Hanbo, having a blast learning Hanbo anybody know any good moves?

Discussion in 'Ninjitsu' started by Traderjoe, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Traderjoe

Traderjoe Disciple

Having fun any suggestions?

Mario Paul and Deborah like this.
  3. MadoreGojuRyu

MadoreGojuRyu Master

well its the same length as a cane but doesnt have the hook benefit. I would say short fast strikes to the head and shoulders area mainly. anything else would seem less effective unless you get a few 'jab' shots into vitals, but thats also a smaller target area. and you could always setup a nasty low kick while attacking high with the stick strikes.

Deborah likes this.
  4. Deborah

Deborah Ninja

I dunno Joe....hey that rhymed, but I sure would love to start learning this great and wonderful art, peace and respects my martial friend xxXXXXxxXXXXxx

Joe Lopez likes this.
  5. Aaron

Aaron Shadow Warrior

get Hatsumi's books stick fighting and advanced stick fighting, the first one focuses on hanbo.

Learn the spins and hand switches(cant remember how to spell the term for this on hanbo), strikes, kami. If you have a training partner insertions and throws can come into play as well. You should be able to do the kihhon happo with any weapon including the hanbo as well.:)

Joe Lopez and Mario Paul like this.
  6. Aaron

Aaron Shadow Warrior

learn how to throw it as well, use a plastic or foam on for this outside.
    Remember dont get to attached to a weapon.
    Even though these can break katanas.

Joe Lopez likes this.
  7. Michael Spivey

Michael Spivey Warrior Monk

Joe, Far too many to even begin to list them, the Hanbo is just one of the weapons taught in the Toyama Ryu Batto Jutsu. I helped my Hanbo and short sword technique and ability with a study and practice of escrima/arnis. I also enjoy practice with the Shinbo which is basically a modified Hanbo.

Aaron, Joe Lopez and Battodoka07 like this.
  8. Battodoka07

Battodoka07 Warrior Monk

You can always
    You can always watch a few vidoes online just to see what other people train like. Talk with a few people at your dojo how train with the Hanbo, always great getting first hand pratical training.

Michael, do you also do Toyama Ryu Iaido?

Joe Lopez likes this.
  9. Michael Spivey

Michael Spivey Warrior Monk

I was taught and practice Toyama Ryu Iaijutsu, Iaido itself does not hold very much interest for me although I know the katas from two or three different Iaido schools. Way less formal, much more combative and the kneeling/sitting areas are not used. The Toyama Ryu was taught in/to the Japanese military during the WW2 era and earlier. The stress is on fluid motion, not accentuating individual movements.

I also practice Toyama Ryu Kenjutsu. Again not nearly as formal and nor as many rules, and matches are "kobudo" meaning in part the entire body is a target with any part of the "blade" (Boken or Shanai). Strikes in kobudo kenjutsu would never be allowed or scored in kendo. As cutting actual bodies is "frowned" upon - GRIN, years ago I cut in class uncured hams and pork roasts and reed mats "Tameshigiri" instead. We had a fantastic barbeque following those classes.

Joe Lopez likes this.
  10. Battodoka07

Battodoka07 Warrior Monk

Very cool, it would be nice to train with you someday. I do Nakamura Battodo and love to get input from other sword practitioners. Need to do some more cutting on Tameshigiri though, before I go to Japan to test for my shodan. Another style I would like to learn is Yagyu Shinkage Ryu. Your classes (especially the barbeques :) sound like a lot of fun.

Joe Lopez likes this.
  11. Mario Paul

Mario Paul Samurai

Great minds think alike my friend. I was going to suggest the same book.

Joe Lopez likes this.
  12. Mario Paul

Mario Paul Samurai

Too many suggestions..

You cannot learn Hanbo techniques from a book. Sure you can read about them and get somewhat familiar, but personally I do not think you can really grasp the full concept.

Best to practice Hanbo techniques with people that have a good tolerance for pain...hahaha.

Aaron likes this.
  13. Aaron

Aaron Shadow Warrior

very true... a book is only good for reference, proper instruction from someone is key.

Joe Lopez likes this.