Gun Vs Knife

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussions' started by cqcacademy, Nov 27, 2013.

?

Knife or Gun

1. Knife

53.8%
  2. Gun

46.2%
  1. Caneman

Caneman Test all things.

This is the reason I continually and highly recommend weapon training for martial artists.
    There are so many advantages, but the culmination of it is that you transcend to the "extension of your body" mode once you get decent at it.
    Then when you live or have to visit places like where Clive lives, and only criminals can carry knives or guns... then you carry a good pen, or a cane or utilize your belt. And then you apply...

2. Jovan

Jovan Disciple

I would choose the knife, here in Holland it is legal to stab someone with an knife if its self-defense. Its not legal to shoot someone.

3. Sneaker

Sneaker Warrior Monk

Sounds like lawmaker/government wanted to see the fight much longer o_O
    (Sorry, meant to be a joke)

Jovan likes this.
  4. cqcacademy

cqcacademy Initiate

I agree, weapons training is very practical and can save your life. Well if you learn practical weapons systems a least. Learning Chinese hook swords or Viking sword and shield probably won't come in handy on today's streets. However if you are handy with a knife, stick, or cane attackers should be wary.

5. cqcacademy

cqcacademy Initiate

I also wanted to take a minute to point out the score so far knives are preferred.

6. Master Fahy

Master Fahy Samurai

Criminals prefer guns! Plain and simple! Use a stun gun/Taser. www.taser.com/‎ Master Fahy

7. Dave76

Dave76 Deheuol Gwyn Dragon

Maybe in USA, but here in Australia, it's more likely going to be a screwdriver, box cutter , used dirty syringe or something of that nature.

Sneaker likes this.
  8. Sneaker

Sneaker Warrior Monk

Are you saying you are one of the criminals ? :eek:

9. Caneman

Caneman Test all things.

Your "average" "lower class" criminal is utilizing the crime of opportunity... with tools you state above.
    But 100% of the time, a criminal obtains a gun illegally because they cannot own them legally, as they are criminals. It is few and far between when an average law abiding citizen decides to commit a criminal act. And usually, if they cross that line, they understand the consequence and don't care because the act the last (even in their mind).
    Insanity is the exception... but legally the insane cannot own a gun, but alas, all the insane are not known until sometimes too late.
    In the US, if you look at murder statistics... the number one tool (overwhelming all other tools) is categorized as a HAMMER. I believe this includes other blunt objects... but FBI calls it a hammer. I haven't looked at the numbers in a while... but it is fact. Can find the link if you want.

10. Master Fahy

Master Fahy Samurai

If you laid out all of the things you said and added a gun in front of a criminal and ask them to choose one.....I'd bet that they would pick a gun 9 out of 10 times.
    Takes one to know one! LOL!
    I'll agree with you on that however, please read the above comment about,"If you laid out all the things..." Master Fahy

11. Master Fahy

Master Fahy Samurai

I just checked out your stats above and it clearly says 5 for knife and 6 for guns! Master Fahy

Sneaker and Dave76 like this.
  12. Dave76

I don't disagree with anything either of you is saying. Simply meant that because of how incredibly difficult it is to obtain anything other than a low calibre hunting rifle here in Oz, armed robberies and the like are usually committed with machete's, axe's, screwdriver's and such. When you do hear of violence with a gun it's almost always a 0.22 rifle. I would have to hunt online to try and find an instance of a hand gun or semi-auto rifle being used. They've been illegal for nearly 20 yrs now for anyone but police, armed services or a very select few professional hunters carrying out culling on large rural properties.

:LOL:LOL...

13. Caneman

Caneman Test all things.

Zero disagreement.
    A predator will always choose the greatest advantage.
    My statement is much more along the social behavioral scale.
    They will find a way. "Smarter ones" find better ways. Obtain their "criminal guns" from other criminals... build bombs out of fertilizer... and the like...
    You can't legislate away evil.
    It is why certain individuals ( ;) ) will always be required to stand watch 24x7... regardless of what the public is limited to, or not limited to by legal means.

14. Master Fahy

Master Fahy Samurai

I'll agree with that! I was simply stating that the criminal would prefer the gun. I've run into kids with guns, imagine what you would do if the kid just had a hammer, boxcutter....etc! Kids commit crime as well as adults! When people go to the club, there's always someone there with a gun....I'd hate to think everyone there has a knife or gun! Master Fahy

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  15. Jovan

Jovan Disciple

In my neighbourhood, there are kids now with pepperspray. Its hard to defend yourself against that. At my TKD dojo we train a lot self-defense against knifes, bats, and sometimes even against guns.

16. Dave76

There's a guy called Frank Dux who can help you with training to be able to fight when blinded and such;)
    Even Master Fahy's beloved taser's are powerless against him:wideyed:

True storey........

No really!

Jovan and Caneman like this.
  17. Master Fahy

Master Fahy Samurai

Some of the pepper spray out there has a weaker strain of pepper and allows you to fight through it as long as it wasn't sprayed directly into your eyes. Some people's tolerance to pepper spray is higher than others.
    Taser's do work really well against most people, as does pepper spray and other different objects however, everything has it's limit and doesn't always work on everybody. Some people's pain tolerance is much higher than others! As for Frank Dux, I'll say this.... "stick to the Bloodsport movie!" Master Fahy

Jovan likes this.
  18. Caneman

Caneman Test all things.

"Bricks don't hit back." :)

19. Sneaker

Sneaker Warrior Monk

Come on ... it has to be a joke like Master Ken ?

20. Master Fahy

Master Fahy Samurai

Frank Dux is suppose to be the one that the movie "Bloodsport" was about! Jean-Claude Van Damme played the character of Frank Dux. Funny, nobody heard of him before then! Master Fahy