Grappling vs. Striking

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussions' started by Alwi, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Alwi

Alwi Disciple

So guys I get this question coming at me from all angles a lot of time and I decided to clear the air once and for all by writing about it. It is based on my humble knowledge and experience. Luckily there are many of you on this forum who are much better than me. Perhaps you can check it out and comment your opinions on my blog. It will help me and those who i address (students, new martial artists etc.). You can read the complete post by clicking the link here or at the end of this extract. I really appreciate it.

[​IMG]
    Grappling vs. Striking: Where do I start?
    by 03alwi
    Today this is the most prominent question asked by beginner-martial artists. Thanks to the rise of Brazilian Jiujutsu (BJJ) and the success of wrestlers in the UFC it is pretty obvious that grappling has great benefits.

So why don’t we just go for grappling then? Why do many aspiring martial artists question whether to start with a striking martial art like karate, boxing or muay thai or a grappling martial art like wrestling, judo or BJJ?

The answer is quite simple actually. For generations we have watched movies that romanticized striking martial arts. If I were to speak of myself, I would say that I have watched dozens of Kung Fu movies with my favorite one being “Snake in The Monkey Shadow”. How about the original “Karate Kid”, “Blood Sport”, “Rocky 1” all the way to “Rocky 245,568”?

[​IMG]
    Grappling vs. Striking
    photo by imagerymajestic

In the 90's the Gracies started turning the tables and today the UFC is living proof that grappling has a dominant place in real fights. However we should be very careful about that statement. You do not want to go to ground and grapple on the street because if any of your opponent’s friends are around they can come and kick you in the head and only God knows what they will do to you once you are unconscious. Fight your fight standing and use your grappling abilities to stay on your feet or for getting back up if you happen to find yourself on the ground.

At this point you still don’t know whether to start with grappling, striking or combine both. So let me break it down for you: Read more of this post

Judah and james chin like this.
  3. Kuyaken

Kuyaken Karate for the streets not just for trophies

IF you look at the rules for UFC and Cage comps they are very bias to Grappling as UFC was the Gracie's "child" anyway.

It opened the eyes of many Strikers that Striking alone won't do. BUT it also opened the eyes to Grapplers that Grappling alone won't do either.

Even "Ninjitsu" the ultimate art was put to rest on the Octagon in UFC 1 & 2

It shows that a successful fighter has to be effecting on ALL aspects of fighting.

MMA is successful because of this.

If we took the TMA's and trained them the way they were originally formulated I think you'd find a better beast in the ring than an MMA'ist

Take a look at this below. traditional art Kyokushin mixed with Judo on a traditional tatemi arena

Judah, james chin and chris halkett like this.
  4. Alwi

Alwi Disciple

Very good comment, do you mind me pasting it on my blog so my readers/students can benefit?

Kuyaken likes this.
  5. Kuyaken

Kuyaken Karate for the streets not just for trophies

of course my friend

6. chris halkett

chris halkett Warrior Monk

cool video loveing the head butts not sure if they were allowed or just sneeking them in

Kuyaken likes this.
  7. Alwi

Alwi Disciple

come on guys I need your expert feed-back here help a brother out :)

8. chris halkett

cant really comment alwi cos i aint no expert but id say they both are great starts you cant grapple a guy if hes knocked ur ass clean out and you cant box with a guy whos got you pinned to a table it all depend on the situation people shouldnt worry to much about it and just do the one thats the most fun for them you wont stick at anything if you dont enjoy it

Judah and dmach like this.
  9. dmach

dmach Martial Archivest

Wouldn't say I'm an expert but I'll give it a go...

To me Martial Arts is a personal journey. Regradlless if you start with a Striking MA or Grappling, in the end it needs to be what works for you as an individual.

The question most laymen will ask is usually "Can a Grappler beat a striker?" and vice versa. My answer is it depends on the individual. Can a grappler get a striker to the ground? Yes he can, but don't be complacent. There are fighters out there that will make you pay for coming into their striking range and it will hurt... ALOT!!! Once on the ground however, the grappler is at home and after that the fight is over.

On the street? Going to the ground is rarely a good idea, because as your article stated, if your opponent has friends, you are going to be in a world of trouble.

In short, a Striker has to learn how to deal with a grappler. Learn enough that he can at least buy enough time for escape or make the job harder for the grappler to get the choke/arm bar/ankle lock/whatever. Grapplers would be wise to learn how to close the range with a Striker without copping an absolute pummeling in the process.

chris halkett and Kuyaken like this.
  10. james chin

james chin expanding my martial skill

i will say it depends on situation. for me i train mostly striking arts n will keep my opponent out of range or knock him out the moment he gets in but the moment i got taken down or fell down i immediately roll back up. so rarely theres a chance someone can keep me on the ground but i havent fought with experts grappler full contact so i wont take the chance so i went to a grappling school n focus primarily on how to escapes from lock n submission and how to get out and up fast, so u can say i focus mostly on defence and counter when it comes to ground game as i believe ground game takes long time n im more of a striker.

but when it comes to others i usually will advice women n small guys to focus a little more n ground game as opponent will have higher chance of taking them down as compared to big guys

Kuyaken, chris halkett and dmach like this.
  11. Judah

Judah fights in tights

Here's my 0.02 worth.

Martial arts aren't always about combat, sure, by the dictionary definition they are bit people train for many different reasons and self defence is only one of those. I consider myself a sportsman more than anything else. That being said, MMA is also a sport. Sure it can be used to great effect for self defence purposes, as can karate, judo and pretty much all martial arts (I have doubts about aikido). Grappling certainly has it's place and a fighter who can't grapple will certainly have problems when fighting against an opponent who has grappling skills as well as striking skills. Unless of course the one with grappling skills is knocked clean out before entering grappling range. Yet I've never seen a pair of strikers remain at striking distance for an entire bout. Be it boxing, kickboxing (any variation thereof) or a TMA such as karate or taekwondo, the participants almost inevitably enter grappling range at some point. As you said, Alwi, in a real fight staying on your feet is of paramount importance yet knowledge of grappling and takedowns is also important to help avoid being taken down.

I'm my personal opinion, coming from nearly 19 years in martial arts, 6 years in the armed forces and 8 years as a nightclub bouncer, I believe if you can't punch, you can't fight, most fights start at punching range and a well placed left or right can end a confrontation in one go. However, my training in judo/ju Jitsu has been invaluable as has the small amount of tai chi I trained in, limiting oneself to only one range will always provide a weakness for the opponent to exploit. If one wants to be a truly effective fighter, then one needs a knowledge of all aspects of martial arts.

In my mind martial arts (for fighters) is kind of like a tree, with punching being the main trunk or core with kicking and grappling being branches that shoot out from either side. Ignore one element though and you don't have a complete tree.

DeeD, james chin and chris halkett like this.
  12. chris halkett

nicely said judah

Judah likes this.
  13. Judah

Judah fights in tights

Thanks Chris. :) (y)

14. Alwi

Alwi Disciple

Thanks! Great answers from all you guys, especially how you answer from own experience. I'm sure some more great answers from the others will follow.

15. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

For me like many others it depends what your primary style would be, I am a striker first and foremost and play to my strengths , I have a limited amount of decent ground skill but understand the mechanics of locks and leverage so use that to try and better my position so I can strike. I think the main short comings with most of us is that we have an ego that wants to prove we can beat anybody at anything even if that is not your style or strength , We see this with many pro ufc fights - guy is a amazing wrestler or jits guy wants to stand and bang , the striker who is an ex this and that champ decides that he now knows enough jits aand wrestling in his 6 week camp that he can now hang with the best of them , i understand evolving but stick to your strengths and work on your short comings . Jack of all trades ...........

Kuyaken and james chin like this.
  16. Alwi

Alwi Disciple

17. htsr55gsf

htsr55gsf Initiate

I think you'd find a better beast in the ring than an MMA'ist,they were originally formulated .

18. Alwi

Alwi Disciple

I see

19. htsr55gsf

htsr55gsf Initiate

Oh ye...

20. Eric Dufurrena

Eric Dufurrena The Iron Fist of Fun

This time around I would suggest someone new to contemplate BJJ as their first art, and to supplement in dojo training with the online Gracie University training. They have a refreshing take on white to blue belt that a lot of people would enjoy. One of the hard parts about doing BJJ is the very competitive nature of rolling with other students, and your performance dictating your advancement. Gracie University uses white to blue belt as a time to learn most of the actual self-defense moves that also incorporate the live rolling. There are videos on YouTube, check them out!

21. I was born and raised as a striker but fell in love with grappling. Each is equally important.