top half of his dobok to take the walk. But he abandoned it on the other side, so he had to walk back and take it :D

Man... you said it.. I did the math, I've been doing MA for 15 years now..didn't seem that long.. But anyway.. in the most different styles that I've trained long enough to see it happening, even in church kickboxing.
    But I wasn't saying that this is a MA thing exactly. This happens here mostly in MA schools. Perhaps this is a local thing, as you said that this is more commom in BJJ schools, may be it's a brazilian thing.
    But, chill, man, this was one of the questions of the thread.. Finding out grading traditions and rituals in other places and cultures. It could be interesting to create a new thread to attract more people for the discussion, but no need to remove posts or anything..

Anyway, I don't think this is an essential practice in MA or in other environments to bond people, but I'm not against it. It's a really fun thing to do. And as I said, we have a really respectful group, so no one is there against his/her will, we have women, children and aged people there, everyone's limit is respected, specially on this kind of activity, that is more of a psychological thing than a phyisical one. It hurts...even more from the blackbelts that have a silk, not cotton, belt, but there is no further damage after that.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
    Chrisoro likes this.
  14. Kuyaken

Pedro, you're contradicting yourself.

If if your area they like to whip each other to get off, then fine, but it is NOT the Normal thing to do and the rest of the martial arts world doesn't do it so what does that tell you.

Whipping Minors does go into the realms of Child abuse and could get the perpertrators arrested and placed on a Child offenders register etc.

For me it seems reminisant of the days of the Slavery trade as even the good "Slaves" were whipped

15. Dave76

Dave76 Deheuol Gwyn Dragon

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Oh man....thx for that. I needed a good laugh.

Chrisoro, DeeD and Kuyaken like this.
  16. Kuyaken

Glad I could be of service ;-)

17. Pedro

Pedro Baek Doo San

Can you tell me what I said and how I am contradicting myself?

That tells me that you know very deeply every MA style in everywhere around the world.

Hope that child abuse and the slavery thing were jokes...

Chrisoro likes this.
  18. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja Initiate

Getting back to the original post, well done on gaining your blue belt :)

19. Chrisoro

Chrisoro Initiate

Congrats! :)