Grand Masters Belt

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bearack, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Bearack

Bearack Initiate

Hoping someone can help with this one. First, the back story.

I've been practicing hard for my second maintenance stripe at my Dojang as I had a business trip to Chicago the next day for a week. I generally change at the Dojang, placing my uniform and belt on the wall rack while I put on my cloths on. Well, I was apparently in a hurry and accidentally grabbed my Grand Masters belt and put it into my bag unknowingly. I then spent the next week in Chicago while my grand master searched for his belt, not knowing what happened. They found mine there so eventually put 2 and 2 together.

Once I returned from Chicago, I returned his belt and apologized. He seemed okay with the situation as he used his old 7th degree belt while searching for his 8th degree belt and he seemed copacetic about the situation. However, since I returned the belt and I've been in class, he is still wearing is old, beat up 7th degree belt and his 8th degree belt is hanging on the wall in the locker rooms.

Did I somehow dishonor his belt or him? He is old school South Korean so I'm not exactly sure of the traditions. And he's been very nice to me so I want to know what I need to do to make things right for him.

Sneaker likes this.
  3. Kuyaken

Kuyaken Karate for the streets not just for trophies

GOOD QUESTION

I would like to know also

Sneaker likes this.
  4. Boo-Sabum Ben

Boo-Sabum Ben Initiate

Most instructors don't get religious about their belt. North Koreans certainly don't get too attached to their belt. To most it's not the belt itself that matters, it's the ranking that went with it. Most of the time People keep the same belt and just add the dan numerals to it.

It's probably more likely that as the older belt is a bit more worn out, it just sits better!

5. Master Fahy

Master Fahy Samurai

Bearack, To my knowledge the situation should already be resolved. I know of no tradition like that in Korea. However, some individuals may be picky about things like that. I would ask him if you have offended him in anyway, ask what you can do to correct the situation, then again apologize. If he is a decent man....he will explain, and all will be forgiven. I sometimes take my belt off during or after class to explain and show the students, I don't need a belt for them to see that I'm the Master Instructor. I tell them that I'm the same person with or without the belt. Any decent person would be the same with or without a belt. Master Fahy

Master of Nothing and Sneaker like this.
  6. liam

liam Disciple

I wouldn't sweat it, it sounds like he just more comfy with the 7th right now. Old habits you know. I probably sits real well as Ben said.

Sneaker likes this.
  7. Bad Karma

Bad Karma Warrior Monk

Personally, I have never delt with 'belt cooties'. :D I myself have my 7th in black and in red. Just reversed the belt and stripe combinations. The one I wear to class is up to whatever floats my boat.
    If he continues to not wear his 8th, then yes, curiosity dictates that I would inquire.

All in all. No harm, no foul.

Master of Nothing, liam and Sneaker like this.
  8. Sneaker

Sneaker Warrior Monk

I like all those posts above ... very interesting topic to read.

9. Eric Dufurrena

Eric Dufurrena The Iron Fist of Fun

Maybe he doesn't really believe in ranks that high. Or care, much.

Master of Nothing and Rugratzz like this.
  10. Kuyaken

Kuyaken Karate for the streets not just for trophies

Agreed, I have no stripes on my Dan grade belts, although Black & Red Block for 4th and above, but can continue to wear Black if they prefer.

11. liam

liam Disciple

I don't even know were my 6th dan bb is at. I just wear a regular bb. My GM only wants it out for special events, other than that he doesn't care either, he still wears a regular bb or none at all. The belt is a symbol, and symbols only feed the ego. Some guy walking in off the the street isn't going to know the difference between a 2nd dan or a 7 dan, nor care, whether a bb with a bunch of stripes or a red and white is higher. Only people that will know are the people in the school, and they already know what and who you are, so why bother. I always thought people with fancy belts are insecure.

12. Bad Karma

Bad Karma Warrior Monk

Insecure isn't what I would call myself. But, I did earn it. As when I was in the military. I earned E-8 so I wore it. It adds to rank structure in class. It also gives a lower belt (visually) something to strive for. If you worked hard for it, Sport it. If it boosts your ego, so be it. Be proud of what you've accomplished.
    I had a fair share of wings and other merits to put on my ACU's. I was proud to see them on. I was proud of the looks I got from my peers. Everyone always pulls the ego card on subjects such as this. Always cracks me up. Take some pride man!!!
    I do like humble pie. I want my cake and eat it too. :D

Be well

13. liam

liam Disciple

BK I don't take you as one of those guys strutting around wearing a 2 1/2 in wide belt personally monogrammed with gold trimmed and your thumb perpetually tucked inside. But hey....:whistle: ;).

I agree with your ranking about the military, but it is a different animal and on other other hand, the stripes you wore were a symbol of the rank given to you. The rank was not the stripes themselves, the stripes themselves are mere symbols of the rank you earned. When I was walking around, sure I wore my piddly rank, but also, when my company was training privately we would take our tops of and we still knew who were Capt and Top. Rank in the military is for employment (who gets paid what) and hierarchy structured purposes (who listens to who), without it there would be chaos. And that is completely different than a local martial arts school, or a chain. One cannot equate a business such as the military with hundreds of thousands of members to a school with a total enrollment of 200 and an average attendance of around 25. And remember I did say I had to wear it for special events, there is a time and place for it.

And to me, pride is knowing who I am and what I know, how I can share it and how I can help others. Not in everyone seeing it, pride is something within, not something you wear. Those are mere symbols. For me, I would rather pass on the recipe. :D

Master of Nothing likes this.
  14. Bad Karma

Bad Karma Warrior Monk

[quotefriendliam, post: 34073, member: 2971"]BK I don't take you as one of those guys strutting around wearing a 2 1/2 in wide belt personally monogrammed with gold trimmed and your thumb perpetually tucked inside. But hey....:whistle: ;).

I agree with your ranking about the military, but it is a different animal and on other other hand, the stripes you wore were a symbol of the rank given to you. The rank was not the stripes themselves, the stripes themselves are mere symbols of the rank you earned. When I was walking around, sure I wore my piddly rank, but also, when my company was training privately we would take our tops of and we still knew who were Capt and Top. Rank in the military is for employment (who gets paid what) and hierarchy structured purposes (who listens to who), without it there would be chaos. And that is completely different than a local martial arts school, or a chain. One cannot equate a business such as the military with hundreds of thousands of members to a school with a total enrollment of 200 and an average attendance of around 25. And remember I did say I had to wear it for special events, there is a time and place for it.

And to me, pride is knowing who I am and what I know, how I can share it and how I can help others. Not in everyone seeing it, pride is something within, not something you wear. Those are mere symbols. For me, I would rather pass on the recipe. :D[/quote]
    No my friend. I don't need embroidery. As long as they keep calling me The Grand Poobah, I am fine!!! :rolleyes:

Master of Nothing and liam like this.
  15. liam

liam Disciple

The Grand Poobah and his royal subjects :notworthy::notworthy:

16. Bad Karma

Bad Karma Warrior Monk

Subjects?!? Oh no sir. Simply minions at best :p

liam likes this.
  17. Master of Nothing

Master of Nothing Psychotic Pacifist

18. Otto Pozzo

Otto Pozzo I know the questions. Answers? I'm clueless.

I guess the question about the belt would be particular to the individual or Dojo. Probably no big deal.

But, man, I'm sure glad that was you and not me!

liam likes this.